Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:59 PM

148 posts, read 132,063 times

Advertisements

I get food stamps, and I

It is an interesting read, and can always add some valuable perspective on those who use welfare. People abuse food stamps, but alot more use it properly like Christine. As a matter of fact, few people abuse Snaps compared to those who abuse it, and it usage is actually declining. The extra links are to add some more perspective on the issue of food stamps In this country, so it can be better understood.

Food-Stamp Use Starting to Fall - WSJ

Facts Show Little SNAP Food Stamp Fraud or Abuse - US News

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/us...d-economy.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 05:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Would be interesting to know more of her details. She went to college but never made more than $11/hr.
Kids? How many did she choose to have and why no child support from the babies daddies.
Child support expensive? Sounds like she has maybe 2 older kids.

Doesn't sound like she's abusing the system. That should not be a problem.
Bad choices in life? Probably but we all make a few.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would be interesting to know more of her details. She went to college but never made more than $11/hr.
Kids? How many did she choose to have and why no child support from the babies daddies.

I'm afraid all that there is can be found in the article at the top.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

It sounds like she lives in the middle of rural Missouri, can't imagine there are many well paying jobs, or really many jobs there. It also sounds like she has family in town as she is renting from her grandparents.

She is making more than minimum wage. But it sounds like she is in the service sector roles where getting paid well is hard to do. And I can imagine how it would be difficult to be a retail manger with young children. She also mentioned that at some point, her ex husband was unemployed. It looks like she is in a place with few options.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:57 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
So, the woman is angry because the "system" does not value her "skills", which has to do with low paying kitchen work even after her "college" education? And, even as she has never had anything but poor paying jobs in her life, she still had "kids" (multiple) with no partner support, and she is angry at the "system" for keeping her poor? What happened to owning one's personal choice? If you want the freedom of personal choice, then you should not be angry when personal choice yields bad results.

She shouldn't be angry. She should be grateful that there are social welfare programs that exist for her and her kids, despite her very poor and personal life choices.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:10 PM

755 posts, read 675,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
So, the woman is angry because the "system" does not value her "skills", which has to do with low paying kitchen work even after her "college" education? And, even as she has never had anything but poor paying jobs in her life, she still had "kids" (multiple) with no partner support, and she is angry at the "system" for keeping her poor? What happened to owning one's personal choice? If you want the freedom of personal choice, then you should not be angry when personal choice yields bad results.

She shouldn't be angry. She should be grateful that there are social welfare programs that exist for her and her kids, despite her very poor and personal life choices.
I think she wants us to know that she needs/deserves assistance and should not be looked down upon as if she is some kind of social leach. That's cool and all, but there are some people who are abusing the system and most people are denouncing them, not her, and I am sure she has to know that by now.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:13 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
I didn't see one thing I disagreed with in her rant.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I think she wants us to know that she needs/deserves assistance and should not be looked down upon as if she is some kind of social leach. That's cool and all, but there are some people who are abusing the system and most people are denouncing them, not her, and I am sure she has to know that by now.
The problem is alot of people don't know the difference or care to differentiate. They assume the worst and go off that.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Except there is no way for anyone, standing in the grocery store checkout line, to tell who is abusing the system and who is not, but the judgement call is made anyway. It's demeaning and unnecessary.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Except there is no way for anyone, standing in the grocery store checkout line, to tell who is abusing the system and who is not, but the judgement call is made anyway. It's demeaning and unnecessary.
Yup. Sometimes people in the line are buying for their parents, a group home that they work at, or maybe they pinched pennies all month and used coupons knowing that the lobster dinner was likely grandpa's last meal.

No one likes scammers, but we can't judge people without knowing them. It's not like there is a labor shortage out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events