Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:35 PM

546 posts, read 408,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I really do not understand how major corporations are convinced by liberal ad agencies to potentially alienate their customer base.
If the makers of Tylenol make a desirable product and continue with "traditional advertising", they will sell to everyone. I doubt very seriously a homosexual woman would need to see herself represented in the products advertising to buy a product that would stop discomfort.
Conversely, a heterosexual seeing that type of pandering will become annoyed/upset, and will then purposely avoid buying the product. Furthermore, homos only make us about 2-3 % of the population, so why pander to them and risk alienating the 90% of heteros who would buy their products?

`
Newsflash: Not all heterosexuals care what kind of families are portrayed in commercials. Some will actually make a decision to support a company they see as more inclusive. It doesn't make a difference to me one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 04:50 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
And that spot has what to do with Tylenol?

Memo to J&J: Instead of preaching to us by running PSAs that reflect the views of your employees, how about running commercials? You know, those things with a product tie-in.

BTW, Susan Sarandon (who's the voiceover in the propaganda), is one old liberal bird who'll never lack work in Hollyweird.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
Newsflash: Not all heterosexuals care what kind of families are portrayed in commercials. Some will actually make a decision to support a company they see as more inclusive. It doesn't make a difference to me one way or another.
Newsflash: While you are undoubtedly correct that some will not care, others in fact will care, and boycott them as a result.

Why any company in the business to increase profits would potentially alienate a portion of their customer base for PC reasons is beyond me.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Newsflash: While you are undoubtedly correct that some will not care, others in fact will care, and boycott them as a result.

Why any company in the business to increase profits would potentially alienate a portion of their customer base for PC reasons is beyond me.

Do remember that the whole issue was pretty well forced on the country. Many people who ordinarily wouldn't care are sick and tired of it.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:58 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
i saw it for the first time last night on CNN.
the interracial doesn't bother me at all, but the last scene
certainly did.. of course the two men were white, right ?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times
Okay, FIRST they crammed interracial relationships down our throats with that damned Cheerios commercial, NOW this?

This country is going to Hell in a hand-basket.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
[url=http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/tylenol-further-explores-changing-face-american-family-new-ad-165393]*Is this a sign a non-nuclear family is becoming the "norm". What do you think? Is the Tylenol commercial pioneering???
I think tylenol is jumping on the bandwagon. Nothing new. Soon commercials like these will be ubiquitous.

What I don't get is their need to make this commercial. Acetaminophen has existed since the dawn of time, and people have always used it. Having a commercial demonstrating non-nuclear families won't increase it's usership just b/c the brand Tylenol decided to put it in a 25 second ad (or whatever number of seconds exists)..

Nothing special...

NEXT!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I think tylenol is jumping on the bandwagon. Nothing new. Soon commercials like these will be ubiquitous.

What I don't get is their need to make this commercial. Acetaminophen has existed since the dawn of time, and people have always used it. Having a commercial demonstrating non-nuclear families won't increase it's usership just b/c the brand Tylenol decided to put it in a 25 second ad (or whatever number of seconds exists)..

Nothing special...

NEXT!

It's not a commercial--no way, no how. That's a fact.. It's an announcement , sponsored by Tylenol (J&J).

Old 07-21-2015, 05:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I find it odd that cereal companies and the makers of pain relief medicine feel it is their place or their duty to promote a social engineering agenda. At what level of these organizations are these efforts being directed from? Is there some sort of a connection between these companies at that level?
Did it ever occur to you that it is a smart marketing ploy to gain business from those groups being featured? It works when "traditional white" families are in the spotlight so why not spread it around a little?

TV commercials are EXPENSIVE - don't think Tylenol is throwing their money away without doing some research on public reaction.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:35 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
It is the free market at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events