Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Where in your studies did you learn about the rights of relationships as opposed to rights of the individual?
My right as an individual is being denied. The individual down the street can legally form a civil marriage with another individual that is female, but I am banned from doing so.

Why should one individual have rights that another individual does not have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Of course not. That has nothing to do with my argument. I am trying to find out why any limitations should be placed on the marriage contract if the only constraints around that contract come from biblically determined requirements that are no longer deemed to be relevant to society.

If the same arguments used by the gay coalition for seeking equality for their relationships are used by equally vocal groups now or in the future, why should they be denied the civil rights homosexuals are claiming today?

The only people I dislike are those that judge me based on their own preconceived ideas and are too narrow minded or bigoted to engage in a balanced debate without leaning on fallicies and attacks
Polygamy is a biblical marriage type. (many of the lords favorites had many wives and concubines)
Child marriage is a biblical marriage type. (Mary was 14 when married)

The laws of the US are not the laws of the bible. Last time I checked we are not a theocracy.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:57 PM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I see now why you hate gays, they don't support NAMBLA and you do.

Yeah, I see you have issues with reading comprehension.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post

Individuals should decide for themselves what is moral.

Really? So if a florist believes that any non-biblically based marriage is immoral, that is their protected right and they should not be forced to be involved in providing labor for an activity that individual deems immoral?

Adoption was forbidden to gay people for the protection of children, should that be a valid reason to deny gays to adopt?

Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Polygamy is a biblical marriage type. (many of the lords favorites had many wives and concubines)
Child marriage is a biblical marriage type. (Mary was 14 when married)

The laws of the US are not the laws of the bible. Last time I checked we are not a theocracy.
In biblical times, women lived to the ripe old age of 30, so 14 doesn't seem outrageous, taken in context. Context is something you refuse to take into account when you cherry-pick bits and pieces of the bible. Your shotgun approach to supporting your argument fails because you ignore the context of the information you probably read from a pro-ssm website.

I never said we were a theocracy. The founders of the nation, however, were inspired by Judeo-Christian values and principles and those values and principles are notably apparent in our founding documents and historical national culture.

A nation does not have to be a "theocracy" to be guided by the values and principles of religion.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I agree. It's exciting to watch history happen right in front of our eyes! I was too young for the Civil Rights movement of the 60s.

Funny you should mention that. Gay Marriage Isn

This essay NAILS it.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Really? So if a florist believes that any non-biblically based marriage is immoral, that is their protected right and they should not be forced to be involved in providing labor for an activity that individual deems immoral?

Adoption was forbidden to gay people for the protection of children, should that be a valid reason to deny gays to adopt?
If the florist wants to personally believe that any non-biblically based marriage is immoral, that is her right. If she wants to conduct her personal life that way, that is her right. When she enters into commerce with the general public and wants to illegally discriminate based on her beliefs, that is when there is a problem. She has no right to do so.

No one should be denied adoption based on their sexual orientation.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
In biblical times, women lived to the ripe old age of 30, so 14 doesn't seem outrageous, taken in context. Context is something you refuse to take into account when you cherry-pick bits and pieces of the bible. Your shotgun approach to supporting your argument fails because you ignore the context of the information you probably read from a pro-ssm website.

I never said we were a theocracy. The founders of the nation, however, were inspired by Judeo-Christian values and principles and those values and principles are notably apparent in our founding documents and historical national culture.

A nation does not have to be a "theocracy" to be guided by the values and principles of religion.

More and more people consider themselves non-religious. Why should they hold to values and principles which they do not share? Isn't forcing them to do so establishing religion?

Old 04-03-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. Gay Marriage Isn

This essay NAILS it.
IMO, the writer has not nailed anything.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Taken in context, homosexual relationships were not even mentioned in the bible.
Cult temple practices including orgies and homosexual sex were discussed, but not loving committed relationships.

Christian values like owning other humans, and considering women as little more than property? Great values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events