Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 10:34 AM

50,847 posts, read 36,551,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yep, and that's exactly the response people like this 50 year old jerk are counting on. That's precisely the reason he felt free to say what he did. He no doubt thought the woman and her son would flee the restaurant, or ignore him, or at worst perhaps say a sharp word in response. So why not indulge himself and be an a-hole?

He'd never for one minute have even CONSIDERED acting so rudely if he'd thought he might face a real, personally painful consequence to himself as a result of his smart-a$$ remark.

That's what ocnjgirl doesn't seem to understand. Most people are civilized enough that they hold their tongue around strangers because they have no desire to inflict gratuitous emotional pain on a person they don't even know. But bullies AREN"T civilized, and when a grown person is conducting himself like a five year old, sometimes a playground-level response is exactly what's needed to push them back in line.
I do understand, I just don't agree. Just because someone else chooses to be a mud-dweller piece of trash doesn't mean I have to join them in the mud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:04 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do understand, I just don't agree. Just because someone else chooses to be a mud-dweller piece of trash doesn't mean I have to join them in the mud.
You'll have no choice but to join them in the mud - because they'll bring their mud everywhere they go and throw it about with abandon, until pretty much every public place is mud-strewn. Don't like mud? Too bad, so sad, you'll just have to put up with it (or stay home).

NVplumber makes a good point in his post with this phrase:

Quote:
BUT..(big but..no pun intended) , needed and deserving of, the Law doth not recognize.
And that's a problem, and explains a lot about our society (especially why the internet in general is such a foul place). When people know there's no legal way to hold them accountable for their antisocial actions, a certain percentage of people see no reason to refrain from engaging in those actions. They need consequences, REAL consequences, in order to make them behave. And right now we don't have any in place.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:15 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,835 times
First of all, the insulter deserved to get the %$# beat out of him. I do agree a crowbar would have been too much, though...

That being said, my understanding is that if the person who did the beat-down (the son) was/is caught, he probably would be charged with assault (that is, if the insulter chose to press charges). If someone verbally insults you in public/private & if you take offense to this, you're not allowed to give them a beat-down. You are allowed to defend yourself if someone attacks you, but that's not what happened here.

That all being said, I'm glad the son didn't get in trouble (yet) - since he was just standing up for his Mom. And, if somehow the son had gotten caught in this case, I would hope that the circumstances (i.e., his Mom being insulted) would be taken into account - since I don't think he should get in trouble because of this...

Old 06-17-2015, 12:20 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,172,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Who carries a crowbar in their car!?!
Perhaps the reporter misspelled candy bar. She was going back to her car to get a candy bar.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:48 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,716 times
A baby boomer Californian man telling others his unsolicited opinion, I'm so surprised <sarcasm>. He was being overtly antagonistic and his whole goal that day was to become a victim by being an antagonistic dick. He knew no matter what he said the only time criminal charges can be brought against someone is a physical assault.

He got what he wanted and he deserved it. I'm glad it the treat was over the top. His behavior initially was over the top. I don't understand why people cant live and let live. Just worry about yourself.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:43 PM

9,472 posts, read 10,816,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
A baby boomer Californian man telling others his unsolicited opinion, I'm so surprised <sarcasm>. He was being overtly antagonistic and his whole goal that day was to become a victim by being an antagonistic dick. He knew no matter what he said the only time criminal charges can be brought against someone is a physical assault.

He got what he wanted and he deserved it. I'm glad it the treat was over the top. His behavior initially was over the top. I don't understand why people cant live and let live. Just worry about yourself.

The sad thing is the man who punched this lowlife is now a criminal. Thirty years ago this incident would not involve major charges or a serious record, even though fighting has always been against the law. Today the consequences will end up being much more severe, they will throw the book at him. The nanny state does not permit standing up for the women of your family if it involves punching some lowlife in the nose. Heck we now give high school boys criminal records for this. This is not 1980, and sadly the dirtbag wins here.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:03 PM

890 posts, read 884,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The sad thing is the man who punched this lowlife is now a criminal. Thirty years ago this incident would not involve major charges or a serious record, even though fighting has always been against the law. Today the consequences will end up being much more severe, they will throw the book at him. The nanny state does not permit standing up for the women of your family if it involves punching some lowlife in the nose. Heck we now give high school boys criminal records for this. This is not 1980, and sadly the dirtbag wins here.
As the loudmouth provoked it, it will be viewed as mutually agreeable combat. No legal charges, but maybe a lawsuit.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:19 PM

862 posts, read 1,198,498 times
While I understand that this incident is "news" but on the other hand I don't see why it is since here in Denver I have seen this sort of thing ( minus the violence of course ) take place for a number of years now. For example my next door neighbor runs a cigar lounge/shop. Over the years he had his share of people especially young people bursting into his store screaming about lung cancer. Last month at a Sam's Club in Aurora, Colorado I myself saw an older woman buying a carton of Marlboro Reds only for some 20 something female who was behind yelling at her for "not caring about your health". The older woman cussed her out as did the young woman who didn't want her to buy cigarettes.

Just a few days ago I was at a Safeway buying a 12 pack of Diet Coke. Some young woman who was a sales rep for Rockstar energy drinks kept following me around the store demanding that I put back that Diet Coke back on the shelf and buy Rockstar for the sake of good health...whatever !!! I had to end up getting the manager involved...oh BTW she kept mentioning radio talk show host Bill Cunningham too since he says that she is paying for my health care then I should do the right thing by buying Rockstar energy drinks and not Diet Coke for the sake of my health or so Bill says anyway.

I have a good vibe that unfortunately we will see more stories similar to this incident in California in the future.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You'll have no choice but to join them in the mud - because they'll bring their mud everywhere they go and throw it about with abandon, until pretty much every public place is mud-strewn. Don't like mud? Too bad, so sad, you'll just have to put up with it (or stay home).

NVplumber makes a good point in his post with this phrase:

And that's a problem, and explains a lot about our society (especially why the internet in general is such a foul place). When people know there's no legal way to hold them accountable for their antisocial actions, a certain percentage of people see no reason to refrain from engaging in those actions. They need consequences, REAL consequences, in order to make them behave. And right now we don't have any in place.
I have a different philosophy. Corny as it sounds, I believe the only way to counteract negative energy is with positive energy. There is enough hate in the world without me adding more to it. IMO, if I let haters make me into a hater too, they "won".

I also believe anyone who can make you lose control has power over you, and only by not allowing anything external to shake your core values and beliefs can you retain personal power. Look at the first sentence above "You have no choice". I believe the opposite, everything you do is a choice.

My last ex was the opposite of me. It seemed like where ever there was negative energy, he's absorb it like a sponge, let it ruin nights out together, ruin his relationship with co-workers, etc. Because he so often "took the bait", everyone had power over him. As a result he was almost 50 with a string of jobs, most of which he left on bad terms, and always someone else's fault in his opinion.

My philosophy is based on the question "Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?". I used to engage in stupid little "battles" when driving, if someone cut me off or something I would pass them, they'd pass me, etc. I was in the "right", however taking the bait and engaging with them in the mud did not make me feel better..it ruined the rest of my ride in most cases, long after they got off at their exit, I'd still be stewing about it. So I was right, but I wasn't happy. I felt ashamed and I knew I could be a better person than that. I want to be a better person than that. It makes me feel good when I take the high road.

My ex thought he'd be able to be happy when people around him stopped being a**holes. When he found a job where there wasn't some a**hole for a boss or co-worker or neighbor, then he'd be able to be happy. But there are always going to be a**holes, every where you go, almost without exception. If you can't be happy as long as they're around you, you'll never be happy.

Aside from that, when someone is trying to pi** you off, getting mad back actually gives them the attention they want, IMO nothing makes them madder than not letting them get to you.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-17-2015 at 07:28 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
He punched him multiple times, not just once, He is a criminal because he commited a criminal act. People should not be allowed to beat up someone who isn't physically threatening them, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events