Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:28 PM

91 posts, read 103,813 times

Advertisements

I realize that they were debating doing this in the USA, but I did not realize that Canada has already started putting scare pictures on Cigs, per Cancer AND other maladies, all from smoking....

I have no idea if this has cut down on cig purchases in Canada, but I would imagine it would work here in the USA......Imagine taking a long drag and concentrating on looking at these pics at the same time...

Good for Canada, per these public service pics......

The body is essentially a delicate reed....amazing the abuse we voluntarily submit it to, from over/bad eating, stress, lack of sleep, drugs, you name it....

I quit smoking many years ago, but these pics make me want to respect my body more....so sad how we destroy ourselves knowingly....like suicide on the installment plan...

My God......

Are these shocking enough? Not enough?......How do you think this would play in the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 05:08 PM

5,793 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Anything to help people stop this ridiculous habit.

Another poster board can be to simply bold print the price per pack X 1.5 pack a day X 356 and place an equal sign and a picture of a dying lung cancer victim on the other side of the equal sign.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo3210 View Post
I realize that they were debating doing this in the USA, but I did not realize that Canada has already started putting scare pictures on Cigs, per Cancer AND other maladies, all from smoking....

I have no idea if this has cut down on cig purchases in Canada, but I would imagine it would work here in the USA......Imagine taking a long drag and concentrating on looking at these pics at the same time...

Good for Canada, per these public service pics......

The body is essentially a delicate reed....amazing the abuse we voluntarily submit it to, from over/bad eating, stress, lack of sleep, drugs, you name it....

I quit smoking many years ago, but these pics make me want to respect my body more....so sad how we destroy ourselves knowingly....like suicide on the installment plan...

My God......

Are these shocking enough? Not enough?......How do you think this would play in the USA?
We started doing that in Canada years and years ago. The packs were very popular and were being used like trading cards....
"I have two emphezemas. I'll trade you for a tracheotomy. Got any cancers or erectile dysfunctions?"

The only thing that actually discouraged smoking was the increase in sin taxes.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
We started doing that in Canada years and years ago. The packs were very popular and were being used like trading cards....
"I have two emphezemas. I'll trade you for a tracheotomy. Got any cancers or erectile dysfunctions?"

The only thing that actually discouraged smoking was the increase in sin taxes.
How much is a packet now? A packet of cigarettes in Aus, is about $20.

Yeah, Australia has had those images for years. Advertising has been banned for years, and now, cigarettes are not displayed in a store. They are behind cabinets, behind the cashier.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:06 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Seeing a display of cigarette-damaged internal organs and body parts at George Washington U's medical school over the course of months is what helped me to quit back in the 1980s. Haven't wanted a cigarette since.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Whatever works. Smoking anything for a long time is likely to kill you. If you want the nicotine stimulant try the sticky patches.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:27 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
I would call it education more than scaring. People should have this information.

Good for Canada.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo3210 View Post
............My God......

Well, did it work for Larry Flynt?

That would be an interesting study for sure.

"Did the graphic anti smoking ads that were conducted in Hustler decrease the smoking population in general? in those who bought Hustler?".

Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 AM

282 posts, read 962,882 times
These pictures are the reason people smoke ridiculous amounts and die. The message is clear: "I'm Leroy and I cant speak and breathe through a hole because THATS HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO QUIT SMOKING". When a smoker sees that picture, it is logical they will be less likely to quit, simply because quitting smoking is so easy (speaking from experience here), that there is no reason someone would let it hurt them so much, unless they've been brainwashed into thinking how difficult it is to quit. Of course, if we let the truth out and let the public know how easy it is to quit smoking, everyone might just start smoking, and then nobody might quit since it would be so socially acceptable. Point is simple, most people who dont smoke do it because they've been brainwashed, and most people who cant quit smoking do it because theyve also been brainwashed. There are some people who can think for themselves (and dont smoke because of it), I'd say about 1% of total population....

Old 12-06-2014, 11:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Oh I just need to take people to work with me. I see these train wrecks every day. I watched a Grandmother of a friend die from lung cancer and my own Grandmother die from emphysema as a youngster. They both told me never to smoke and I didn't. I'm incredibly grateful to both of them for passing on that pearl of wisdom. You can't tell bone headed teenagers and show them pictures. They think it won't happen to them. It's unfortunate but there will always be smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events