Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 02:22 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Seems they are way behind schedule, corruption and massive cost over runs seem to be a part of the problem,, Seems every place that has the Olympics ends up costing tax payers big time, i think its time to put the Olympics in a single venue and have costs spread out over all participating countries.The upcoming Rio games look like a disaster in the making..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
What do I care if the citizens of Rio have to pay a lot of tax money to hold an event that they spent tens of millions to campaign to receive?

Whenever the city of Houston gets the stupid idea to chase the summer Olympics, I'm very vocal in my opposition.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems they are way behind schedule, corruption and massive cost over runs seem to be a part of the problem,, Seems every place that has the Olympics ends up costing tax payers big time, i think its time to put the Olympics in a single venue and have costs spread out over all participating countries.The upcoming Rio games look like a disaster in the making..
It's a good thought, but.....

1. Where do you have it?
2. Countries like having it because it showcases them, if that ends, only one city gets the attention plus the millions in profits.
3. Home field advantage.

I don't think you'd get the world to agree on it.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What do I care if the citizens of Rio have to pay a lot of tax money to hold an event that they spent tens of millions to campaign to receive?

Whenever the city of Houston gets the stupid idea to chase the summer Olympics, I'm very vocal in my opposition.
I would think the average citizen of Rio did not choose to spend a ton of campaign money on a one-off sports event.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I would think the average citizen of Rio did not choose to spend a ton of campaign money on a one-off sports event.
Brazilians celebrate Olympics bid in Rio de Janeiro - CNN.com

Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This doesn't tell me anything useful. "thousands of people celebrated..." How many thousand? Either way that's not even close to the majority of Rio, let alone Brazil. I don't see why the average middle class or especially poor person wants their tax money diverted to this. You can't blame the population for probably only a handful of people's decision to host the Olympics.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
Let me point out that Vancouver, British Columbia, held the Winter Olympics in 2010.

The ENTIRE cost of the Games has been paid off, THIS year.

Calgary also has held the Winter Games, in the past, and Montreal had the summer games .

Good management, and proper budgeting are the keys to a successful Games.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
This doesn't tell me anything useful. "thousands of people celebrated..." How many thousand? Either way that's not even close to the majority of Rio, let alone Brazil. I don't see why the average middle class or especially poor person wants their tax money diverted to this. You can't blame the population for probably only a handful of people's decision to host the Olympics.
Maybe it's different in your city, but here in Houston, getting thousands of people to turn out at a park to celebrate this would only happen if a sizable chunk of the population was excited about it.

Additionally, I'd bet that most people believe the hype presented to them and never hear the reality. When Houston was making a bid, our newspaper and tv news was all "rah, rah, this will be great". You never heard about all of the associated problems. Well, I'm guessing that 90% of the coverage was positive and contained no "realities".

Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that the Brazilian government did a good job preparing for the games, but it is transforming the city. While infrastructure is still lacking, it has progressed dramatically in the last 5 or so years. People in lower middle class now have access to better jobs, many of the poorest of the poor are climbing out of the bottom of the economic spectrum, etc. They do seem to be way behind on preparations and wasting a lot of money, but lives are improving from what I have seen.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
who cares? I cant stand the Olympics. if countries want it and the Olympic committee chooses cities (based on money being given to Olympic committee members) then that's all find and dandy with me. if it works out, fine. if it doesn't work out, I don't care. im not sure why we obsess over the Olympics and whether or not it will be a success. there was all that annoying complaining about sochi ahead of the Olympics there. not my problem and I don't find the problem the least bit interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events