Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

I need to read the law before I can jump to conclusions about what it actually says and means. If I've learned anything, it's not to take the media, and ESPECIALLY social media of any kind, as a trustworthy interpreter of the law!

Any more than I take people who love to stereotype (be it Texas or blacks or women or liberals or conservatives or what have you) seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
My problem is what happens if/when a student gets a hold of the gun or if Joking Johnny gets on the teacher's last nerve and he/she decided to put a bullet in Joking Johnny's head.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Joking Johnny should have been removed from the classroom long before that happens. Failure to do so is completer irresponsibility on the part of the teacher and the school administration no matter who Jonny's parents are.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Joking Johnny should have been removed from the classroom long before that happens. Failure to do so is completer irresponsibility on the part of the teacher and the school administration no matter who Jonny's parents are.
Yeah, but lots of teachers have classroom management issues and can't manage their classrooms. Many tend to put up with each Johnny's bullish*t. And when students like myself make a fuss (conversation with the teacher or anonymous note), we're told by the teacher that "it's not your fault that you're so mature" or "boys will be boys".

Oh, yeah, and administration doesn't expel kids like they used to. It's just suspension after suspension.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Ah yes, Raw Story, a stellar example of unbiased reporting. Not.
Clickbaiting. Inflammatory, erroneous headlines designed to get more hits.

Looks like some more of Mr One Percenter Mayor Bloomberg's work.
He's dedicating tens of millions to disseminate lies about guns.

Funny how people are so willing to give up the right to protect themselves and at the same time are dissing the cops they believe will be there to save them.

All the while Mr. Bloomberg has upwards of 35 armed guards around him protecting his property and his life. But since you and I don't have that kind of money, we're supposed to give up protecting our lives, our kids lives, our schoolkids, and then diss the cops who people pretend will be there the second we need them.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM

240 posts, read 252,393 times
I think many of you are missing the point.

If the students know they'll be shot on sight by a teacher for destroying school property, they won't destroy school property. Problem solved! In fact, maybe the punks will start treating their school, teachers and other students with a bit more respect.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:44 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Enacting a law that releases a teacher for shooting and killing a student to protect "school property" is as inane a law to be debated much less passed as I have ever read. But, you know, Texas conservatives are pro-life except in myriad cases where gun rights trumps human life and apparently under this proposed legislation, your life is apparently worth no more than some high school gym equipment.
It won't take long before some innocent student is gun down by a trigger happy teacher. Then all the excuses will happen. As for right to life, those conservatives just like adding more babies while cutting among other things, WIC and Head Start. You know, more bodies to fill up the for profit prisons and to cherish FOX NEWS.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
It won't take long before some innocent student is gun down by a trigger happy teacher. Then all the excuses will happen. As for right to life, those conservatives just like adding more babies while cutting among other things, WIC and Head Start. You know, more bodies to fill up the for profit prisons and to cherish FOX NEWS.
Oh Please. The one thing I know is this, I'm far more polite and conscientious when I'm carrying. You don't pull it unless you are threatened, and an "innocent" student isn't threatening - right? Of course, the teacher who was raped and murdered by her student might tell you, if she could, that all those students aren't "innocent." This ain't mayberry, even if your sheltered life is.

Teachers who carry now are well trained. You'd be surprised at the amount of care and training that goes into carrying a weapon of any kind. You can't have it both ways - you scream and cry about sandyhook, and then you want to leave everyone helpless. Which is it? The statement "when seconds count, cops are minutes away" is a true one. Beyond all that, it is NOT a cops job to protect you. It's a cops job to "protect the public." ie - Not "individuals." Their job is to show up after an event happens, gather data, supervise the collection of evidence, and work with the EMT's and the coroner to take care of the bodies.

Shane Krauser, ASU Professor, "Making good people helpless does not make bad people harmless."

As for the rest of your sarcastic post, it's clear you don't know many conservatives.
Your statement contains so many errors that it's hard to know where to start, let alone whether or not it's worth it. Confirmation bias is a dangerous thing. Glad to see that you are soloforlife - but it also explains why you don't understand the need to protect another person's life.

Again - the headline is BS, inflammatory, misleading and would get an F in a Journalism class.
It wouldn't be much different than having a headline:
"Liberals have killed 50 million babies since Roe v Wade!" -stats

Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Sounds to me like a moot point. Don't do anything wrong and nothing will happen. It's a pretty simple to follow rules and obey the law.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Protecting students and teachers from a "Sandy Hook" crazy is laudable. Protecting property, except for life threatening arson, is absurd. We do not shoot people for breaking up some furniture.
But if we did there would be less broken furniture. And dang little body slamming of teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events