Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 05:33 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Well, you already know the answer to your question.

If he were a non-Muslim minority, then he would be branded a "thug" or "criminal".

If he were a Muslim, then he would be branded (everyone say it with me) a "TERRORIST", of course.

However, since he is white male, then he will be branded a "crazy" or mentally unbalanced but not necessarily a criminal because "he would have to be crazy to commit such a horrible act".

Yeah, right.
Except he had been identified as having mental problems about ten years ago in his home state of Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
This hit close to home the Hospital my sister was born at is just down the street from the theatre, I don't know who is injured but my parents know 100's of people in the Community (coworkers and the Nigerian community there) there and hopefully nobody we know got hurt.
We are praying for the families of the beautiful city of Lafayette. You never think it will happen in a place like that. Lafayette is considered the only safe major city (compared to others) in Louisiana (Maybe Shreveport also)hopefully it won't tarnish the cities reputation.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:34 PM

105 posts, read 153,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Except he had been identified as having mental problems about ten years ago in his home state of Alabama.
All killers of innocent strangers are mentally ill. Correct me if I am wrong.
Does being mentally unstable preclude the right to gun ownership? if so can the government give people a test like a drivers test to qualify them as a gun owner?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:44 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
? You do realize that there are places like schools, stadiums, theaters, libraries, federal buildings, etc that are "gun free zones" correct? Its common knowledge you aren't allowed to carry firearms there correct?
I don't consider any of those places to be gun free zones, and I don't think that is common knowledge. I do however recognize airport terminals as being gun free zones, at least the parts inside the TSA lines. When was the last time we had a shooting in one of those places? Oh, um,... never. Gun free works. Put up signs does not.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:01 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Shooter was a self-identified Tea Partier who railed against Obama, taxes, and what he viewed as the decline of the US:

The Bitter Online Life of Lafayette Theater Shooter

No wonder Fox has barely covered the story, other than an occasional screen-crawler.
Another white conservative right-wing Christian terrorist. Why is Fox News not demanding that we do something to stop this terrorism? Why are we not doing anything to shut down these Christian churches that are breeding these terrorists? Thanks Bill O'Reilly for doing nothing to stop these terror attacks on American citizens.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah, youre right. I forgot humans are incapable of just be mean-spirited, hate filled, anger filled, and rageful. If you kill 10 people, you automatically have mental problems. No way in hell did you just kill 10 people because youre just a evil human being and dont care that your future would be effectively ruined.

I guess this means the Europeans that met the Natives were mentally ill too. And the lynchmobs, firebombers, arsonists, and hate killers during the Jim Crow days were mentally ill too. No way can someone be that evil. Hitler wasnt mean, he just had a brain tumor that supressed his cerebullum and caused him to go about the Holocaust. Castro, Bin Ladin...mentally challenged.

Yeah...yeah...so what about Adullazeez that just killed 4 in Chattanooga? Its not ISIS' fault right? Its his mental health? And I guess Dylan Roofs confession of "i just wanted to kill black people" was his hallucinations and the damage from his early Alzheimers talking, right? What if Mike Brown actually killed Wilson and 5 other cops? We'd be saying mentally ill and not "thug" right? Sureeee...

Spare me. Millions of Americans have mental health issues that range from benign to severe, and they live their daily lives without thinking of taking others lives. There has to be something truly twisted and evil in you. The guy that just commited these shootings went on anti-Obama rants and cried that America is dying and he "needed to do something about it." But yes, thats his mental health talking, not himself getting too deep and twisted into his political and social views. Only mentally handicapped men choose to see Trainwreck by themselves...

Stop giving these mass shooters excuses. The "hes ill, he was a good kid, he was lonely and bullied" excuses are so tired its not even funny. You know what else is funny? How people are so quick to cry mental illness, yet no one calls for mental health reform. Its guns, guns, guns. We need more guns. Not more pyschologists and health screenings, no, we need more guns.

Ok, and ok.
Send lawyers and money too.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
RIP to the victims. Still counting down until the "he had a mental illness" excuses arrive.
That turned out to be the problem. Not race. Not religion. And except for his fevered brain not politics.

As I have often posted, we need to watch how our neighbors and family neighbors are faring on a mental health basis. In this case, his ex-wife and other family members were watching. He was even involuntarily committed for a while. The sad fact is that certain mental illnesses both lead to violence (and/or misery for the ill person) and are incurable. For reasons of budget as well as political liberalism we have largely abolished long-term institutionalization. It is true that many of the state mental hospitals were "snake pits." Newsmen such as Geraldo Rivera in New York exposed those. Exposing conditions does not create wherewithal to resolve them.

The fact is that we need out state mental hospitals, with long-term institutionalization back. We should find ways, at the outset of a confinement, to separate the treatable from the untreatable, and deal with the person accordingly and humanely. But leaving innocents in the line of fire, to appease souls troubled by conditions at hospitals, is no solution.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Mental case or thug; which will it be?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
There's no stopping this.

It's been going on for almost 20 years years now. Crazy people, deranged people who can easily get guns taking their anger out on innocent people. This guy was straight up crazy from the info that's come out on him - his family knew it, everyone around him knew it. He tried to booby-trap his foreclosed house. How does someone get away with that?

It's just something we should be aware of when we go to the movies, when we go to school or whatever we do. I hope all of you are happy - conservatives for making sure that crazy people can get guns about as easily as they can buy candy and liberals for seeing to it that we don't give the mentally insane any treatment and just let them run around on a hair trigger (sometimes literally).

It's to the point that this is not even top news - it's a story of only moderate prominence. It's buried 6 or 7 stories down on both Fox News and the New York Times. Only CNN has it as top billing. This kind of thing will happen again, and again and again and again and will never, ever stop.

How many need to die in one sitting before we do anything? 2 in a theater is not enough. 12 in another theater is not enough. 9 in an AME church is not enough. 26 1st graders is not enough. I wonder what will be enough?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's just something we should be aware of when we go to the movies, when we go to school or whatever we do. I hope all of you are happy - conservatives for making sure that crazy people can get guns about as easily as they can buy candy and liberals for seeing to it that we don't give the mentally insane any treatment and just let them run around on a hair trigger (sometimes literally).
At least you damn both ideologies equally. But here's the question; how do you stop determined people from getting guns. Do you really think the average psychotic says to himself "I really ought to do this with some other method than a gun"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events