Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 12:15 PM

91 posts, read 103,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Anything to help people stop this ridiculous habit.

Another poster board can be to simply bold print the price per pack X 1.5 pack a day X 356 and place an equal sign and a picture of a dying lung cancer victim on the other side of the equal sign.
Pennyone, great point...

Also, keep in mind our GDP includes all of the following in the USA...

The sellling of the cigs
The hospitalization of the cancer patients
The burial of the same

I do realize that many people are going to be hell-bent on destroying themselves regardless of stickers on packs, sin taxes, public admonishment, no-smoking areas in public, etc. If you took away their cigs, they would surely find some other way to commit suicide on the "installment plan"....also called

"Pay me now or pay me later"
-The Grim Reaper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 12:21 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Ok that tongue scared the **** out of me. I don't even smoke. Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Seeing a display of cigarette-damaged internal organs and body parts at George Washington U's medical school over the course of months is what helped me to quit back in the 1980s. Haven't wanted a cigarette since.
I think just seeing a cadaver that has died from any self-inflicted situation, or even simply diseases, makes one more appreciative of the health we have, and more likely to live a healthy lifestyle...

Indeed, we all die one day. Regardless of religious beliefs, the body itself is finite and delicate. We are truly the only and ultimate custodians of the same for the duration of life. That being said, life, and a healthy body, at any age, is a miracle/mystery/work of beauty. Even in its' finitetude, it is worthy of all the care we can give, while we have the same, in all ways..

Old 12-06-2014, 12:36 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,560 times
America's problem isn't smoking it's obesity, and "fat-shaming" is a no-no so I don't know if scare tactics about being fat will fly in the US.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
These pictures are the reason people smoke ridiculous amounts and die. The message is clear: "I'm Leroy and I cant speak and breathe through a hole because THATS HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO QUIT SMOKING". When a smoker sees that picture, it is logical they will be less likely to quit, simply because quitting smoking is so easy (speaking from experience here), that there is no reason someone would let it hurt them so much, unless they've been brainwashed into thinking how difficult it is to quit. Of course, if we let the truth out and let the public know how easy it is to quit smoking, everyone might just start smoking, and then nobody might quit since it would be so socially acceptable. Point is simple, most people who dont smoke do it because they've been brainwashed, and most people who cant quit smoking do it because theyve also been brainwashed. There are some people who can think for themselves (and dont smoke because of it), I'd say about 1% of total population....
You are mentioning "groupthink"......I feel everything that "they say", per experts, indeed is a form of groupthink. That does not necessarily mean all groupthink is bad, or that all people who think for themselves will make the right choice as well.....

The ideal is for someone to make their own choice on anything in life, including to smoke or not. Of course we will take into factor everything we hear out there on the same. Also, we will take into factor how bad it makes you feel, which has the beauty of subjectivity.

I quit at 29, as I got tired of having what I felt as "old man throat", having to cough up phlegm in the morning. I did because it made me feel like crap, not from experts, POP's(Pics on Packs), or anything else.

I think it is a general consensus that the smoke of cigarettes rips open your lungs like razors over time, not to mention the cancer. Even worse for chew. At this point, if someone takes the option to destroy themselves, with knowledge of what this does, it is nothing but subconscious destruction, and that is a personal choice. Same with chronic/poor overeating and such.

Healthy living is a choice we all make each day. A personal one. I don't think anyone can force someone to take that on. That being said, the pics on packs in Canada at least make people think a bit, regardless of who laughs at them, or becomes hardened over time to the same...

Old 12-06-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh I just need to take people to work with me. I see these train wrecks every day. I watched a Grandmother of a friend die from lung cancer and my own Grandmother die from emphysema as a youngster. They both told me never to smoke and I didn't. I'm incredibly grateful to both of them for passing on that pearl of wisdom. You can't tell bone headed teenagers and show them pictures. They think it won't happen to them. It's unfortunate but there will always be smokers.
No one ever thinks something bad will happen to them, per what they should know better. Of course, we all think we will be the one exception..

To never get hurt in love, never grow old or get ill, never pay for poor living, you name it.

Not sure what you would call that, or even if there is a name in sociology for the same..

Old 12-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
America's problem isn't smoking it's obesity, and "fat-shaming" is a no-no so I don't know if scare tactics about being fat will fly in the US.
I think posting pics of "large" people on bags of chips, soda, fast food containers, et.al., would obviously be un PC, and would never fly, but a good idea nonetheless...

Perhaps a simple disclaimer would suffice, like the following"..

"This food is known to cause diabetes over time, and has 5X the recommended allowance of ______.
It is recommended you consume this in moderation and sparingly."

-USDA

Old 12-06-2014, 12:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
My Grand Aunt quit smoking because she hated Clinton and didn't want to give him any money through cigarette taxes.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
How much is a packet now? A packet of cigarettes in Aus, is about $20.

Yeah, Australia has had those images for years. Advertising has been banned for years, and now, cigarettes are not displayed in a store. They are behind cabinets, behind the cashier.
About $10. Some brands cost more, and some less.
Ours are also in cabinets, hidden out of sight.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Ok that tongue scared the **** out of me. I don't even smoke. Ewwwwwwwwwwww.
Agreed..the tongue was nasty..

Reminded me of those awful pics in College Bio 101...Guess it brought the point home, which was obviously its' intent..

In the USA, we have commercials of people singing with voiceboxes, as their larynx was removed from throat cancer...for the holidays, they have commercials of groups of voicebox people singing Christmas Carols in shopping malls....the creeped out look of the people in the malls is priceless.....

This commercial hits the heart as well. I like these just from the personal human interest aspect. Hugely affecting........look how beautiful she was as a young woman, and then later(still pretty enough, but with a voicebox).......People appear in these commercials to stop young people from doing the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zWB4dLYChM

Yul Brenner did the same many years ago, in I believe the 80's, making the meme "Don't Smoke" active and viral long before the internet..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjunlWUJJI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events