Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:54 AM

30,694 posts, read 18,326,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In Texas, the law specifies that an illegal impersonation of a police officer is one in which the impersonator actually attempts to use the authority of a police officer to influence or coerce other people. That is a "fraud" and it is a specification of "impersonation."
What exactly are we disagreeing on? The crime is still "impersonation of a police officer," which is all I'm stating. I've made clear that the impersonation that I state is illegal isn't merely impersonation for entertainment purposes, but impersonation that encompasses a fraudulent intent. But they are both still impersonations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 01:29 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What exactly are we disagreeing on? The crime is still "impersonation of a police officer," which is all I'm stating. I've made clear that the impersonation that I state is illegal isn't merely impersonation for entertainment purposes, but impersonation that encompasses a fraudulent intent. But they are both still impersonations.
Post #53 was yours. <shrug>

Old 06-04-2016, 06:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I sometimes wear a baseball cap with "101st Airborne, Screaming Eagles" inscribed. VietNam vets I encounter while in public, as well as earlier and later vets, have judged -- correctly -- by my appearance that I'm VietNam era. They ask questions about my war experiences and I tell them that I have none. Their attitude toward me sours.

I just walk away, not bothering to explain that my unit went in-country Nov. or Dec. '67 while I mustered out Jan. '67. Probably wouldn't believe me anyway. Probably ought to throw the cap away.
No, you should not. It's your history, you know it, it's yours regardless of what other people expect it to be.

In a similar situation......I have several unit "tokens" of many Army groups and it would be proper for me to wear them in certain situations. I never served in those units, of course, but my father did and I would honor his and their memories.

One of the things that "gets me into trouble" is that my manner of speaking is often more geared so that people may better understand than what is technically correct. For example, I will say that I served in the Atlantic Fleet as oppose to list a number for the former is probably more understandable to more people.

When something doesn't jive to the listener's expectations, it won't be long before their suspicions and paranoia, especially if driven by popular culture, are in charge of their thinking.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I sometimes wear a baseball cap with "101st Airborne, Screaming Eagles" inscribed. VietNam vets I encounter while in public, as well as earlier and later vets, have judged -- correctly -- by my appearance that I'm VietNam era. They ask questions about my war experiences and I tell them that I have none. Their attitude toward me sours.

I just walk away, not bothering to explain that my unit went in-country Nov. or Dec. '67 while I mustered out Jan. '67. Probably wouldn't believe me anyway. Probably ought to throw the cap away.
Well, I did my "Vietnam time" in Thailand, so I'm in a similar situation.

I recently had a conversation with a Marine who did his "Iraq time" in Spain.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:16 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,411,740 times
my dad gave me some old camo, that i like to use for hunting, they still got his patches on it, so is that wrong?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 PM

12,410 posts, read 8,197,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my dad gave me some old camo, that i like to use for hunting, they still got his patches on it, so is that wrong?
I would say no. It was never an issue in the US until what you did as a 20 year old during the Vietnam War became a political issue

Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I would say no. It was never an issue in the US until what you did as a 20 year old during the Vietnam War became a political issue
It really only seems to be a problem with War on Terror zealots.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:00 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,601,063 times
I guess that I fall into this thing about stolen valour, (I'm English, cut me some slack), completely and absolutely truthfully with no desire to pretend to be a military hero.
In my early 30s, my then girlfriend invited me to attend her company's annual bash at the Grosvenor House Hotel in Park Lane, Mayfair.
It was black tie, and the invitation said miniature medals could be worn.
I had zero military history whatsoever, but I saw a set of miniature medals in a pawn shop in Bethnal Green, so for a laugh I bought them, and pinned them to my rented tux, returning them after the dinner and dance.
In the bar at the Grosvenor House, an elderly guy pointed at one of the medals and said to me, "You're looking pretty good for someone who earned a campaign medal for being in South Africa for the second Boer War!"(1899-1902)

Old 06-05-2016, 03:36 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,083,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
technically, as long as it doesn't still have the U.S. (army, navy, air force, marines or coast guard) service branch patch on it, that is on the left side of the chest (over the heart), then you are fine.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:12 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,028,476 times
Quote:

Your choice. I would tell em you mustered out before they shipped overseas. you served with the Eagles.......you earned the right to wear the cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events