Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 12:07 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/us...-say.html?_r=0

What do you think? If this happens, I feel bad for those who truly need it to survive.
How about getting the cheaters off of SSDI instead? I know dozens of people on SSDI that are Physically OK but they draw it because they abuse Drugs or Alcohol and cannot or do not want to work. Make it Mandatory to Drug test to receive SSDI and get rid of the cheaters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
How about getting the cheaters off of SSDI instead? I know dozens of people on SSDI that are Physically OK but they draw it because they abuse Drugs or Alcohol and cannot or do not want to work. Make it Mandatory to Drug test to receive SSDI and get rid of the cheaters
You can't drug test when there are millions on SSDI due to chronic pain and physical issues. I do think it should have to be re-certified each year by a thorough medical exam, though.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Alcohol or drug abuse are not qualifying illnesses for SSDI. But sure, since you mention it -let's drug test everybody! Given the profound brilliance of our ideas I say we start with you

Old 07-26-2015, 12:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Alcohol or drug abuse are not qualifying illnesses for SSDI. But sure, since you mention it -let's drug test everybody! Given the profound brilliance of our ideas I say we start with you

12.09 from the SSDI list of disabilities says they are qualifying illnesses.

12.00-Mental Disorders-Adult
12.09 Substance addiction disorders: Behavioral changes or physical changes associated with the regular use of substances that affect the central nervous system.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
12.09 from the SSDI list of disabilities says they are qualifying illnesses.

12.00-Mental Disorders-Adult
12.09 Substance addiction disorders: Behavioral changes or physical changes associated with the regular use of substances that affect the central nervous system.
First, in 1996, the Social Security Act was amended to eliminate eligibility for disability benefits based on drug addiction and/or alcoholism. Prior to that date, individuals could get SSI or SSDI disability benefits if their alcoholism or drug addiction was so severe that it prevented them from working. Drug addiction or alcoholism itself can never legally justify the denial of disability benefits. The only question is whether there are reversible effects of the drug or alcohol use that should be eliminated from consideration in deciding whether someone's impairment is severe enough to warrant disability benefits. Irreversible damage from alcohol or drug use always counts toward the severity of an impairment. Put another way, disability can be granted even if an applicant's impairment was solely caused by drug or alcohol use, unless the impairment could be reversed by stopping the drug use. (And even then, Social Security may consider reversible drug- or alcohol-related limitations for some severe mental disabilities.)

Old 07-26-2015, 12:47 PM

Before you get the cheaters out you have to audit the program.
The government is reactive to fraud, not proactive.

The government acts when fraud is reported and then only if they have staff to investigate.

When Lifeline costs skyrocketed the FCC finally did an audit.
They found numerous flaws in the rules which had never been updated for cellphones.
They kicked more than 1/2 out of the program and saved over $1 billion a year.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Before you get the cheaters out you have to audit the program.
The government is reactive to fraud, not proactive.
nice Happy! You bought into disabled shaming, you believed all the blather on the internet about people abusing the system without researching it or questioning it.

And I'm guessing you are older, so I hope I am here when you start complaining about 'age shaming' because that is what is coming next.. you know, let's audit Old Age beneficiaries -you know something reasonable like prove that it was really you who worked in that gas station 50 years ago, heck maybe it was someone using your SSN! And let's drug and alcohol test you because we can't afford to give old age benefits to defective drug addled slackers.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
nice Happy! You bought into disabled shaming, you believed all the blather on the internet about people abusing the system without researching it or questioning it.

And I'm guessing you are older, so I hope I am here when you start complaining about 'age shaming' because that is what is coming next.. you know, let's audit Old Age beneficiaries -you know something reasonable like prove that it was really you who worked in that gas station 50 years ago, heck maybe it was someone using your SSN! And let's drug and alcohol test you because we can't afford to give old age benefits to defective drug addled slackers.
No, I believe the FedGov is too big to manage this.
And I believe that all programs that hand out money need annual audits to keep the system viable.

I'm not against these programs but they need to be managed properly.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,861 times
Default Social Security CUT

From what I understand Researching about the Cuts in SS, I have Found the amount of money per Month will NOT be cut, for it's there till 2030 (75% there on After) but it's the Medicare that will be cut by 20% or up to that amount. Medicare is SICK per the Medicare Trustes. In other words it's going BROKE. There is a simple solution though by raising those that do work and put into Medicare - raise it by 1.6 Percent somethng like that, it's NOT much but it will KEEP it a Float for a Very LONG time. Of course with Congress being so disfunctional they probabaly will NOT do the Simple thing.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Republicans really are such idiots. They want to cut things like this that truly benefit the needy in our society, but yet want to spend massive amounts of money on the military industrial complex, and fight tooth and nail against any tiny cut that is proposed to that side of things.
Sure there is some fraud in SSDI, but it miniscule in amount to what is flat out wasted in so many other areas- such as military.

We need to keep our money for ourselves, helping our own people- sure iron out the fraud issues that do exist, but bump UP the budget for this and other programs to help our own people, while cutting money that goes to absolutely worthless things like blowing up 3rd world countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events