Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM

8,398 posts, read 4,394,264 times

Advertisements

As in most things. you have choices.
Choices like:
Being an activist and doing something about it
Moving to another more liberal country
Feeling contrite and fulfilled buy posting inane opinions on the Internet which is pretty much the same as doing nothing
That's what I elect to do anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:07 AM

4,881 posts, read 6,963,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My kids have started buying presents for me that they want. So the drill is that get to have it for a bit and then the one who got me the present will say, 'Hey Dad, if you're not using that ___________ can I have it?" Then it disappears to whichever house.

My oldest son has mentioned he'd like to have a heads up prior to my buying a new shotgun, books or music so he can decide if the purchase is "appropriate".
Now that's funny, but not too far from what goes on with my bunch too.

Father's day will be where whichever of my kids are in the area at the time will go to dinner with us and I pick up the tab (like usual). Get this, my "kids" are 34,33, and 29 and all have good jobs.

You can't mess with tradition.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 AM

4,881 posts, read 6,963,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
This sort of problem is very common.

We ran a trivia night fundraiser to buy an air conditioner for our community center. We could not actually charge admission (teams donated $10/person to play, but could play for free if they wanted). We could not run any raffles or other side contests that were games of chance. We had to have a notarized list of acceptable answers for the "game of skill" portion (e.g. the trivia).
We were not allowed to give away or sell any drinks or food (even for free we would have needed a health inspection). We could not make cups available (because if anyone poured alcohol in those cups, we were bootlegging).

And here is where it gets weird. Some members of our community do not like the community center; they want it to be a private membership club rather than a community center open to everyone. So, they opposed putting in the air conditioner. They called the health department on us. They called the cops on us.... eight times. They called the ATF and I had to have an interview with an ATF investigator to make sure we were not bootlegging! (He apologized to me profusely. And said he really wished he was allowed to give me the name of the person who complained.)

Of course, we weren't cute little girls with a lemonade stand. We were just a group of people trying to help our community who did follow all of the rules, while the police and health department had to do their job and be the middlemen for the anonymous people who wanted to harass us.
Your entire post disgusts me. Not that you posted it, but to read about how far in the toilet our political correctness and lack of empathy have deteriorated our society.

Everyone is out to get someone nowadays. Somehow, it gives them the feeling of "power" which for some reason is craved so much.

I don't know why people watch the daytime soaps when in real life we're actually living it now.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:19 AM

19,905 posts, read 9,464,540 times
I just think it is sad that so much leeway and compassion is given to people who are in this country illegally, but there is no leeway for kids who want to earn their own money and for people who want to help others. (I am referring to those stories about Good Samaritans who get in trouble for trying to give food to the needy.)

Seems to me that our public officials and LEOs could make MUCH better use of their time, which we pay for.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:21 PM

404 posts, read 622,019 times
why teach our children the value of work and entrepreneurship? Get them fully used to dependency on the state for all their needs

Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,819,957 times
That's just one of those things we're going to have to let go. It will soon become a "When I was your age..." thing you'll tell your kids or grandkids.

So no more lemonade stands.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:26 PM

698 posts, read 589,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I would be embarrassed to respond to this call...
I would have bought lemonade and had the entire shift respond to buy lemonade ... I would contact the fire department and have them respond to buy lemonade
Heck I'd get animal control and other city workers to respond
There's the letter and the spirit... with kids let's go with the spirit

I had a lemonade stand when I read a kid
Great memories
Unless it is a black kid named Tamir Rice playing in a park, in which case you have said the officers did the right thing in shooting him within seconds. So, white kids violating laws you will overlook. But a black kid committing no crime deserves to be shot

Old 06-12-2015, 12:28 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,320,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Unless it is a black kid named Tamir Rice playing in a park, in which case you have said the officers did the right thing in shooting him within seconds. So, white kids violating laws you will overlook. But a black kid committing no crime deserves to be shot
The kid was waving a gun that was very realistic. How was the cop to know it wasn't?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:51 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
Do not complain about the cops shutting down the lemonade stand because the law forced them to do their job. Complain, or better, vote out of office the idiots that wrote the law without an exemption for lemonade stands. We are a permit ridden society.

AFAIAC - Police officers should be forbidden from shooting first. They are NOT soldiers in a war. They are police they should not have the right to start a gunfight. They only have the right to respond.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,416,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Do not complain about the cops shutting down the lemonade stand because the law forced them to do their job. Complain, or better, vote out of office the idiots that wrote the law without an exemption for lemonade stands. We are a permit ridden society.

AFAIAC - Police officers should be forbidden from shooting first. They are NOT soldiers in a war. They are police they should not have the right to start a gunfight. They only have the right to respond.
Well, if they wait till they're fired on first, they might not be able to respond at all. Sounds like a dead police officer and a still alive and armed suspect is acceptable to you. It's not something I want to see happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events