Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
one solution would be to make suboxone more available to opiate addicts. In case you don't know what it is: "In 2002, the Food and Drug Administration approved Suboxone for use in medication-assisted therapy for prescription drug and heroin users. The drug combines the opioid buprenorphine with naloxone, an opiate blocker that prevents users from injecting the drug, and is billed as less addictive than methadone and less likely to lead to overdoses." Some states do not allow payment for suboxone under medicaid and others impose restrictions on which doctors can prescribe it, how many patients they can have who are being prescribed, and some require "other drug treatment" which is not usually paid for by medicaid. Neither suboxone nor methadone are a successful treatment for all heroin addicts, but they work for some.

In the US we have this bizarre idea that the only solution to addiction is abstinence and that if an addict can't be 100% drug free there is a problem with their character or will. Many drug programs (even out patient) have a "one strike and you are out" policy so that if an addict relapses even one time they are kicked out of the program.

I don't believe in prohibition, it never has worked, but I understand the public's resistance to decriminalizing 'hard drugs', so maybe a compromise would be to establish clinics as they have done in Vancouver Canada where a heroin addict reports up to three times a day and receives a prescribed dose of heroin which is self administered under the supervision of medical personnel who can intervene in case of an overdose.

I'd support that. I heard the clinics were very effective. It could also help with the spread of diseases due to needle use. Which could better benefit the public.

I was talking to my mom the other day about the issue. She's VERY Conservative on drug use. Mostly due to her upbringing. However she's starting to think about alternative solutions. Instead of funding the Prison Industrial Complex why not fund healthcare, rehabilitation and research? Those are jobs as well and would actually help reduce our long term expenses rather than increase them through creating a more violent society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 02:01 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,895,387 times
Prescription drug abuse has always been a major killer. I think the reason is because of the acetaminophen (Tylenol) that's included in many of the formulas. If they would get rid of the acetaminophen, liver complications would drop significantly. So many abusers take in excessive doses of the stuff, and often consume alcohol simultaneously without fully understanding the risks.

In many cases, it's not the drugs that are killing people. It's the people killing themselves due to lack of, or possibly even suppression of information.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:06 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I was talking to my mom the other day about the issue. She's VERY Conservative on drug use. Mostly due to her upbringing. However she's starting to think about alternative solutions. Instead of funding the Prison Industrial Complex why not fund healthcare, rehabilitation and research? Those are jobs as well and would actually help reduce our long term expenses rather than increase them through creating a more violent society.
I think there's a big move in that direction, last year California voters overwhelmingly passed a ballot measure changing a number of criminal offenses from felonies to misdemeanors, it applied to all criminal penalties for personal possession of drugs. In the past we have sent people to prison for having tiny amounts of meth or heroin and the only thing that happens is that the taxpayer spends $62,000 a year for each year they are in prison and they come out of prison much, much worse than they went in.

I am involved in several organizations whose goal is harm reduction. The Drug Policy Alliance has done great work in getting states to add overdose protection samaritan laws which provide immunity from criminal prosecution if you call 911 to seek medical assistance for yourself or someone experiencing an overdose and criminal and civil immunity for those involved with the prescription, possession, or emergency administration of the opioid antidote naloxone to reverse the effects of the overdose.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Quote:
I'm hearing about a heroine epidemic in some areas
Interesting to hear it's that widespread. My wife is always commenting that there is a lack of strong female leads in tv shows and movies, but I'm sure she'll be glad to hear some areas have an abundance in real life.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Prescription drug abuse has always been a major killer. I think the reason is because of the acetaminophen (Tylenol) that's included in many of the formulas. If they would get rid of the acetaminophen, liver complications would drop significantly. So many abusers take in excessive doses of the stuff, and often consume alcohol simultaneously without fully understanding the risks.

In many cases, it's not the drugs that are killing people. It's the people killing themselves due to lack of, or possibly even suppression of information.
Couldn't certain strains of marijuana be used to treat pain? I've just heard of certain conditions where marijuana was the best remedy. I know it wouldn't work for every situation, but it would at least give people a safer alternative.

Good point about the information. I've been anti-prescription meds because of what I've seen personally. I avoid them to treat depression, anxiety and some mental health conditions.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I think there's a big move in that direction, last year California voters overwhelmingly passed a ballot measure changing a number of criminal offenses from felonies to misdemeanors, it applied to all criminal penalties for personal possession of drugs. In the past we have sent people to prison for having tiny amounts of meth or heroin and the only thing that happens is that the taxpayer spends $62,000 a year for each year they are in prison and they come out of prison much, much worse than they went in.

I am involved in several organizations whose goal is harm reduction. The Drug Policy Alliance has done great work in getting states to add overdose protection samaritan laws which provide immunity from criminal prosecution if you call 911 to seek medical assistance for yourself or someone experiencing an overdose and criminal and civil immunity for those involved with the prescription, possession, or emergency administration of the opioid antidote naloxone to reverse the effects of the overdose.
That's good to hear. I really appreciate the work that you do. I think a lot of people do. I only use marijuana, and drink occasionally depending on the circumstances, but I've been affected for various reasons and have seen how some of these charges can ruin someone's life. And can compound what is not a problem, into a serious addiction. I don't think our current system is effective in curing our addiction problems.

We're (Young Americans GenYers) doing a lot on a lot of different fronts. There's 80 Million of us and if they can't divide us, they can't stop us. And so far we've been wiping the floor with em.

I've heard of the Drug Policy Alliance. Good to hear they're doing good work. If its a political push you need, The Movement is where its at.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:13 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Couldn't certain strains of marijuana be used to treat pain? I've just heard of certain conditions where marijuana was the best remedy. I know it wouldn't work for every situation, but it would at least give people a safer alternative.

Good point about the information. I've been anti-prescription meds because of what I've seen personally. I avoid them to treat depression, anxiety and some mental health conditions.
maybe..at least according to this study: "There is a growing body of evidence to support the use of medical cannabis as an adjunct to or substitute for prescription opiates in the treatment of chronic pain".
[url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22880540"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22880540[/UR
L]

and there is this: "in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually"

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medic...drop-25-266577

Old 05-09-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Interesting to hear it's that widespread. My wife is always commenting that there is a lack of strong female leads in tv shows and movies, but I'm sure she'll be glad to hear some areas have an abundance in real life.
What do you mean?

Old 05-09-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
maybe..at least according to this study: "There is a growing body of evidence to support the use of medical cannabis as an adjunct to or substitute for prescription opiates in the treatment of chronic pain".
[url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22880540"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22880540[/UR
L]

and there is this: "in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually"

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medic...drop-25-266577
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check both links out. I think its just a matter of time and education.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
In regards to the title of this thread, the shape of the world, the scrambling of morals and ethics, the uncertainty of what the word "truth" even means anymore, it's no wonder people are trying to escape, get trapped and in a sense, don't really care anymore. That's what I think drug use is all about - escape. A false sense of recreational fun. Lack of self-respect and much self-destruction.

WHERE IS THE HOPE? Where do you place your hope? IS there any hope? My hope is in Christ Jesus. He saved me from myself and the many addictions that were taking me down a slippery slope. If I'm wrong, then what is right? Works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events