Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:06 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,748,263 times

Advertisements

4th graders allegedly plot teacher's death

Quote:

ELBA, N.Y. -- Concerned parents and a school board member foiled a group of
school children's plan to kill their fourth grade teacher.

The alleged incident happened back in December just before winter break, and
according to the police report, three students were involved.

Their plan was to expose a teacher to anti-bacterial products because she is
highly allergic to them.

A board member contacted police after she heard of the plan from other
parents and her son.

The report, provided by the Genesee County Sheriff's Department, said, "the
suspects made comments to other students that they were going to kill [the
teacher] by putting antibacterial products around the classroom."

Youth officers interviewed the suspected students with their parents and
school officials present.

One student stated that her teacher "yells at us and that the class has
problems with her."

Another student seemed to indicate the plan to poison the teacher started
with yet another student.

We initially reached out to the district Tuesday by email before we got the
police report.

The superintendent responded and wrote, "The information described in your
email would, if it existed, be considered a student record that a school
district is prohibited from disclosing under FERPA (the Family Educational
Rights and Privacy Act)."

According to the incident report, the principal and school counselor told
police the students contradicted themselves because their stories were different
than what they said the day before meeting with the youth officers.

In the end, the school decided it would handle the case, so the Sheriff's
Department is no longer involved.

A motive isn't clear, however the Genesee County Sheriff's Department report
indicated alleged bullying in the classroom, and the officers were told that
particular class of fourth graders "had problems working together."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:29 PM

240 posts, read 252,496 times
This is a non-story blown out of proportion by the news media. The two girls did nothing to hurt their teacher. They giggled and whispered between themselves at the thoughts of poisoning a teacher they hated. Who among us never did something similar when we were young? It's typical adolescent at work. Someone overheard them and turned them in.

Don't even whisper to your friends today. You never know who might be listening. God, what a world we're living in.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:56 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
This is a non-story blown out of proportion by the news media. The two girls did nothing to hurt their teacher. They giggled and whispered between themselves at the thoughts of poisoning a teacher they hated. Who among us never did something similar when we were young? It's typical adolescent at work. Someone overheard them and turned them in.

Don't even whisper to your friends today. You never know who might be listening. God, what a world we're living in.
I never did.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:

Haben sie ihre papiere bitte

Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM

530 posts, read 667,455 times
I never did anything of the sort either. These students should be immediately removed from a normal classroom setting and sent for intensive psychiatric care. I am sure that nothing will happen like that at all. We are sinking as a society in wimpdom.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:

Haben sie ihre papiere bitte
But I never thought of killing my teachers. Or joked about it.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:40 PM

240 posts, read 252,496 times
Are you people crazy? The girls didn't DO anything. No crime was committed. Somebody overheard them joking to each other privately, or so the girls thought. Good God! Do you really want to create a society where we are punished for our thoughts and private conversations that other people snoop into?

It doesn't matter whether you're so perfect that you never giggled and fantasized about a teacher you couldn't stand. No crime was committed. You can't punish people for their thoughts.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:39 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
They made terroristic threats. Lock em up. With more technology and more diligence, we will someday rid the world of even the appearance of ill intent.

"It's almost absurd to think that at some point in the future, thought crimes WON'T be prosecuted by some sort of law enforcement agency."

Old 01-08-2015, 08:13 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I never did.
Me, neither.

Quote:
Are you people crazy? The girls didn't DO anything. No crime was committed. Somebody overheard them joking to each other privately, or so the girls thought. Good God! Do you really want to create a society where we are punished for our thoughts and private conversations that other people snoop into?

It doesn't matter whether you're so perfect that you never giggled and fantasized about a teacher you couldn't stand. No crime was committed. You can't punish people for their thoughts.
I did not see anything about "giggling and whispering" in the link in the OP. Do you have another source?

Do you think children that age are not capable of following through with such an action?

I assure you that schools take threats seriously, no matter the age of the child making the threat.

Third-Graders Charged in Plot to Kill Teacher

Fifth Graders Suspended for Putting Rat Poison in Teacher’s Coffee - ABC News

Kid a bit older:

Visine in coffee sickens teacher; student may be charged | Reuters

NEA - Assessing the Threat

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-08-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 08:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I never did.
When I was in 6th or 7th grade me & my classmates made random asides about kidnapping our band director. It was after I read the book "Killing Mr Griffin" which was actually on our schools accelerated reader list. We were going to tie him up and blow c sharp in his ear until his eardrums burst.

Then we read Lord of the Flies and started talking about which of our classmates wouldn't make it on the island.

I don't know if that would have been considering "plotting". It's hard to say how far the kids went without hearing the actual conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events