Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times

Advertisements

From your links:

"Then he said Goodman took a fifth candy, five times the recommended dose. His mother says her son likely didn’t see the warning on the back of the container which says, “The intoxicating effects of this product may be delayed by two or more hours … the standardized serving size for this product includes no more than 10 mg.”

1. Mom seems to be conjecturing and reving to sue someone.

2. If you are going to take "five times" of anything, how much can be blamed on the ingesting adult vs the drug? People have died from 5xs energy drinks who *didn't* have a gun. All of these people killed self or others by gunfire except for the one who jumped.

Guns and drugs don't mix. Period. Any drug.

I can't believe I really had to type that out but I guess it's not a given yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Dad Eats Daughter's Pot Brownies, Thinks He's Having A Stroke: Cops

While it was dumb to leave them out now this girl will have a drug conviction and can kiss any financial aid for school bye and have a much harder time getting a job. All before she's even an adult. Pretty amazing how our government would rather more people live off welfare than legalize a harmless plant.

If that is your take on this story, I think you might have been eating a few too many brownies yourself !

She broke the law, endangered her own Dad, and she needs to pay the price. Period.

Don

Old 04-01-2015, 06:09 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
It should always be the individual's choice whether to partake and the daughter removed the father's right to make his own decision. This is no different than spiking someone's drink without their knowledge.

Both are very lucky he didn't get into a car and kill someone. Sad to say, but I suspect many do not comprehend the seriousness of her actions until there is serious injury or death involved. A strong message that this behavior is unacceptable needs to be conveyed.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Short of a few reports from religious based anti-drug groups, I have never heard or seen anyone have a "bad reaction" to MJ. It is time to legalize it
I think you'll find that quite a few people in my home state of Colorado have over-consumed pot edibles to the point of being hospitalized. The head of emergency medicine at the University of Colorado Hospital has been interviewed at least a couple of times about the issue. In any case, it's still illegal for a minor to possess or consume marijuana even here. I'm just glad the father is okay. I'm sure it was a very scary experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
It should always be the individual's choice whether to partake and the daughter removed the father's right to make his own decision. This is no different than spiking someone's drink without their knowledge.
Well said.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Not cool! I support legalization, and think prohibition is an absolute failure! Having said that, while the dad more than likely will not be permanently harmed, when you hear stuff like this it only provides ammo to the prohibitionists to keep the status quo!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
I'm pro-legalization too.

That being said, if someone left out an unmarked bottle of prescription drugs of some sort and another adult swallowed a few thinking they were aspirin, would the person get in trouble for negligence or something? Or even if they left out a pitcher of spiked punch and someone else got alcohol poisoning because it just tasted like koolaid?

No clue what the laws would be on that.

But... the girl broke the law as it stands in her area right now. Her father was right to go to the ER thinking he was having a stroke. What average parent would assume that his daughter left pot brownies on the counter?

I think the law should be changed, but the girl did break one. She should get in trouble. Like someone above said, she acting exceedingly irresponsibly in leaving her treats laying around. Her father could have lost his job or anything.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Original statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Short of a few reports from religious based anti-drug groups, I have never heard or seen anyone have a "bad reaction" to MJ. It is time to legalize it

My reply showing that some people do, in fact, have bad reactions to marijuana. I provided links that were most definitely not "religious based anti-drug groups."

My reply was benign, with no value judgement attached to it. I neither said pot was good or pot was bad. I merely stated that, "marijuana reactions are not always harmless."

Your reply:
a) merely restated what I said in the first sentence. Bad reactions happen mostly to people who eat too much of an edible.

b) has its own conjecture about what the mom's motives may or may not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
From your links:

"Then he said Goodman took a fifth candy, five times the recommended dose. His mother says her son likely didn’t see the warning on the back of the container which says, “The intoxicating effects of this product may be delayed by two or more hours … the standardized serving size for this product includes no more than 10 mg.”

1. Mom seems to be conjecturing and reving to sue someone.

2. If you are going to take "five times" of anything, how much can be blamed on the ingesting adult vs the drug? People have died from 5xs energy drinks who *didn't* have a gun. All of these people killed self or others by gunfire except for the one who jumped.

Guns and drugs don't mix. Period. Any drug.

I can't believe I really had to type that out but I guess it's not a given yet.
And Vistaian chimed in with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
That is because almost everything you have been taught about the plant has been propaganda, with its roots based in corruption.

Please don't throw your hands up and say "oh great! Another pothead spreading HIS propaganda!". DO THE RESEARCH.

Here's a post, courtesy of Sonic_Spork, that sums it up quite well. Sonic_Spork is someone who has not only researched it, but she actually wrote college papers about the subject:

Quote:
I've actually written a few college papers on the history of pot prohibition. It's interesting stuff. A true tale of "follow the money" and sensationalist propaganda...and the American people bought it hook, line and sinker. Except those that had the personal experience to know better, I guess.
This is irrelevant to my assertion that SOME people have bad reactions to marijuana when they eat way more than the recommended dosage. I am not disputing the motives of the anti-marijuana crowd. There is big money interests in keeping it illegal.

What Sonic Spork wrote was a research paper about motives; he did not write papers detailing the effects of marijuana edibles on people. How do I know that? Because that research has never been done.

Most people who say this can't happen are drawing on their own experiences. Neither they nor their friends have never eaten too many edibles and experienced a bad reaction, therefore, it must not ever happen. Well, that is akin to saying that since none of my friends or I have drunk enough alcohol to experience alcohol poisoning, it must not exist. We all know that this statement is wrong.

It seems to me, if I were to reach any sort of preliminary conclusion, that marijuana edibles may be harmful if consumed in large quantities. I hope that eventually research is properly studied by medical professionals so we can find out more about how too much marijuana affects people.

P.S. One last thing about the original story:

The girl who baked the pot brownies is 17. Even in states where recreational marijuana is legal, she is not of legal age to possess or consume marijuana, so I guess the point of whether or not she broke the law is moot. She did.

Hopefully, she gets community service and a deferred sentence from the courts as well as a grounding and loss of her iPhone from dad.

Last edited by davidv; 04-01-2015 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
You know what? No matter what thread you post this nonsense in, I am not going to let you get away with it.

That is simply not true. Most of the flimsy reasons you stand on as reasons why prohibition should remain in place will go away when prohibition ends. You are just too biased to see it.

Your "reality" when it comes to cannabis is based solely on the asshats you deal with every day. They are irresponsible people doing irresponsible things. But 90% of all the cannabis users out there are people you never come into contact with, because they are responsible people that use it responsibly. However, you blindly and admittedly lump all of them together, stating that all of them are irresponsible, non-productive citizens who cannot be trusted. You don't know how wrong you are, and actually you are the one being quite irresponsible because you are the one with the gun, the power, and the authority to ruin peoples lives because of your terribly myopic view of all cannabis users.

What a load of garbage! Please show where our ER's are getting loaded down with cannabis users. Sorry, but that isn't happening sir, and as is normal for you, you shoot yourself in the foot every time you try to spread such falsehoods.

Also, please show where our social and medical programs are getting overrun by people in poor health because of cannabis use. Sorry again sir. You are making stuff up again, just like you did in the Colorado thread. Remember your comments about counties that supposedly "want nothing to do with cannabis" and that have "banned it altogether"?

Here is a quote made by you from that same Colorado thread:

So you said it yourself. Because alcohol is highly regulated and controlled it is by far the lesser of the two problems. Yet you steadfastly refuse to see that the same benefits from regulation and control apply to cannabis also.

That is your acute myopia rearing its ugly head again...

Instead of just quoting and bleating perhaps you can so some research about the uptick of er hospitalizations because of mj... while it APPEARS on its face to be safer than alcohol its still a narcotic and subject to abuse... and er visits.. and DUI.. and crime... here where I work we get dope rips..robberies.. and mj crime all the time.. at least one honey oil explosion per month ...
And hell yes the he stole my medicine reports on a regular basis...

I hate drugs.. I'm totally open with that ... drug users ..pick any drug.. when abused are a drag on everyone and our country ... you want to get high in your bedroom without impacting upon the world ..have at it.. but that is not the indefensible public face of in this case pot...
Most potheads do everything they can on CD to convince the rest of us what worthwhile productive citizens they are... except moments stoned are moments unrealized

But..please tell us what a great addition to our world another intoxicant is...

If you read my responses to THIS thread you would see my opinion was very conservative in action... family matter for daddy to deal with his daughter on... maybe he failed in his parenting... maybe his kid is mentally damaged... maybe permissive pot people dumbed down in her mind what she did so she lost her way morally... maybe she just erred... but.. still ..let daddy handle...
Someone like me will see her as an adult if she bears evil on someone else ....

Last edited by notmeofficer; 04-01-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
As an avid pot smoker I can comfortably say that the dad is a square and these police/prosecutors are asshats.
I don't think the girl should be punished legally, but I can't blame the dad, either. If he knew he ingested pot he wouldn't have been scared. The problem was he didn't know, and so thought he was having a stroke, which is actually understandable. So he called 911. If he had never been high, how would he have known what was going on? HE should ground her for the rest of the year for leaving them out and not warning him, but the legal system shouldn't be involved.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:35 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
But it was harmless. He just had a panic attack and obviously had never smoked before. Also he has to now pay no doubt an expensive hospital bill and lawyer/court fees for his daughter. Good going, dad
Harmless to whom?

Absolutely, blame the victim yet again for something someone else did that is "Illegal".

What part of the word "Illegal" do you not understand?
What part of the phrase "Dad is the victim and could have had other consequences" do you not understand?

Pot is NOT harmless as so many want others to believe, people are allergic to it, people get sick from it, people die from using it, people lose their jobs over this "harmless" plant because it IS an ILLEGAL DRUG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events