Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Your racial bias and assumptions are showing. Which statistics and do they show the real picture?

I would contend that the actions of the guy in the OP were far less harmful than the acts of someone like Bernie Madoff. Thousands of lives (and families) were ruined by Madoff and those effects will be felt for decades.
As a true minority in this country, I've experienced racial bigotry from within and outside of my race. So I do understand the effects.

However we can't keep ignoring and distorting the facts when the numbers don't lie. The evidence and stats are as clear as the blue sky today.

Arguing with you about stats is the same as people in the middle ages that refuse to believe the earth is round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
I'm ignoring all the posts bringing this fool's race into the conversation but it's a shame he didn't turn his life around. He received the gift of life and didn't appreciate that.

My niece who is a PA told me a story that this lady had received a kidney transplant. She did well for a couple of years taking the anti-rejection meds but suddenly stopped because she was tired of taking the meds. She ended up back on dialysis and wanted to be on the donor list again. When the transplant board found out she had a transplant from a donor recently and decided not to continue medication, they refused to put her on the list. I posted this bit of info because you never know if a person will do right after a transplant whether they are a criminal or your typical housewife.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I'm ignoring all the posts bringing this fool's race into the conversation but it's a shame he didn't turn his life around. He received the gift of life and didn't appreciate that.

My niece who is a PA told me a story that this lady had received a kidney transplant. She did well for a couple of years taking the anti-rejection meds but suddenly stopped because she was tired of taking the meds. She ended up back on dialysis and wanted to be on the donor list again. When the transplant board found out she had a transplant from a donor recently and decided not to continue medication, they refused to put her on the list. I posted this bit of info because you never know if a person will do right after a transplant whether they are a criminal or your typical housewife.

no. but I'd bet on the housewife over the criminal.

every. frickin. time.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A pointless comparison to distract from the issue a hand as was dropping the R-word at least once in your post.
No more pointless and distracting than the race issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Lets hope this incident opens some eyes. I think this incident might have donors making demands on their donations and making sure the person who receives the donation meets a strict criteria.
If someone is willing to be a donor, I would hope there would be no demands (other than what's required by the board) unless they would be a live donor (kidney only). And if they would have that attitude, imo they should donate to someone they know who is in need of an organ.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:37 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Did he agree to donate his own organs ? Can this heart be transplanted into someone else now? I hope he at least did some good with those 2 extra years he was given.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Did he agree to donate his own organs ? Can this heart be transplanted into someone else now? I hope he at least did some good with those 2 extra years he was given.
From the TV footage I saw of the crash, he was DOS (Dead on Scene) They had to cut him out of (what was left of the stolen) car, and that can take a while, then wait for the coroner to arrive etc.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:57 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think we already gave a heart transplant to a horrible person in Dick Cheney. Guess this makes two that we know about. Wow, what a waste of a heart, but it goes to show you how misguided these wacko civil rights groups are!
Who is this "we" you are talking about?

Cheney didn't b&e, shoot an elderly woman before stealing her car, run over an innocent person, and commit suicide via ramming the stolen vehicle into a pole. Waste of a good heart and the hundreds of thousands that were wasted on his surgery and care via public funds. The money could have helped a poor person who actually needed it and would have greatly appreciated the assistance.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:19 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?

If, 15 years from now, he had been a feature article in People magazine about how getting a heart transplant had turned his life around and he went on to med school and was specializing in pediatric transplants -- everyone would have been saying, "Awwww . . . how wonderful!"

You just never know what path someone might choose. "He did not choose . . . wisely." Any mother would have fought just as fiercely to save her child, regardless if the child was a perfect angel or a terror.

The story did not have a happy ending -- but to second-guess a medical decision from two years ago and blame them for that now is NOT useful, helpful or even relevant. The young man died -- stupidly and spectacularly. It's sad, all around, and I'm sure his family and even his doctors are feeling many different degrees of sadness, frustration and chagrin.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
At 17, he would have had a limited license -- you don't get a "full-fledged license" in Georgia until the age of 18. I don't know if the limited license allows for organ donors, since they are underage . . . interesting question. Most donors are on so many immunosuppressent drugs that they are not eligible to be donors. If he was dead on the scene for a while, the likelihood decreases rapidly.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i feel bad for the organ donor too. what's the point in donating your organs if they're going to be figuratively thrown in the trash?
I think the heart donor probably isn't in a position to care, much . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events