Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 03:49 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

I am not one for drones. Whether to film a commercial and or personal use.

Just not necessary.
And I am positive drones have been used for invasiveness and it will get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 03:58 PM

68 posts, read 56,970 times
Liberals will not cease with their disruption of society until drones are able to marry . Oh wait, that was regular marriage.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Bunyan View Post
Liberals will not cease with their disruption of society until drones are able to marry . Oh wait, that was regular marriage.
Man flies drone therefore liberals are disrupting society.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Did you forget to post the link to that story? as it seems implausible that a large water bomber would even notice some on
Not saying you are wrong but its just the kind of story that perks my curiosity for more details.
I also heard this on the news. The drone owner was being looked for and could be cited for interference with emergency crews. They fire retardant carrying planes can't operate with other craft in the area and drone owners had been told not to. If you lived in one of the homes threatened by this horrible fire, who would you blame? The drone flier should have to repay the cost of the aborted drop.

It is for such reasons that drones operated in and area in which there is an emergency situation should be cited and not allowed to fly them. If drone owners want to play fair and enjoy their toys, they need to stop excusing the thoughtless and unconsiderate who violate personal rights and endanger lives.

Another reason why people shouldn't be playing with drones like kids toys.

Last edited by nightbird47; 06-28-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2015, 04:50 PM

488 posts, read 819,799 times
That minor crash didn't significantly damage the drone. Probably just a $5 rotor replacement. These things are so common now, the people who fly them, er "play with them", are starting to annoy everyone else, esp paranoid people who think they're being spied on. Maybe the fat guy has a pot farm in his backyard and didn't want it photographed.

Are british news outlets really this desperate for stories?

Last edited by mark85; 06-28-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link however i find it a strange practice to be flying ones quadcopter whilst standing in the middle of a forest fire.Also how some one even spotted the device and then went on to divert a DC10 water bomber and other planes is somewhat puzzling as the device would pose no more danger to these aircraft than a large bird.
That was not an ordinary drone. Normal drones people can buy in the store have their maximum height limit electronically restricted. This was some modded custom drone with modded range as well, since like you pointed out, there is no way the drone operator is standing in the middle of forest fire or anywhere close.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That was not an ordinary drone. Normal drones people can buy in the store have their maximum height limit electronically restricted. This was some modded custom drone with modded range as well, since like you pointed out, there is no way the drone operator is standing in the middle of forest fire or anywhere close.
Not completely true. 1500 feet up and could've gone higher had he not lost signal on his un-modded DJI Phantom 2.
See this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdrxNWFjeCY

Old 07-06-2015, 10:07 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not completely true. 1500 feet up and could've gone higher had he not lost signal on his un-modded DJI Phantom 2.
The DJI Phantom 2 has a software height limiter to comply with FAA regulations. The person in the video clearly went into the settings and took off the height limit (I believe he is only getting 1,500ft because the number in settings only goes up to 500 meters, if you completely hack the software it can probably go even higher.) Its like race cars that are speed limit restricted unless on a race track, if you take the electronic limit off its clearly illegal, unless you have an explicit permission.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:57 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link however i find it a strange practice to be flying ones quadcopter whilst standing in the middle of a forest fire.Also how some one even spotted the device and then went on to divert a DC10 water bomber and other planes is somewhat puzzling as the device would pose no more danger to these aircraft than a large bird.
We can easily agree it's a weird idea, but that's besides the point. Traffic is traffic, and water bomber pilots have enough to worry about without having to estimate whether a drone would go through their windshield or not. Had I been a the controls, the drone would have gotten a practical demonstration of wake turbulence, which is one of many reasons I'll never be at the controls of a DC-10.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The DJI Phantom 2 has a software height limiter to comply with FAA regulations. The person in the video clearly went into the settings and took off the height limit (I believe he is only getting 1,500ft because the number in settings only goes up to 500 meters, if you completely hack the software it can probably go even higher.) Its like race cars that are speed limit restricted unless on a race track, if you take the electronic limit off its clearly illegal, unless you have an explicit permission.
Not completely true. My Phantom 2 did not have the limit as I purchased it before any such limit was put in place and like many refused the update install. Not for the restrictions but because the updates caused other problems that affected stability and reliability which in turn affected safety.

To expand this further than just DJI and the Phantom 2, once you go bigger or go to some other control system any restrictions disappear.

Now let's be clear, "I" regard the people who fly into situations where they cause danger to aircraft or impact emergency response as idiots who deserve to lose their equipment and/or go to jail to think about how stupid they are.
People do stupid things all the time, cars,boats,motorcycles etc are used in a manner that they were not made for and is dangerous to others but they're not banned, shot at etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events