Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:37 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times

Advertisements

Call the ASPCA. A dog that barks all day long is not normal behavior. It means he's stressed and/or severely neglected either by being ignored or cooped up most of the time in a cage or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,314 times
How about this wild idea - don't keep a dog outside 24/7? Dogs are domestic creatures and are pack animals. Loneliness is frightening and miserable to a dog.

Call your humane, no kill shelter. The poor animal is being neglected. Someone can remove he dog.

The person who recommended poisoning some hamburger is frightening.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
How about this wild idea - don't keep a dog outside 24/7? Dogs are domestic creatures and are pack animals. Loneliness is frightening and miserable to a dog.

Call your humane, no kill shelter. The poor animal is being neglected. Someone can remove he dog.

The person who recommended poisoning some hamburger is frightening.
Everyone has revenge fantasies and it's only frightening if acted upon. Removing the animal seems like a good idea in theory but probably isn't possible IRL. You can't just yell "neglect" and have someone's dog removed. That only works on children.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:38 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
I have no pity for this lady, she should have found a way to control her dog's barking.
Yeah, like putting it in the house.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody wants the drama of fighting with neighbors but we are increasingly living on top of each other with less personal space than normal folks need, and adding lot's of noises and sounds and animals that those around us don't appreciate. Fights are going to keep happening because it's not possible for everyone to up and move to the country.

The bottom line is that there are people who have no manners and don't think about others, they are straight up ignorant and rude. Kicking them out of the heard seems like the best solution and maybe, just maybe, they will learn how to live with others.
Sadly, some actually do. I recently saw videos of a case of neighbor bullying and harassing a neighbors child who eventually dies of the incurable disease she had been born with. The neighbor used the disease and her impending death as part of her public taunts of the child which even included some sick artwork in FB posts.

There are a lot of 'sick puppies' out there.

I agree with the closeness being an issue. I adopted a hound from a local Rescue operation. Sometimes she barks for no reason at all. Like out of sheer unadulterated happiness alone, she will randomly hop around and bark for a bit. She will also growl rather loudly while playing with something. There are at least 9 families wall-to-wall around us and none have complained. I still worry about it though, and try to calm her down when she gets going too long.

We dont complain about them either. We dont complain about their kids being noisy, how loud their music is, or the loudness of any family arguements or parties. We accept these things as a part of life.

Dogs are allowed to bark during normal waking hours - even if it seems non-stop. Just like loud traffic and construction noise is allowed during normal waking hours, which too can seem non-stop for many hours. If someone works nights and sleeps during the day, protecting their own sleep is for them to work out. You have to adjust your entire life to the inconvenience of working nights, and protecting the hours you need to sleep is just one more adjustment.

Unless she was never really served a summons (or possibly was worried about any existing warrants for herself, or maybe was admitted to a hospital, or a close relative suddenly died), I have no idea why she would skip court - for any reason.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Sadly, some actually do. I recently saw videos of a case of neighbor bullying and harassing a neighbors child who eventually dies of the incurable disease she had been born with. The neighbor used the disease and her impending death as part of her public taunts of the child which even included some sick artwork in FB posts.

There are a lot of 'sick puppies' out there.

I agree with the closeness being an issue. I adopted a hound from a local Rescue operation. Sometimes she barks for no reason at all. Like out of sheer unadulterated happiness alone, she will randomly hop around and bark for a bit. She will also growl rather loudly while playing with something. There are at least 9 families wall-to-wall around us and none have complained. I still worry about it though, and try to calm her down when she gets going too long.

We dont complain about them either. We dont complain about their kids being noisy, how loud their music is, or the loudness of any family arguements or parties. We accept these things as a part of life.

Dogs are allowed to bark during normal waking hours - even if it seems non-stop. Just like loud traffic and construction noise is allowed during normal waking hours, which too can seem non-stop for many hours. If someone works nights and sleeps during the day, protecting their own sleep is for them to work out. You have to adjust your entire life to the inconvenience of working nights, and protecting the hours you need to sleep is just one more adjustment.

Unless she was never really served a summons (or possibly was worried about any existing warrants for herself, or maybe was admitted to a hospital, or a close relative suddenly died), I have no idea why she would skip court - for any reason.
Dog Barking Laws - Stop The Barking .com

Stop that barking! lol

Dogs must (or the owners at least) obey local ordinances. Many states have dog barking laws even during the day. It is not the same as traffic noise in this case. If you move to an area with high traffic noise then you've already accepted that you will be hearing those noises (which in my opinion isn't even 5% as bad as dogs barking).

Chronic dog barking however is not something that anyone should HAVE to deal with. Many states will issue fines if they receive too many complaints about your dog and will then take you to court if you don't pay them.

So shutup those yappers or find yourself with citations

Old 02-15-2015, 10:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Ya your right, allowing the dog to be chained up, cold, lonely, and miserable for it's entire life is much better.
You have shown me the error of my ways.

Jesus with friends like you I would be better off with my worst enemy's
even animals in the wild would not let other animals suffer the way some of you would.

bill
So you would go and kill the new dog too, is that what you are saying? And then all the dogs they got after that because "you wouldn't want to see all these poor creatures suffer."

Sheesh. What are you anyway?

Old 02-15-2015, 03:19 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
You're disgusting. Poisoning is a cruel death for an innocent animal.
no kidding. If he poisoned MY dog I'd burn his bloody house down.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:23 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
What this says to me, as a person who has dealt with noisy yapping dogs myself--how people really don't take these complaints seriously. They either (a) just don't believe that incessant barking could be that distressing or (b) they just flat-out don't care.

That, to me, is why this woman ignored the court proceedings--she truly didn't believe that a dog barking could be that serious of a matter. I bet she knows now.

Then again, I bet she doesn't. This is the other thing--we talk all the time about particular parents and their "snowflakes," how such parents stick up for their child's bratty behavior vs actually doing something about it, and being so defiant and indignant when you ask them to control their behavior. Well I've noticed many dogs owners are doing this, especially owners of smaller dogs. They don't train or, dare I say it, discipline their dogs. I once had an "ankle biter" that kept tearing at my pants when I said "no," they didn't stop, well I nothing less than planted my foot up his hind-end. Guess what--he never bit my pants leg again, and anything he did that I said "no" to, he now--imagine that--stopped, he actually OBEYED. Even so, he'd still come up to me and I'd pet him and he'd be tickled happy. I wasn't afraid to discipline.

When someone refuses to do such because they think it's "abuse" (please), or doesn't even have them trained by a dog trainer, they're simply letting their little dog rule the roost, and it's just nuts. It's a common thing, and it's fueled by something else that's wrong--people thinking their dogs are children. That is nothing less than sick and perverted to say such a thing. People say "well my dog is noisy, what about your kid?" How DARE you. A child is MUCH more important than some dang-blanged dog--or cat, or ferret etc, ANY pet. A child playing outside making a bit of noise--that's par for the course. A child has WAY more rights to play outside than a dog does, because they're a human being. You don't DARE put a dog on the level of a human being in importance. In fact, if a PARENT were to say such a thing (and they do sometimes), I think they deserve to have their children removed and adopted out to someone else just for SAYING such a thing.

It's a very common thing--such dog owners don't believe frequent barking is that bad, and/or they don't care, and they think their dog is practically one of their children. On top of that, even the law fails to give respect to how distressing dog barking is, and they do nothing. It all leads to these ridiculous situations, and I am delighted such a person has been owned.
What people consider as more " important" is THEIR business.
If the issue is noise than it matters not whether that noise comes from dog or screeching brat, it still needs to be silenced.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
no kidding. If he poisoned MY dog I'd burn his bloody house down.
The questions is, why is someone speaking of doing that to your dog? If they're speaking of that out of pure sadistic evil in their heart, then your outrage is merited. HOWEVER, if it's a case of that your dog barks and barks and barks and you do nothing about it even after being informed that it's irritating, then your responsibility is to stop the barking--and yes, it can be stopped--and not expect this person to tolerate a lot of yapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
What people consider as more " important" is THEIR business.
If the issue is noise than it matters not whether that noise comes from dog or screeching brat, it still needs to be silenced.
The difference is that children are more important than dogs, and it's a different matter to tell a child they have to be quiet all the time and never be able to play and "be kids" vs expecting a dog to be calm. A key problem, to me, is this humanization and attaching of human being level importance to dogs which they don't deserve. I would have no problem, if I were a landlord or such, telling someone that if their dog is noisy and they seriously can't control it, then they can just get another dog altogether. When people throw a fit and act as if that's an awful thing to suggest no different than if you were to tell a parent to just get another child, that's silly. You don't DARE put a dog on the same level as a human being in importance.

Now, in extreme cases, I think some parents may need to be told that their child is too noisy--and no, being "autistic" and "special needs" isn't going to change my mind on that. I was once at a support group of people with autistic children and they would speak of how, when someone told them their child needed to calm down somewhere like a store, which is a totally reasonable expectation, that people would suddenly change their tone of voice when the parent told them their child was autistic. I wouldn't have, I'd been like "yeah, so what?" In a public place, a disruption is a disruption, and "special needs" does not mean "special treatment." Moreover, I have heard other parents with autistic children speak of how they won't tolerate their autistic child making a scene in a store and how they are in factg able to suppress it, and to me they are right. I was ashamed of these parents in that, in telling these stories, they seemed happy to the point of arrogance and of getting special treatment etc in these situations, and I think that's disgusting.

The thing is, though, unless it's EXTREME, a child shouldn't have to be "shushed" or whatever AT HOME when they're, say, playing outside or the like. To me that's "ambient" or "incidental" noise, as long as it isn't really extreme. On the other hand, a dog is, well, just a dog. Its needs matter almost nothing compared to the needs of a child. The owners can take them to a dog park or the like, but I have no interest in hearing a lot of constant yapping and having someone dare to think it's the same thing as a child playing. No, no, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events