Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:23 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,100,265 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the book, but the same liberal education elite who are brainwashing our kids are the ones who threw geography out of the schools about 50 years ago. They then threw out half of history lessons and revised the rest. If Kernen had gone to school before the liberal elites had made these changes, he wouldn't have acted so stupid during the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Its possible that he may not have known that Ireland switched from the Irish Pound a few years back. Or, he could have been making a joke with an anti-EU undertones. Given other things he's said, my guess is the latter.
Did you watch the clip? If that's a joke, he's the worst comedian in existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I haven't read the book, but the same liberal education elite who are brainwashing our kids are the ones who threw geography out of the schools about 50 years ago. They then threw out half of history lessons and revised the rest. If Kernen had gone to school before the liberal elites had made these changes, he wouldn't have acted so stupid during the interview.
I rather doubt Ireland fixing their currency to the Euro in 1999 and their full conversion in in 2002 would have been covered 50 years ago, but perhaps the teachers back then had unusual foresight.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,926 times
Wow, that transcript is so 'second hand embarrassment' kind of reading . However, I will say that it appears that not many people understand that Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain, and that Ireland is it's own nation, which happens to be a part of the European Union and uses the Euro.

When I visited Ireland in 2013, and planned to hang out in London too, I had both forms of currency: Pounds for England, and Euros for Ireland.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Wow, that transcript is so 'second hand embarrassment' kind of reading . However, I will say that it appears that not many people understand that Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain, and that Ireland is it's own nation, which happens to be a part of the European Union and uses the Euro.

When I visited Ireland in 2013, and planned to hang out in London too, I had both forms of currency: Pounds for England, and Euros for Ireland.
Is this for real? Are there really lots of people that you know in real life who don't understand this in your area? What do they think The Troubles and the IRA are/were all about?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 PM

243 posts, read 282,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post

Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain, it is part of the United Kingdom. Great Britain is the island that is home to England, Scotland, and Wales...Northern Ireland shares the same island as the Republic of Ireland

Old 11-05-2014, 12:57 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,926 times
sorry for using Great Britain and United Kingdom interchangeably. It appears to ruffle feathers.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:28 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times
Let's not get too pedantic here.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Oh, yes, of course, his faux pas is the fault of that dreaded bogeyman. Perhaps in a revised version of his book, he can make mention of the same. 'How I was done in by ... the liberal elite!'

Old 11-05-2014, 04:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Is this for real? Are there really lots of people that you know in real life who don't understand this in your area? What do they think The Troubles and the IRA are/were all about?
Perhaps they thought it was about Irish independence... for the entire island.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 PM

520 posts, read 775,677 times
Ok, so let me get this straight... You all believe that this guy who:
has a Masters in molecular biology from MIT
and
who had just been in Scotland last month
and
hosts a financial TV show where they talk about things like global finance

doesn't know anything about the geography of the British Isles and or international currencies? Come on.

Look at the transcript. Supposedly he just was blindsided by the fact that Ireland uses the Euro. His response: "Why do you have Euros in Ireland?" Followed by, "I'd use the Pound." Which is then followed by another round of "Why would you do thats?"

Here is a little reference on the style of delivery:
Deadpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As they say in the UK AND Ireland, I think he was taking the **** (rhymes with miss) out of Mr. Shanahan.

Last edited by MidwestRedux; 11-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: censorship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events