Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Bark collars are pretty inexpensive. They deliver a shock when the dog barks, so the dog develops an aversion response to barking.

The concept is simular to an invisible fence and electronic collar set up, but the collar is tied to sound (barking) not a wire location under ground.

Some dog owners would rather put the bark collar on the person complaining instead of on their dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Endless barking, walking without a leash, frequent "escapes" from the yard, not cleaning-up after them.... These dog owners are selfish a-holes that ruin things for everyone else.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They work. It works by sensing vibration from the dogs throat, starts out very mild, and if the dog continues barking it gets stronger.

Yes, bark collars are a great idea. Problem is, some dog owners don't really care how much barking their precious dog does.

People and their dogs sometimes mystify me.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Reading these posts about this make me realize how messed up most people are. Most of these posters are happy this woman is losing her house over such a minor annoyance. This is one of the biggest injustices Ive seen in a while, the lawyer and complaintant in this suit are both thieves, and the law in that state is an accomplice to the theft. There is no way to twist this into being right or ok. I even get why she thought it was a joke, 500k over a barking dog?? It sounds like a joke. Our society is doomed.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto
Endless barking, walking without a leash, frequent "escapes" from the yard, not cleaning-up after them.... These dog owners are selfish a-holes that ruin things for everyone else.
They shouldnt have a dog!!!

They care one ioda about them!! (Or how much they might be a bother)

Old 02-14-2015, 02:17 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Reading these posts about this make me realize how messed up most people are. Most of these posters are happy this woman is losing her house over such a minor annoyance. This is one of the biggest injustices Ive seen in a while, the lawyer and complaintant in this suit are both thieves, and the law in that state is an accomplice to the theft. There is no way to twist this into being right or ok. I even get why she thought it was a joke, 500k over a barking dog?? It sounds like a joke. Our society is doomed.
Even if this is an injustice, and I don't think it is frankly, then it's a "make-up" of many other smaller and opposite injustices--people who've been able to get no relief from a neighbor with a yapping ankle biter.

The problem, and if you've read the responses you should know it, are dog owners who won't get off their hind-end and CONTROL their barking dog. An occasional bark here and there is one thing, but when it's a constant stream of "yap yap yap yap yap" every single time you dare to walk onto your own yard, that's wrong. It's HIGHLY stressful. It's WAY more than a "minor annoyance," WAY more.

The reason, to me, the lawsuit was ignored--it's because it was based on a dog and because of how dog owners are inclined to ignore ANY complaint about their dog. Like parents of a "snowflake" child, they just refuse to accept that their precious little ball of fur is capable of annoying and distressing behavior. Just like the parents of such "snowflake" children, they blame everybody else and don't correct the behavior, and categorize any would-be correction as "abuse."

Well I am telling you, we've had enough of it. We're starting to push back. Maybe these types of dog owners will wake up out of their coma and own up to their dog's habits as being the awful distressing noise that it is, and stop minimizing the problem and blaming other people. If it takes something like this to wake them up, then so be it.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:29 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Even if this is an injustice, and I don't think it is frankly, then it's a "make-up" of many other smaller and opposite injustices--people who've been able to get no relief from a neighbor with a yapping ankle biter.

The problem, and if you've read the responses you should know it, are dog owners who won't get off their hind-end and CONTROL their barking dog. An occasional bark here and there is one thing, but when it's a constant stream of "yap yap yap yap yap" every single time you dare to walk onto your own yard, that's wrong. It's HIGHLY stressful. It's WAY more than a "minor annoyance," WAY more.

The reason, to me, the lawsuit was ignored--it's because it was based on a dog and because of how dog owners are inclined to ignore ANY complaint about their dog. Like parents of a "snowflake" child, they just refuse to accept that their precious little ball of fur is capable of annoying and distressing behavior. Just like the parents of such "snowflake" children, they blame everybody else and don't correct the behavior, and categorize any would-be correction as "abuse."

Well I am telling you, we've had enough of it. We're starting to push back. Maybe these types of dog owners will wake up out of their coma and own up to their dog's habits as being the awful distressing noise that it is, and stop minimizing the problem and blaming other people. If it takes something like this to wake them up, then so be it.

Fighting with neighbors takes to much energy and time. Its going to take more than a barking dog to get me that riled up. Thing is once conflicts get started they have a life of their own and get out of control quickly. Its just not worth it to me to go there.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't feel sorry for that woman one bit. I have this problem w/my landlord. I live in a cottage behind his house. He's got one of those scottish terriers. I hate that thing. It wakes me up every weekend barking. It's woken me up when I'm napping from barking. It's woken me up in the middle of the night when I have to work the next morning from barking. I have mentioned this to my landlord. He says there's nothing he can do because he can't train his dog since it's old. I hope that dog dies soon & believe me, it is very unlike me to think that about any animal. But I truly hate that dog. I can hear that dog bark when it's inside his house & I'm inside my house. I can't get away from it. That dog is the neighborhood menace. Anyway, that's my rant.
I feel your pain with the Scotties. When I was a young child, My mom bred Scotties. I hated those dogs. They were loud, irritating, and not even cute to me, and I couldn't understand why she loved them so much. Different breeds tend to bark more than others, terriers are barkers, but on the good side, they are alert watchdogs. When you multiply the alertness of one Scottie by five or ten, the noise can be cacophonous indeed. I have had the problem of living with dogs who bark excessively myself. I own Great Danes, and they are generally quiet dogs and only bark when there is a genuine issue. One of my requirements I had when choosing a breed was no excessive barking! I'm unusually sensitive to noise anyway.

As for other people's constantly barking dogs, I have had that problem, and have never found a real solution for it. The owners don't usually do anything about it, nor does Animal Control. The owners seem to be able to tune out the noise, like a mom does when their babies are screaming and they are simultaneously carrying on a conversation with other people Animal Control ignores it because they have bigger problems on their hands than loud dogs.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I know of a nuisance dog that was taken to a Vet to have his vocal cords clipped. No when the dog has the urge to bark he just croaks. The owner had no idea what had happened for over a month. When he found out what had happened he was ripped about it, but he never did find out who had done it.

Be creative when faced with a seemingly unsolvable problem.
I would be livid if someone kidnapped my dog and subjected it to surgery. Not only should the kidnapper be arrested if they ever find out who is responsivle, but the vet should never have performed that surgery.

Debarking, declawing, tail docking, ear cutting are all horrible examples of what people should never to do a defenseless animal.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:35 AM

48 posts, read 47,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
When you're supposed to show up to court, you show up to court.

This isn't an issue over losing a house for a barking dog, it's an issue with somebody thinking that they can ignore legal proceedings filed against them.
What kind of inane laws allow for a house to be put up for sale because of a missed court appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events