Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:56 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If, instead of resisting arrest, he turned and ran away(pretty much the same thing) and had a heart attack and died, would you still blame the cops?
Good question, as I did not even think of that since he was so obese.

Another question would be if they would have thought he was faking when he said he couldn't breathe after trying to flee on foot?

In my view the LEO's/medics were at least negligent in not rendering aid to him after he was in custody. I hope something is looked into and done about that. There is no valid excuse for not helping him, especially by the medics who are paid to give aid to people in medical distress.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,019 times
The second area of discussion is in policing strategies. While there is merit in the "Broken Windows" strategy. Those of us who knew NYC in the 80s can appreciate this, when open drug dealing of crack, and heroin and coke went on in FULL daylight. Is selling loose cigarettes really an offense which merits an arrest? Or are there other ways to deal with this?

THANK YOU!!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
True, but that amount of force over selling loosies is ridiculous. No one should die over such small time issues.
That amount of force wasn't applied because he was selling loosies, it was applied because he was resisting arrest. It didn't matter if he was selling cigarettes or crack, the cops were tasked with taking him into custody, and he was anything but compliant.
I do think, however, that the LEO should have faced some consequences for using a previously banned choke hold on the suspect. What good is banning it's use if there are no repercussions for using it? I did not agree with the outcome of this case at all.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Good question, as I did not even think of that since he was so obese.

Another question would be if they would have thought he was faking when he said he couldn't breathe after trying to flee on foot?

In my view the LEO's/medics were at least negligent in not rendering aid to him after he was in custody. I hope something is looked into and done about that. There is no valid excuse for not helping him, especially by the medics who are paid to give aid to people in medical distress.

`
I agree, and the black female sargent in charge of the detail there to arrest him should be held accountable. Then they can start protesting all over again, while taking the side of the police?

Old 12-22-2014, 12:29 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
The second area of discussion is in policing strategies. While there is merit in the "Broken Windows" strategy. Those of us who knew NYC in the 80s can appreciate this, when open drug dealing of crack, and heroin and coke went on in FULL daylight. Is selling loose cigarettes really an offense which merits an arrest? Or are there other ways to deal with this?

THANK YOU!!!!

Like what exactly?

What people fail to realize is that first of all, he was on probation. Secondly, it was the business owners trying to make an honest living that called the cops in the first place.

Who do you think is buying those single cigarettes? It's people who can't afford to buy their own cigarettes legally. That means those business owners would have had teen thugs, drunks and other undesirables hanging out in front of their businesses.

Do you think that's going to make honest hardworking citizens want to shop in that store? With over 30 arrests under Garners belt for more than selling loosies, you'd think maybe he would have gotten the hint that he shouldnt' do that anymore? There was no other option other than to arrest him.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:38 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post

THANK YOU!!!!
That's kind of what the broken window strategy is. If hard criminals see some lowlife career criminal on the street breaking laws, that's a signal to them that that street has been depoliced and to move in. So in other words, the answer is yes.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
From a different angle, NY's cigarette taxes are so high, it almost forces smokers to buy loosies (I never heard the term before this forum). They can't afford a pack, which is close to $10. It is inevitable that someone will come forward to satisfy this market.

Why are cigarette taxes so high? The state needs money to satisfy the voracious appetite of the spending constituencies: mostly teacher unions, but other public employee unions as well and other spending advocates such as trial lawyers, and medicaid fraud practitioners. Their demands are endless, despite NY leading the US in almost every measure of public spending. High cigarette taxes are one of the ways NY leeches a little more money from its subjects.

NY was a winner in the tobacco settlements of 10 - 15 years ago. It got billions of dollars, to be paid out over a period of 20 years of so to fund cancer care for smokers and anti-smoking campaigns. It promptly securitized the revenue stream (so Goldman Sachs made money, too), selling ownership of it in return for an upfront payment.

Which it immediately spent on the interests above.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:11 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
From a different angle, NY's cigarette taxes are so high, it almost forces smokers to buy loosies (I never heard the term before this forum). They can't afford a pack, which is close to $10. It is inevitable that someone will come forward to satisfy this market
It doesnt matter, it's still illegal. It doesnt matter how something might not make sense to you, if it's illegal, you shouldnt be doing it and if you do, expect to get arrested. What is so difficult about this? quitting smoking might be an optoin.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Personally I don't care because I have nothing in common with the thugs or their supporters; plain and simple.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Right now I am watching police stand at the memorial where the police were killed.

Protestors are yelling the same chants at them.....including wanting "dead cops".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events