Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Ok, so everything legal should become illegal and everything illegal will become legal then? Or do you suggest to legalize everything since its all attainable anyways?

just wondering what you suggest to make things better.
I don't think there are any easy answers. On one hand, prohibition is NOT successful, on the other certain drugs,especially Bath Salts, Meth, Cocaine, Heroine etc are, addictive and extremely harmful to the individual. It appears these prescription drugs are just as bad as the bath salts, meth,heroine, and cocaine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:31 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I don't think there are any easy answers. On one hand, prohibition is NOT successful, on the other certain drugs,especially Bath Salts, Meth, Cocaine, Heroine etc are, addictive and extremely harmful to the individual. It appears these prescription drugs are just as bad as the bath salts, meth,heroine, and cocaine.
Sad ... so sad.

More reading on the issue here.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Sad ... so sad.

More reading on the issue here.
Wow, pardon my spelling there is a difference between the drug and heroic women. I appreciate your sense of humor in the matter. OH, for God's sake the silent "e"...my bad.

Last edited by FlowerPower00; 05-09-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Wow, pardon my spelling there is a difference between the drug and heroic women. I appreciate your sense of humor in the matter. OH, for God's sake the silent "e"...my bad.
LOL ... Hey, stan4 tried to tell you on the previous page. Guess I was a bit more obvious.

Anyway, yeah, a pet peeve of mine (I go crazy trying to read these forums). Carry on ...

Old 05-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
LOL ... Hey, stan4 tried to tell you on the previous page. Guess I was a bit more obvious.

Anyway, yeah, a pet peeve of mine (I go crazy trying to read these forums). Carry on ...
Well, I sort of need to have something hit me between the eyes, subtleties often go right over my head.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Was wondering what type of drugs were leading to the spike. Seems like its pain meds. I'm hearing about a heroine epidemic in some areas resulting from the increase in pain med use.

Stress, anxiety, depression. Often causes.

Marijuana can treat the above. Marijuana users are safer drivers.

Prescription Meds kill more people each year than all illegal drugs combined.
It's hard to have a fatal overdose on anything other than an opiate or benzo (i.e. valium).

Old 05-09-2015, 01:31 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't have to look it up.
I don't live in a world of make-believe-so-I-can-get-high-pick-the-stats-I-want.
I work in a trauma center.

I deal with the issue as well. And I help take care of someone with a TBI due to an auto accident. Posters on here like to make assumptions like I don't care about safety, but maybe I'm right and am just too radical for some to accept.

The point I was making is that we're not basing all of our laws on risk. Whether to the public, or personal risk.

Of course there's a heroin epidemic (not an epidemic of females that vanquish bad guys).
The same losers who love getting high from Rx drugs are going to find a fix one way or another.
But we're happy that we can take the Rx meds out of the picture.
Americans use most of the hydrocodone ON THE PLANET. That needed to stop a long time ago.
I don't mind loser drug addicts (and that INCLUDES alcohol) self-selecting themselves out of the gene pool.
It just makes me angry when they take other people with them.
For some, marijuana can help break addiction. And for some, it could keep them from EVER BECOMING ADDICTED. Which is huge imo. Plus take into account the public threat to society, and you have a safer drug than legal drugs, that is outlawed that people are using for various beneficial reasons.

So basically what I'm saying is that we're compounding our own problems. Maybe someone had a better plan originally.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:36 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's hard to have a fatal overdose on anything other than an opiate or benzo (i.e. valium).
Gotcha.

It'd be interesting to compare some of the drugs as far as effectiveness. I also wonder if more research on MJ could create better natural remedies to some of our ailments.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:42 PM

one solution would be to make suboxone more available to opiate addicts. In case you don't know what it is: "In 2002, the Food and Drug Administration approved Suboxone for use in medication-assisted therapy for prescription drug and heroin users. The drug combines the opioid buprenorphine with naloxone, an opiate blocker that prevents users from injecting the drug, and is billed as less addictive than methadone and less likely to lead to overdoses." Some states do not allow payment for suboxone under medicaid and others impose restrictions on which doctors can prescribe it, how many patients they can have who are being prescribed, and some require "other drug treatment" which is not usually paid for by medicaid. Neither suboxone nor methadone are a successful treatment for all heroin addicts, but they work for some.

In the US we have this bizarre idea that the only solution to addiction is abstinence and that if an addict can't be 100% drug free there is a problem with their character or will. Many drug programs (even out patient) have a "one strike and you are out" policy so that if an addict relapses even one time they are kicked out of the program.

I don't believe in prohibition, it never has worked, but I understand the public's resistance to decriminalizing 'hard drugs', so maybe a compromise would be to establish clinics as they have done in Vancouver Canada where a heroin addict reports up to three times a day and receives a prescribed dose of heroin which is self administered under the supervision of medical personnel who can intervene in case of an overdose.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Gotcha.

It'd be interesting to compare some of the drugs as far as effectiveness. I also wonder if more research on MJ could create better natural remedies to some of our ailments.
It's hard to say, I knew one long time heroin addict who tried suboxone and methadone and neither helped him much, but he was finally able to get off heroin when he acquired marijuana with a very high THC content. He told me that the MJ didn't make him 'high' but took the hard cravings away that allowed him to function without constantly wanting to shoot heroin.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 05-09-2015 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events