Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
Was he on psych meds?

Probably.
What does that have to do with anything? I'm on "psych meds" and however irritated I am by silly statements like the one you just made, I'd never shoot you or anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 06:48 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
What does that have to do with anything? I'm on "psych meds" and however irritated I am by silly statements like the one you just made, I'd never shoot you or anyone else?
I'll shoot her for you. I'm off my meds.

By the way, that was a joke.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,877 times
I wonder if his parents noticed any depression or changes in the kid. Depression meds can produce more suicidal and violent thoughts and actions, especially so in folks under 20.

He used a gun owned by his dad. How many times has that happened in these kinds of cases. I personally don't think it's good to teach kids to kill animals. It's not for surviving and food, it's for the thrill to kill. Sad the animal can't shoot back. Kids like this tend to grow up with no compassion and love for animals, and I think that's sad and the wrong thing to be teaching youngsters.

I agree about the violence on TV and the changes since the days when TV had guidelines and most stuff was G rated. The old cartoons had violence in them but it wasn't done in a way that desensitized kids to violence. Look at how graphic news stories have become, "raw video", that would have never made the cut. And how many acts of violence has the kid seen by 18? And just how many acts of real violence have their kids seen in the news or on you tube? They are used to it on the screen and on the news. And then don't forget those lovely gangster type "music" videos. Things were better when you opened the TV Guide and it was Andy Griffith, Ozzie and Harriet and Bonanza and that type of shows.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:02 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
One thing is for sure: there is way too much violence on tv and available to kids online.

Remember when that junk wasn't allowed on tv? Remember when there were rules about violence in movies and tv?

Kids today see so much of it that they're desensitized to it. They even see it in cartoons so it's like make believe to them.

Even the best of parents would have a hard time keeping their kids away from it when it's everywhere. Also, many states are too free with guns and kids can easily get hold of guns. Combine the violence they see with the easy availability of guns and what do you get?
All what you said points to bad parents, not anything else.

Gasoline is easy to obtain, do you see kids running around making moletov cocktails in the USA? Why not?

In typical fashion, blaming everything and anything except the source of the problem is the order of the day?

Sorry, the best of parents don't have the problems you wrote about. The mediocre and ill prepared parents? Sure.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'll take #14 in the "I hope the NRA is happy" post pool.
Actually NRA has long been an advocate of gun safety and working with kids so they don't do things like this. How about taking #14 in the "I hope the creators of Grand Theft Auto and all the other video games that glorify shooting and then show the victims standing up and walking away are happy" post pool. I still go back to the shocking newsfeed in Seattle about 10 years ago when a gang member was shot in the process of shooting someone else. The news people shoved a mike into his face as he was carted off to the ambulance. They asked him how he felt. He said, "If I knowed how much it hurt to be shot I never woulda shot nobody." I think that says a mouthful.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:16 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Actually NRA has long been an advocate of gun safety and working with kids so they don't do things like this. How about taking #14 in the "I hope the creators of Grand Theft Auto and all the other video games that glorify shooting and then show the victims standing up and walking away are happy" post pool. I still go back to the shocking newsfeed in Seattle about 10 years ago when a gang member was shot in the process of shooting someone else. The news people shoved a mike into his face as he was carted off to the ambulance. They asked him how he felt. He said, "If I knowed how much it hurt to be shot I never woulda shot nobody." I think that says a mouthful.
What did he think it was like (?)... put a Band-Aid on it and go home? Rather than video game bad influence, it's more like unbelievably stupid or grossly under educated.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 PM

170 posts, read 133,798 times
So many people are in an uproar about Ebola and wanting the government to step in and quarantine people and to ban flights but how many people have died in the USA? ONLY ONE. Now this is the 74th shooting since Sandy Hook and many, many have been left dead yet we can't even get background checks before people buy guns. Talk about self-serving misguided outrage! It is obvious that "we the people" have decided that gun violence is fully acceptable.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
So many people are in an uproar about Ebola and wanting the government to step in and quarantine people and to ban flights but how many people have died in the USA? ONLY ONE. Now this is the 74th shooting since Sandy Hook and many, many have been left dead yet we can't even get background checks before people buy guns. Talk about self-serving misguided outrage! It is obvious that "we the people" have decided that gun violence is fully acceptable.
How would a background check prevented this shooting or Sandy Hook?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,560 times
This guy was Homecoming Prince. Spoiled, entitled POS couldn't handle rejection (for once) and decided to take it out on others!

It's about time we had armed guards and metal detectors in schools. If the President can be protected with armed security, why not the kids? Gun bans just aren't the solution. Do you really think he would wake up a think "I'm going to go on a massacre today, ah, no guns available, I guess I'll just do charity work instead". If you ban guns, you better start banning pressure cookers too. These troubled kids aren't going away.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
why ask you know i know. the kid gets tired of being kicked around by bullies (you know who they are) and then when the school wont do anything, he does something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events