Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 06:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
but so many here are so gleeful at the man getting attacked for it, that;s what I don't get.
They are enjoying the sight of a bully getting his comeuppance, a sight which is unfortunately rare. Unfortunately verbal (as opposed to physical) bullies generally get away with their behavior (because most people have enough sense not to respond to the provocation).

Quote:
But you guys, as adults, do you actually go around with this attitude, that you'll punch out a stranger who insults you or offends you? I don't know many adults who act like this, that's all.
Most adults don't usually act like that (which is a good thing, or we wouldn't be living in a civilized society). But SOME do, and that should be common knowledge for anyone who's over the age of 10. And some people who are generally peaceful may "lose it" and respond physically if they are under an unusual amount of stress. Which is of course why the whole concept "don't insult strangers" arose in the first place: there's no way to know with certainty how a stranger is going to react to the provocation. It's simply dumb, risky behavior.

If someone pokes a sleeping animal with a stick and the animal turns and bites them, most of us aren't going to be sympathetic. We'll be even less sympathetic when the stick-wielder wails "But I didn't know it was a wolverine, I thought it was a rabbit I was poking!"

"Talk s**t, get hit." It's hardly surprising that when someone goes looking for trouble, they eventually find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,130,621 times
Quote:
No, but my point was that it is still seen as okay to shame smokers, but somehow people get much more offended when it's overweight people getting shamed than other groups, not sure why. I do not think personally anyone should be shamed about anything, especially because it just doesn't work in the slightest to change people's behavior...but so many here are so gleeful at the man getting attacked for it, that;s what I don't get. Should he have done it? No.

But you guys, as adults, do you actually go around with this attitude, that you'll punch out a stranger who insults you or offends you? I don't know many adults who act like this, that's all.
I think most of us would be so flabbergasted by this behavior that we'd be shocked into silence and think up about ten great reactions later. Me? I'm glad he got punched in the skull. I'm glad he wasn't seriously injured , but he had a fat lip coming.

I'm GenX , the last of the punks. You Millenials can sort it out when we are dead.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:08 PM

50,836 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
They are enjoying the sight of a bully getting his comeuppance, a sight which is unfortunately rare. Unfortunately verbal (as opposed to physical) bullies generally get away with their behavior (because most people have enough sense not to respond to the provocation).

Most adults don't usually act like that (which is a good thing, or we wouldn't be living in a civilized society). But SOME do, and that should be common knowledge for anyone who's over the age of 10. And some people who are generally peaceful may "lose it" and respond physically if they are under an unusual amount of stress. Which is of course why the whole concept "don't insult strangers" arose in the first place: there's no way to know with certainty how a stranger is going to react to the provocation. It's simply dumb, risky behavior.

If someone pokes a sleeping animal with a stick and the animal turns and bites them, most of us aren't going to be sympathetic. We'll be even less sympathetic when the stick-wielder wails "But I didn't know it was a wolverine, I thought it was a rabbit I was poking!"

"Talk s**t, get hit." It's hardly surprising that when someone goes looking for trouble, they eventually find it.
It;s not the woman and men in the incident I'm surprised about, all 3 of them are trash IMO. It's the many many HERE who approve of and admit approving of meeting a verbal insult with violence. Several also did say they'd do the same. One person said it'd be best if all parties were armed! It's crazy to me, and it scares me and makes me sad that so many people are so ready to abandon all the rules of a civilized society at the slightest provocation. It's like self-control has become an antiquated notion.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I guess fat shamming is the "in" thing now & that's really sad & discusting.
Being obese is sad and disgusting. America needs fat shaming, though it's a shame it's too late and the fattening of America is past the point of no return.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:12 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times
Quote:
It's crazy to me, and it scares me and makes me sad that so many people are so ready to abandon all the rules of a civilized society at the slightest provocation.
A truly civilized society no more condones verbal abuse than it does physical abuse. I think that's the point you are missing. The fact that we have so many rude jerks running around who think it's perfectly fine to heap insults on random strangers shows we are NOT in fact civilized.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:38 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,792,061 times
Good to see a little street justice at work. Guy probably went through his entire life without a good ass-kicking. Made now he will be humbled a little.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 PM

96 posts, read 75,070 times
Regardless of the reason- "fat shaming", bad driving, mocking a handicap, whatever the reason someone crosses the line with a stranger-they should be prepared to get checked. The saying goes, don't let your mouth write checks your a$$ can't cash. Something tells me a 50 year old patron at Little Cesar's isn't exactly in a position to call anyone else out on their health and eating intentions, too bad the article didnt have a photo of this dip.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:38 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,715 times
Good for the man who punched the fat-shamer!

The fat-shamer is a jerk who needs to mind his OFB.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,664,827 times
Both assaulters should be arrested.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:35 AM

50,836 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
A truly civilized society no more condones verbal abuse than it does physical abuse. I think that's the point you are missing. The fact that we have so many rude jerks running around who think it's perfectly fine to heap insults on random strangers shows we are NOT in fact civilized.
I DO understand that, again I am not on this guy's side...so are you saying your own personal code of conduct is that malleable that your actions depend on everyone else behaving well? If so, it's not much of a personal code of conduct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events