Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There is no way someone could live off of that food for a week. Lettuce and limes? Yeah, she's so in touch with normal working mothers (as she said last year). If I had only $29 to spend on food for a week, I'd look for sales, things like chicken leg quarters, pork chops, etc. Then I'd get canned tuna, peanut butter, bread, rice, eggs, condensed soup, boloney, etc. It wouldn't be the best eating, but you do what you have to do with $29.

With that said, I've never seen anyone on food stamps have to eat like this. Most of the people I know who receive food stamps eat good.

I don't know anyone on food stamps as you do, but none of them seem to "eat good". They all look painfully thin or morbidly obese.

Paltrow doesn't eat junk food or meat. So rule out chicken parts, bolney and canned soup.

Publicity stunt? Maybe. But her heart is in the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:57 AM

185 posts, read 184,832 times
The best thing to buy is peanut butter, as long as you're not allergic to it. PB, bread, and milk. Done.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:16 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
That $29 is for only ONE person, right?

I fed a family of 5 for $50/wk for several months when my husband was out of work. Granted, that was about 10 years ago, but even doubled to $100 for inflation, that's only 20 bucks a person.

Lots of oats, beans, chicken, fresh produce, etc, did most of my shopping at Aldi (a discount grocery). It wasn't even that hard.

Heck, 29 bucks a person would be $145 for a family of five. I would think lots of working families, who pay for their own food, easily eat on $145 a week.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:41 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I don't know anyone on food stamps as you do, but none of them seem to "eat good". They all look painfully thin or morbidly obese.

Paltrow doesn't eat junk food or meat. So rule out chicken parts, bolney and canned soup.

Publicity stunt? Maybe. But her heart is in the right place.
Yep. If she had not taken the challenge (given to her by a fellow celeb on Twitter) then an equal number of people would be criticizing her and calling her arrogant and uncaring for THAT.

I think I read somewhere that congress has already cut SNAP budget twice and this "stunt" as some have called it is AFAIK an attempt to bring awareness to the general public so that voters/constituents will bring pressure on their reps to not cut it more.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM

89 posts, read 101,216 times
This is so belittling in my opinion. A food stamp challenge is not going to give you enough retrospect to the life of someone who truly needs food stamps.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
I made a huge batch of Minestrone soup the other day in the crock pot. It was full of veggies, beans and pasta and the whole pot cost about $8 total for all of the ingredients. There is enough soup for a family of four to eat a bowl for lunch everyday for a week. It's healthy, filling and cheap. It was also super easy to make.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Depends where you are, too. Here, I can't get that price for chicken at the ethnic stores, but can maybe come close on a good grocery sale. Ten pounds of potatoes is generally $3 and up, milk is $3.29 at the cheapest store nearby. Butter goes on sale for $2.50/lb sometimes, but is usually closer to $4.

Shopping at the least expensive markets frequently requires multiple trips; it's what we do, and we're not on SNAP. But we have a car, and everything's reasonably close. Pathmark is the closest, but it's also a pretty expensive store, with some occasional good deals.
Yes, again we come up against the problem that poor and homeless people don't usually live near cheap markets, and may not have transportation to go to one, or may be physically unable to carry a load of groceries back home, or may not be able to cook at home.

I've seen an occasional cheaper supermarket open in a slummy area, but quite often they have to close, or increase their prices, because of shoplifting and/or robberies - not to mention shoppers having to run a gauntlet of beggars before they can even get inside.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
So, what's your $29 a week menu, Sarah?

I remember when a Republican Rep did this during the Reagan Adminitration. His family lived 1 month, allegedly, off food stamps. They said it wasnt bad. This was at the same time President Reagan was on TV saying Ketchup is a vegetable.

So, that makes a hotdog with a slice of government processed cheese food a balanced meal apparently...

Gwen can buy cheaper stuff, but then we will all criticize her for being suddenly obese, lol.

You had to go all the way back to Reagan? Plenty of liberal clowns have been pulling this publicity stunt more recently, one less than two years ago.

And BTW, notwithstanding the krap some people put it on, only one TBSP of catsup has almost as much lycopene as a whole tomato.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:09 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

You had to go all the way back to Reagan? Plenty of liberal clowns have been pulling this publicity stunt more recently, one less than two years ago.

And BTW, notwithstanding the krap some people put it on, only one TBSP of catsup has almost as much lycopene as a whole tomato.
yes..and we all should have high fructose corn syrup in our daily allotment of vegetables

Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM

98 posts, read 88,402 times
Default Ronald Reagan did not say Ketchup was a vegetable,

one of the federal agencies under his administration did and of course people were kick to say it was him, giving them some perverse delight for reasons unknown. it is always better to be factual...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events