Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: o you feel like the weather conditions are more extreme compared to what you can remember ?
Yes, the winters and summers are getting more extream. 44 41.51%
No, we are seeing typical summers and winters. 55 51.89%
Other, (explain) 7 6.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

it gets cold now, it got cold in the past.

I saw my uncle getting involved in a climate change debate recently on facebook. he threw out that he worked at NASA 20+ years ago and he knows climate change is real. I wanted to ask him if they called it "climate change" back then or if they called it "global warming."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As a guy who has spent 22 of his 26 years in Virginia. The last couple of winters in Virginia have been much more extreme in terms of single digit temps than I've ever seen. It has been below 20 degrees more days this year than I ever remember. Snow is not rare here but the singe digit temps are something I'm seeing more frequently than prior years.
Wait until you have 20 more years of weather experience as an adult. Weather is just different when you're a kid as opposed to an adult. An adult will remember the effects of blizzards or floods or heat waves more than a kid will, even to the point of pinpointing the years of major weather events because they can gauge how old the kids were or what was happening in their lives at the time.

I'm not saying you're wrong about your observations, just that I was wrong about mine when I was your age and I think I realized why. It's because kids just don't experience weather in the same way as an adult would.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Wait until you have 20 more years of weather experience as an adult. Weather is just different when you're a kid as opposed to an adult. An adult will remember the effects of blizzards or floods or heat waves more than a kid will, even to the point of pinpointing the years of major weather events because they can gauge how old the kids were or what was happening in their lives at the time.

I'm not saying you're wrong about your observations, just that I was wrong about mine when I was your age and I think I realized why. It's because kids just don't experience weather in the same way as an adult would.
sometimes I will mention that i used to remember major storms when i was a kid where the thunder would come in tremendous bangs. my wife tells me that it was just my perspective as a kid.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:53 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
sometimes I will mention that i used to remember major storms when i was a kid where the thunder would come in tremendous bangs. my wife tells me that it was just my perspective as a kid.
It's so true. I came to that realization because of watching old weather clips of things I didn't remember, or things I remembered as being different than it actually was. My husband moved down to Houston from Pittsburgh in 1978, and he remembers the summer of 1980 as being horribly hot. I didn't even realize it at the time because it was just another hot summer to me. It stood out to him because he'd never experienced anything like it where he was from. Even if they got hot there, it would cool down at night. His cousins were talking about the summer they visited and marveling that the concrete was hot. I just thought concrete gets hot everywhere during the summer, but apparently not. Here you could literally cook an egg on the concrete in the middle of summer.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:03 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Does anybody else remember playing with the tar used to seal cracks in the roadways? I remember being very excited when I would find a bubble, which I would pop with a stick. I can't even imagine how hot it must have been to make that happen.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
NO, it's been hotter and colder at any given time. We went from Global Warming to Climate Change. I guess the colder temps don't add up to Global Warming so now they're calling it Climate Change. I love how they use word play to fit their agenda.
On Tuesday afternoon I was walking to a haircut appointment in Rye, New York. The outside temperature felt like round 10. It was probably 22 or so.

A woman standing in front of a restaurant said "hi" to me in a very friendly voice, so I thought she knew me. I said "you seem to know me, remind me of your name" or words to that effect. She said "I need to talk to you about climate change." I first said "are you kidding"? She said "it's really important." I said "you're not going to get a friendly audience from me since I won't be agreeing with you on that" and walked off to my haircut.

Maybe I should have engaged her and verbally cut her to her idiotic pieces. I didn't.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,455 times
Remember that "Global Warming" is a term applied to changing temperature on the entire EARTH, not just your local area. So while it may not seem that your area is warner, there is no denying that weather patterns have changed.

We Americans are all so egocentric.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:58 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK10 View Post
Remember that "Global Warming" is a term applied to changing temperature on the entire EARTH, not just your local area. So while it may not seem that your area is warner, there is no denying that weather patterns have changed.

We Americans are all so egocentric.
Weather patterns change all the time.

I am absolutely dogmatic about using conditions in long-time inhabited regions as a check on wild claims. Take the claims that the Arctic is the focus of warming. Does anyone really know what the conditions in Kugluktuk (formerly Coppermine), North West Territories, Canada was before the Industrial Revolution. Or Iqaluit (formerly Frobisher Bay), in the current province of Nunavut, formerly North West Territories, Canada? Ditto Barrow or Nome, Alaska, or the Arctic shores of Siberia?

Where we do have some records, such as Iceland and Greenland (early on inhabited by the Norse Vikings) we are now far cooler than in their heyday, even though there are reports of some glacier melt in Greenland.

My point is that outside cities such as London, New York City, Paris, Rome and other similar areas, we don't have good records. And climate in those cities are remarkably similar to that of historical experience. I will not simply take alarmists' word for it that there is warming.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:25 AM

163 posts, read 125,692 times
What's different is that cars never used to have the dark windows to shield from the sun. Probably because it wasn't as necessary as it is today.

Also sun blindness wasn't a known occurrence as it is now. You know, when the reflection from other cars blind you from the sun as well as being blinded from the sun itself.

Sometimes at night, it's not really that dark. That was never the case before, when you couldn't see in the dark outside.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:53 AM

163 posts, read 125,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I remember strong thunder like what you're describing. It just doesn't seem to happen as much, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events