Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think what he was saying is that there's a difference between molestation and rape. For example let's say a 19 year old girl put her hand on the backside of a 17 year old boy she liked. Technically, she is a child molester but would anyone seriously think she deserves to die or that her crime is worse than gruesomely murdering a bunch of people? Because that would just be stupid. Everything has different shades.

Yes everything has different shades, and therefore I see things case by case. And I believe many states have age of consent laws. In other words a 19 year old dude banging his 17 year old girlfriend should not be construed as rape! There isn't much difference in the mentality at 17 and 19. Now for example if you're 35 and banging a 17 year old, then there is something is wrong with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Outrage over various crimes can't be reduced to some mathematical or scientific formula based on the urge to pass on genetic material or how much quantitative "worth" a human life has in various stages of development.

Some people with Aspergers use intellect as a replacement for emotional empathy. I think that might have something to do with this thread. (one poster did mention his or her autism). It might be akin to discussing a rainbow with a blind person.

I believe the justice system should be in the business of preventing crime, not revenge. A "normal" man doesn't suddenly see a toddler, get "inexplicably" aroused and molest her and then never do it again. What's the current stat? Only 1-2% of pedophiles fail to repeat offend. The chance that any child molester will do it again is astronomical and therefore they shouldn't get out of jail (either life imprisonment or the death penalty).

Containing dangerous people isn't medieval. Any calls for the rack or torture are merely an emotional response. I'm sure very few people actually support them as a practical measure.
I would love to see the sources of that 98-99% figure. Every source I have ever read is around 30-40%. I don't have autism or Aspergers by the way, don't confuse logical thinking with those conditions.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:05 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post

Some people with Aspergers use intellect as a replacement for emotional empathy. I think that might have something to do with this thread. (one poster did mention his or her autism). It might be akin to discussing a rainbow with a blind person.
You don't understand autism at all. Autistic people are more emotionally sensitive than average, they just suppress it as they get older because it gets to be too much. I dislike the glorification of violent revenge because I am sensitive, not because I'm insensitive. The idea of someone getting their rocks off on hurting someone else bothers me, even if they are a bad person and "deserve" it. Maybe people with autism are just less biased towards relatives and children, and more caring about humanity as a whole.

I hate child abuse. I don't even support spanking children. But children grow up to be adults, and it's not like they don't matter once they hit 13 or 18.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes everything has different shades, and therefore I see things case by case. And I believe many states have age of consent laws. In other words a 19 year old dude banging his 17 year old girlfriend should not be construed as rape! There isn't much difference in the mentality at 17 and 19. Now for example if you're 35 and banging a 17 year old, then there is something is wrong with you!
However, if you are 65 banging a 18 year old you are a winner. Seems a bit arbitrary to me.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:25 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times
If it were my child, and this POS judge cut down the sentence given by a jury of his peers, then I'd do everything in my power to force him off the bench, and he'd regret he'd displayed such stupidity.

The reasoning he gives for commuting the sentence has got to be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard. Someone like that has no business presiding over any cases.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,806 times
This state sux..... the things these Liberal judges are doing is astonishing. One judge just forced the California Prison system and tax payers to pay for a sex change for an inmate. Stating that it was cruel and inhumane treatment not to. Or words to that affect ! God I hate this state.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:03 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I could just as easily argue you are biased because you are a parent.
The difference is that I have been a non-parent and a parent. I know the experience from both sides of the fence. You do not. You can merely speculate.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 PM

177 posts, read 331,591 times
You take innocence...you get life!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:14 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
You take innocence...you get life!
Isn't that sort of judging the child as also being guilty and worthless now because of what happened to her?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:17 PM

To everyone in this thread, would you have rather been touched as a child or murdered as a young adult? This is the reason the sentences shouldn't be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events