Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,209,486 times

Advertisements

Gwyneth Paltrow cuts back for food stamp challenge - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:05 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,901,278 times
Well, I'm sure her personal chef can make tasty meals from that. The poor millionaire celebrity.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,157,015 times
What’s this public relations stunt all about? I don’t feel sorry for a single person that can’t make do on $29 worth of food stamps a week. I know get the torches and the rope. I flat out just don’t care. What Mrs. Paltrow forgot to mention is a good number of people on food stamps also get cash aid, have access to food pantries etc. This is just more intellectual dishonesty spread by the left to evoke a response from the lowest common denominator.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,660,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What’s this public relations stunt all about? I don’t feel sorry for a single person that can’t make do on $29 worth of food stamps a week. I know get the torches and the rope. I flat out just don’t care. What Mrs. Paltrow forgot to mention is a good number of people on food stamps also get cash aid, have access to food pantries etc. This is just more intellectual dishonesty spread by the left to evoke a response from the lowest common denominator.
and to add, just because they only get $29/week in food stamps, doesn't mean that's all they can spend on food. Maybe they have to chip in a few dollars to pay to feed themselves. The food stamps is supposed to supplement, not cover every bit of food you need. Besides, those that i know that receive food stamps receive much more. I'm guessing the $29/week is for one single person? My niece with 4 illegitimate children gets $700/month plus wic for all 4 of them. The wic alone supplies all the milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, beans, and peanut butter they will ever need, so with the remainder $700, they eat very well.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:40 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,030,993 times
SNAP [Food Stamps] = Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

It not suppose to be the only money you spend on food, its suppose to help you out...

Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,308,072 times
I'll go with publicity stunt.

In addition to what everyone else has already said in that this is supposed to be supplemental, many people get more help than $29, food banks, etc., I'll add this. If you only have $29, you probably won't buy the two kinds of lettuce, seven limes, cilantro and green onions. These particular vegetables/fruit don't add much nutritional value and mainly a little taste. The yellow onion is a little more useful. Not sure if that is bok choy or celery . I'm on the fence about the nutritional value in this instance for that and the tomato. IMO, she's too far out there to believable.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:17 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,152,764 times
So, what's your $29 a week menu, Sarah?

I remember when a Republican Rep did this during the Reagan Adminitration. His family lived 1 month, allegedly, off food stamps. They said it wasnt bad. This was at the same time President Reagan was on TV saying Ketchup is a vegetable.

So, that makes a hotdog with a slice of government processed cheese food a balanced meal apparently...

Gwen can buy cheaper stuff, but then we will all criticize her for being suddenly obese, lol.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:27 AM

There is no way someone could live off of that food for a week. Lettuce and limes? Yeah, she's so in touch with normal working mothers (as she said last year). If I had only $29 to spend on food for a week, I'd look for sales, things like chicken leg quarters, pork chops, etc. Then I'd get canned tuna, peanut butter, bread, rice, eggs, condensed soup, boloney, etc. It wouldn't be the best eating, but you do what you have to do with $29.

With that said, I've never seen anyone on food stamps have to eat like this. Most of the people I know who receive food stamps eat good.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
So, what's your $29 a week menu, Sarah?

I remember when a Republican Rep did this during the Reagan Adminitration. His family lived 1 month, allegedly, off food stamps. They said it wasnt bad. This was at the same time President Reagan was on TV saying Ketchup is a vegetable.

So, that makes a hotdog with a slice of government processed cheese food a balanced meal apparently...

Gwen can buy cheaper stuff, but then we will all criticize her for being suddenly obese, lol.
Sad to say but a hot dog and cheese is healthier than the way many Americans eat, without regards to cost. However, it's food, are we supposed to make sure food stampers can afford steak and salad? No, it's supposed to be to keep them from starving. When you have no choice but food stamps or starving, I wouldn't complain about the quality of foods you get for free.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:30 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,044,267 times
I think cutting her back is a bit drastic, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events