Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

This is a very disturbing story. Faulty instructions, poor training, non thinking cop plus drunk protester.

Given what we know how would you have voted?

Jury can’t decide if cop who destroyed woman’s eyeballs with pepper spray should go to prison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 AM

966 posts, read 1,346,736 times
Here is what he shot her with, JPX Pepper Gun Home
they clearly state, stops threats at a distance, point blank is not distance. All the police forces that I am aware of that use less than lethal methods such as tazers, pepper spray, tear gas, require the officers to be shot with the equipment so they know what it is capable of doing to a person

Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Send the cop to jail for stupidity. We have too many of these in the species. One less in society won't hurt.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Cops who are issued any type of weapon need to understand the correct way to use it, and dangers of misusing. Just because he got "annoyed" doesn't give him the right to blast pepper spray inches away from someone's eyes. There's no excuse. He blinded that woman for life.

I can't believe the jury was undecided if the cop was at fault in this situation. Makes me pray I never get in a situation where my life is in the hands of a group of 12 morons.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is a very disturbing story. Faulty instructions, poor training, non thinking cop plus drunk protester.

Given what we know how would you have voted?

Jury can’t decide if cop who destroyed woman’s eyeballs with pepper spray should go to prison

Yes, that sob should be in prison. For a long time.

There's simply no excuse.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Horrendous, but she has no responsibility to not resist arrest because she was drunk?

Give me a break.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I'm sure most of us agree she should not have been drunk and she should not have "moved around" to resist arrest. But should she lose her eyesight over this? Really?
The copy belongs in jail.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:44 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
This type of pepper spray delivery system should NOT be used in close quarters, obviously. She should not have resisted, but did not deserve to be blinded. Hard to make a judgement here. I am willing to bet that if he had it to do over knowing how it would end, he would certainly NOT have used that (cops ARE human beings as much as some in this forum think otherwise). I am sure the department will receive a major lawsuit out of this one. Perhaps this system would be better employed in riot type situations (my opinion).

Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 PM

368 posts, read 396,307 times
Once an officer decides he is going to place you under arrest, there is nothing you can do at that point in time. If you feel you have been wronged in any way, we have courts designed for that. You don't mouth off, you don't resist arrest, you don't put your hands on an officer, spit on him or anything of the sort. One, anything you do or say can be used against you later. Two, if you choose to get physical, something like this, as unfortunate as it is, can transpire. You'd think it's common sense, but common sense these days, well, is not so common. I'm sorry for what happened to Ms. Hernandez, but it irks me that so many of these incidents that make officers polarizing figures COMMENCE with people like her, people who pick the wrong place and time to voice and/or act out their frustrations.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
That jury needs to be smacked upside their heads. Of course he needs to go to prison! Why are people so reluctant to hold cops to the same standards the rest of us are held to? They get away with far too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events