Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What isn't explained here is that the employer isn't being forced to do anything.

Its the employer's insurance company that has to comply with a minimal mandate set by the ACA. All the employer does is pay the bill (and employees often pay a large share of health insurance costs).

Not only should women be able to take advantage of a full range of birth control options, health insurance costs will be lower in the long run because of a reduction in payments for maternity costs.

One more 5-4 decision by the Supreme Court that is purely driven by ideology. I've got to hand it to this court. They handed down more 5-4 decisions on controversial topics than any Supreme Court in at least the last 70 years. The justices probably are upset about how "partisan" this country has become. They should go look in a mirror. All these 5-4 decisions are a part of the problem.
That is very true. The majority of employer insurance includes a premium to be paid for by the employee. So in essence, that portion of the employee's OWN MONEY is paying for the contraceptive coverage. Can an employee do whatever they want with their wages? Apparently, not. Are "Morality Clauses" going to required for private for profit employees also? You can get FIRED if you employer considers you private behavior goes against THEIR religion, like using contraceptives? If you laugh, don't. There was a bill in Arizona a few years ago which would allow a private employer to fire an employee for using contraceptives (male too or only females???) if birth control was against the the employers religion.

Welcome back to the good old days (which I fully remember) when employers would not hire females of childbearing age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
The saddest thing about the decision is that it WAS 5-4. Should've been a slam dunk 9-0.

Now can anyone tell me why you need insurance to buy a pill???? No, I didn't think so....

Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
My problem is the hypocritical nature of why Hobby Lobby was fighting for this. They claimed it was against their religious beliefs. They shouldn't have to pay for something they don't believe in. Well, my issue is that they had no problem MAKING money off of something they didn't believe in.

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection - Forbes

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Some people feel individuals should take some responsibility for themselves while others feel the government needs to oversee everything and we just wait in line for our pellets to be dispensed.
Hey, do you know if penile implants & Viagara are covered under this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
The saddest thing about the decision is that it WAS 5-4. Should've been a slam dunk 9-0.

Now can anyone tell me why you need insurance to buy a pill???? No, I didn't think so....
Because it's cheaper than buying out of pocket? Just a guess. Unless you go to Planned Parenthood....oh wait, there are those pesky republicans defunding Planned Parenthood left & right. Just can't win with those guys. And by the way, Hobby Lobby is UNINFORMED about how IUD's & the morning after pill work. They believe it's an abortion device. They are completely wrong & yet when confronted with facts, they refuse to believe it. You can't fix stupid.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM

287 posts, read 506,683 times
Putting aside the "if we had universal healthcare this wouldn't be an issue" argument, I agree with the ruling on principle. In practice, however, I'm afraid that this is just the tip of a very slippery slope. How many companies are we about to see suddenly become religious to exploit this ruling?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There is no mention of contraceptives in the New Testament, though such things existed back then. Jesus must have had more important issues to deal with so "The Bible" doesn't really come into this discussion.
Its Old Testament but most still consider it central to Christianity - "Thou shall not kill". I think whether or not these forms of contraception constitute killing is debatable, but the owners of Hobby Lobby think they do. To force them to violate their core religious beliefs would be unconscionable in a society that respects religious freedom - especially given there are 16 other forms of birth control hobby lobby does pay for in addition to those available to employees on their own dime.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Its Old Testament but most still consider it central to Christianity - "Thou shall not kill". I think whether or not these forms of contraception constitute killing is debatable, but the owners of Hobby Lobby think they do. To force them to violate their core religious beliefs would be unconscionable in a society that respects religious freedom - especially given there are 16 other forms of birth control hobby lobby does pay for in addition to those available to employees on their own dime.

Contraception isn't killing. It's prevention.

I'm not going to get into the abortion debate, because THAT is a desperate measure for a desperate situation. Not my place to judge someone else's desperate actions, but if I was the fetus, I'd probably rather be aborted by parents that don't want me, rather than cooked to death in a car like the poor child who is being discussed in another active thread on this forum.

If Hobby Lobby doesn't want to pay for contraception, they are supporting unplanned pregnancy.

If they don't want to pay for abortion, that is a whole 'nother topic, and my opinion is that they should not have to include that in their healthcare plan. I don't think most healthcare plans include abortion.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:48 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Isn't this an aspect within American law of corporations being treated legally as individuals, with individual right of action?

I find it all fascinating, and expect that over time due to public opinion congress will enact laws which limit the extent to which corporations can be treated as individuals.

But this decision seems to shows that SCOTUS already is beginning to exclude large corporations from the definition of individual.

Or, am I completely on the wrong track of understanding this? Educate me, law nerds!

Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
The next thing is that your employer will be able to decide which diseases you can be treated for. Since we all know that HPV and HIV are diseases of promiscuity in the eyes of these wingnut judges, will the ability to exclude them be next in line now that 'corporate religion' has now been made a reality by the SCOTUS?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hey, do you know if penile implants & Viagara are covered under this?
I have no idea. Are you looking for a plan that covers them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events