Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:23 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Just because it is the law does not mean the officer has to enforce it. They can catch you speeding and they are supposed to give you a ticket does not mean they will they have leeway to judge what is best for the situation.
It depends on the law. Code enforcement is normally complaint initiated and they have no choice but to enforce (unlike speeding, the complainant can sue to enjoin the police to enforce the law, and very frequently does).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 07:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It depends on the law. Code enforcement is normally complaint initiated and they have no choice but to enforce (unlike speeding, the complainant can sue to enjoin the police to enforce the law, and very frequently does).
Police officer said he was driving by and happened to see them set up.
He was not sent there.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:57 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Do you really want to do business with people who have not paid the fees and filled out the proper forms with the government? Maybe these young girls are using these ill gotten gains to give to their father so he can fund a terrorist organization. If you want to live in a FREE country you have to follow ALL the rules.

Said with tongue in cheek.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:06 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Lemonade freedom is all fine and dandy... and then everyone blames the government when there is a listeria outbreak.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Lemonade freedom is all fine and dandy... and then everyone blames the government when there is a listeria outbreak.
^^^^^ is why 8 year olds can't have lemonade stands.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
There's the letter and the spirit... with kids let's go with the spirit
Amen. Being a hardass about the law to little kids is not likely to foster a healthy respect for the law within the hearts and minds of those kids.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,114 times
Quote:
That's funny, cause when a case of Salmonella Poisoning happens to a major brand, no one blames the Government.

Look at the latest case of salmonella poisoning? Have you even heard of 99% of them? Nope. But kids selling Lemonade? Oh, that's just going way to far. Better shut them down.

Why not shut all of these businesses down? They have their "permits, their license" yet they still can't keep us safe.

Salmonella Recalls
All Recalls

Full lists of recalls. (listeria, ecoli, etc etc.) Why can't these permit abiding companies keep us safe?
Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts

Old 06-14-2015, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yes, a neighborhood busybody is most likely the culprit here. That essentially requires someone to act on it because I bet the cops would look the other way.

Regardless, they found a way around it. The lemonade is now "free," with tips optional.
I think I'll drive over to Overton today and get me some free lemonade - and leave a hefty tip.

Somehow, I think these little girls won't have a problem raising the money for the tickets.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
This sort of problem is very common.

We ran a trivia night fundraiser to buy an air conditioner for our community center. We could not actually charge admission (teams donated $10/person to play, but could play for free if they wanted). We could not run any raffles or other side contests that were games of chance. We had to have a notarized list of acceptable answers for the "game of skill" portion (e.g. the trivia).
We were not allowed to give away or sell any drinks or food (even for free we would have needed a health inspection). We could not make cups available (because if anyone poured alcohol in those cups, we were bootlegging).

And here is where it gets weird. Some members of our community do not like the community center; they want it to be a private membership club rather than a community center open to everyone. So, they opposed putting in the air conditioner. They called the health department on us. They called the cops on us.... eight times. They called the ATF and I had to have an interview with an ATF investigator to make sure we were not bootlegging! (He apologized to me profusely. And said he really wished he was allowed to give me the name of the person who complained.)

Of course, we weren't cute little girls with a lemonade stand. We were just a group of people trying to help our community who did follow all of the rules, while the police and health department had to do their job and be the middlemen for the anonymous people who wanted to harass us.
But just think of all the local jobs that all these layers of bureaucracy provide! Oh, wait...that's at tax payer expense. Hmmmmm....

Old 06-14-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Fathers Day gift to: Texas waterpark Splash Kingdom...

Sounds like someplace they would want to do more then there Father..
Hey, I'm a grandmother and I'd LOVE to get tickets to Splash Kingdom from my grandkids! What a ton of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events