Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 05:13 PM

389 posts, read 330,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
As a veteran I could care less if someone wears a camo jacket because it looks cool. But it should be illegal to gain anything from pretending to be a vet.
Isn't that called fraud and already covered by the law? Whether you are pretending to be a vet or anything else to deceive people to give money or property.

The whole stolen valor thing seems ridiculous at best and may violate someone's constitutional right to free speech. Personally I think someone has be a few cards short of a deck to run around pretending to have served in the military when they haven't. But in my mind it's not a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 05:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my dad gave me some old camo, that i like to use for hunting, they still got his patches on it, so is that wrong?

Not to me it isn't. I would have been very proud to have had a son, or even a grandson, wear my old stripes and patches.

I sometimes wear an Air Force ball cap although I spent only four years in a state-side base in the late 1960s. I wear it to honor the Air Force who gave me a kick-start in life, not to honor myself. The Air Force historians barely remember my squadron.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Not illegal if it is not done for monetary-gain.

As a 2-time Medal Of Honor winner..........I am personally offended by the nosey people who cannot mind their own business.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:37 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Not illegal if it is not done for monetary-gain.

As a 2-time Medal Of Honor winner..........I am personally offended by the nosey people who cannot mind their own business.

Has to be the most tasteless post of the day...............

Old 06-08-2016, 12:17 AM

13,271 posts, read 7,321,255 times
I would say this guy is what the law was made for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSJYWK4ioiw

Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
A similar situation - some idiot who doesn't have any idea what's going on proceeds to make an ignorante assumption and then does something nasty (anonymously).

Quote:
A North Carolina Navy veteran parked in a spot marked for veterans at a grocery store Monday, but was shocked to find a note criticizing her when she returned.

Rebecca Hayes said she came out of the Concord store and found a note on her car that read, “This parking spot is for Veterans, lady. Learn to read and have some respect.”
US Navy veteran receives scolding note after parking in veterans' space at store | Fox News

Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
It would be really cool if people could just mind their own business.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
A similar situation - some idiot who doesn't have any idea what's going on proceeds to make an ignorante assumption and then does something nasty (anonymously).

US Navy veteran receives scolding note after parking in veterans' space at store | Fox News
Well, that might be a case of her not having a veteran's license plate. I would not park in a reserved slot unless my car was so identified.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Not much different than me being called out by some old bat the other day for "not looking handicapped" when I walked back to the parking space I've got a plate for.

I wonder what these people do when they see a woman park in the "pregnant women" spaces at some stores? Do they complain if the woman doesn't have a basketball size belly?
I think they should reserve their "ire" for people who use all of these spaces but don't exit the car, instead, they park and let their kid or non-affected person out to run into the store/mall/school etc.
Example; I used to go to my son's school to pick him up. There were 3-4 handicapped spaces right in front and every single day I'd see 2-3 parents with handicapped plates pull in and park in those spaces and wait for their little curmudgeon to come running out and jump in the car.

THAT'S what peeves me!

Old 11-26-2016, 04:43 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think the difference between impersonating a police officer and a member of the armed forces, especially in the U.S., is that there is a very real threat to public safety with someone impersonating a police officer. Police officers have law enforcement authority and have a duty to the public as a whole (are expected to respond to dangerous situations, fight crime, etc.), while the military does not. At least not in the U.S. By impersonating a police officer, one risks creating confusion if there is an actual need for a police officer, which presents a very real safety concern. The same simply cannot be said for impersonating a member of the armed forces, at least not in the US at least.

Don't get me wrong: I think what these people do is disgraceful; I just don't think it should be illegal.

In terms of the physical danger that could come from someone impersonating a member of the armed forces by way of your example, I'd simply say that such danger is hardly imminent (generally speaking) and doesn't threaten the ability of the military to do its job.

The UK is introducing a new bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Government

The ‘Awards for Valour (Protection)’ Bill was supported by the Government at Second Reading in the House of Commons today.

With Government support, the Bill should become law and those flouting the rules, widely known as ‘Walter Mittys’, could face up to 3 months in prison or an unlimited fine.

Defence Minister Harriett Baldwin, who responded to the Bill in the Commons today on behalf of the Government said:

"Wearing unauthorised medals is harmful because it undermines the integrity of our formal military honours system – a historic system that has honoured the bravery and dedication of our world-class Armed Forces since the 19th century".

It is already an offence under the Fraud Act of 2006 for someone to wear a medal they are not entitled to, but only if it is for financial gain. This offence carries a sentence of up to 10 years’ imprisonment. This Bill seeks to tackle those who are not covered by this provision.

Government supports ‘Awards for Valour (Protection)’ Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events