Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:13 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They say they are going after the organizers and they should.

They owe the merchants money for closing their stores and the missed business.

Charges Expected To Be Filed Against MOA Protest Organizers « CBS Minnesota
That was on WCCO radio this morning, Rakin.
They were interviewing Betsy Johnson.
She feels because of money loss to merchants and the cost of police there should be charges.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 01:49 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
......lol, are you talking about the Harvard Law protestors?

Seriously, the racist hate rhetoric needs to stop. They have every right to protest... it is a constitutional right whether you like it or not.

People aren't protesting for two isolated incidents. They are protesting the systematic execution of black men at the hands of law enforcement.

Maybe you should go to a university to learn why they encourage this.
Not on private property, it's not.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:59 PM

100 posts, read 119,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've had it up to here with all this BS going on...........protest this, protest that, I've had it. Time for these malcontents to do POSITIVE things if they want to elevate their status in the eyes of others. All they are doing is damaging what credibility they did have before all this stupid stuff started happening. Do they really think these protests are doing any good ????????

Get jobs, raise your children in two Parent homes, teach them respect (and have respect for others yourself) and show us that you are attempting to fit into American society in the right ways, and then we will start respecting you.

What a disgusting bunch of losers !

Don
Hi Don,

I'm an African American female with a college degree. Single no children Employed full time. I have two parents who have been married years prior to me being born. My father has 3 degrees and my mother has 1. I attended private school from Pre-K- High School and attended a private University. I have a Passport with a collection of stamps from around the world. I also can fluently speak two languages. My French and Latin are below par so I wont count those).
I stole a lip gloss when I was in Middle School. Did I deserve to die? No Was it wrong, yes. Did my parents fail at raising me for that mistake that I made?
Have I been pulled over because I had a nice car in a nice neighborhood yes.
I protest for those who have no voice. I protest to stand for whats right. Until things change in this country we will continue.
Don't assume that people who feel passionately about a cause are stupid, or poor. The days of protesting in the park are OVER. We want to be heard and we will be heard.
Nobody told the stores to close down that was a decision the stores managers made ahead of time. There were stores that kept their gates open and allowed their employees to join if they wanted too.
You seem pretty set in your ways and that's just sad..

Old 12-23-2014, 02:08 PM

100 posts, read 119,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That was on WCCO radio this morning, Rakin.
They were interviewing Betsy Johnson.
She feels because of money loss to merchants and the cost of police there should be charges.
I agree.
Betsey Johnson Mall of America - CLOSED - Bloomington, MN | Yelp

Old 12-23-2014, 02:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
not surprising that the octogenarians at The Good Neighbor are a bit behind on the times

Old 12-23-2014, 02:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgreenel View Post
Hi Don,

I'm an African American female with a college degree. Single no children Employed full time. I have two parents who have been married years prior to me being born. My father has 3 degrees and my mother has 1. I attended private school from Pre-K- High School and attended a private University. I have a Passport with a collection of stamps from around the world. I also can fluently speak two languages. My French and Latin are below par so I wont count those).
I stole a lip gloss when I was in Middle School. Did I deserve to die? No Was it wrong, yes. Did my parents fail at raising me for that mistake that I made?
I protest for those who have no voice. I protest to stand for whats right. Until things change in this country we will continue.
Don't assume that people who feel passionately about a cause are stupid, or poor. The days of protesting in the park are OVER. We want to be heard and we will be heard.
Nobody told the stores to close down that was a decision the stores managers made ahead of time. There were stores that kept their gates open and allowed their employees to join if they wanted too.
good for you Kgreenel, most of us get a bit uncomfotable once protests start moving beyond the conditions of puppy mills and our favorite TV show getting cancelled

Old 12-23-2014, 03:00 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
good for you Kgreenel, most of us get a bit uncomfotable once protests start moving beyond the conditions of puppy mills and our favorite TV show getting cancelled
Hopefully she will pick her battles wisely which so far has been a major problem with many of the protests.

Many of the problems have been created by the criminal actions of others.
People have trouble blaming the cops when the so called victims bring on their own problems.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:00 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I watched a lot of the protest on local news feed yesterday. It seems to be that everyone, police and protesters, did a good job. Part of the reason for that was because there was good communication among all parties.

There are two things which disturb me about the protest. The first was the illegality of the act. I believe that in the United States your rights end whenever they infringe upon my rights. And the protestors were deliberately infringing on the property owners' rights.

The second sad and frightening thing that disturbed me was that when the protesters were asked to leave they began to chant, "What do we want? Cops. How do we want them? Dead. I don't know in what rational person's mind a homicidal mass threat and advocacy of murder of all police will promote a peaceful resolution or any good will for the cause. Those aren't the words of thinking, caring people. Those are crazy mob rule words and that kind of madness is what leads to the dog and fire hose "solution."

Particularly chilling to me was that while they were chanting this crude and ugly wish it was during the time that the two police officers in New York were shot. If both sides don't make an effort to see each other as fellow human beings with family this isn't going to happen.

Both sides of the issue need to take responsibility for not escalating these potentially dangerous situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Which of the bolded parts is true? And is there a link that confirms the second one?
Sorry I didn't notice your questions sooner. From my perspective both parts were true. The protesters were, from what I saw, orderly and the police used appropriate behavior in removing them.

The second part of your question will be difficult to prove. First let me say that I see that I misquoted the crowd. What they chanted was, "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want them? Now." This went on for several minutes and that's when I stopped watching.

I watched several hours of this on a live feed. I looked for evidence on YouTube and other sites and see all evidence has been removed. They even mention a chant I don't recall hearing at all. All I found was an article about Charley Rangel on CNN denying that anyone had ever done this.

So I guess everyone is backpedaling like crazy. Lawsuit time now.

PS. I was listening to Sue Jeffers on Twin Talk Radio at the time and she also commented on it so if you want to listen to the podcasts at 3:00 and 4:00 you can hear it there:

http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/on...-jeffers-23232

Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgreenel View Post
Hi Don,

And you seem set in yours. And young.

And that's much sadder.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:01 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
at Krgreenel

Your protesting at the MOA on private property which is illegal. If you are going to speak for those who don't have a voice you'd be better off doing it legally.

I have a few questions for you:
*What about the the people(shoppers, clerks, etc) that were there during this protest and were frightened, stressed not knowing when and if it could turn violent? Moms with their youngins.
* What about the Police Officers that were called in from other cities, leaving their cities short on Police Officers?
* What about the 2 plus hours shoppers were locked in the mall and could not leave, their time is valuable
*what about how people were invited to protest illegally via Facebook?
* what about the stores loosing business during by his illegal protest?
*What about the huge cost of this protest? My and others tax dollars will pay for this.

Those are just a few points and questions.

If you are passionate about a cause, please do so responsibly!

The hyprocacy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events