Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:13 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Christine needs to stop thinking about what other people think about her/other food stamp recipients, and live her life. But it seems to me that the true source of her anger might be the fact that she made some poor life decisions, not the fact that others may look down on food stamp use.
I didn't get that sense from the article in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Single mothers often cannot move unless they give custody over to the non-custodial father, even if that NC father is just a deadbeat and didn't have anything to do with the child. It depends upon the circumstances and if there's a court order and what the court order says.

The best circumstance if you're a single mother needing to move is if there is no court order and the bio-father is out of the picture.

If you had been married to the father then there's usually divorce/custody papers involved and the father could be completely out of the child's life and the mother still has to get his permission or the court's permission to move elsewhere. It's really hard to get the court's permission to move. They'll tend to reverse custody first. Not very many mothers want to risk losing their babies/children like that. This is often a huge reason why so many single mothers do not move to a better location. Legal matters practically chain many to an impoverished area.
A couple of girls I went to high school with had the problem where the dad would not let them move out of state. One girl ended up working at Wal-Mart and some other dead end jobs because she couldn't find a job using her degree in-state. It was another situation where casual sex ended up dictating someone's life.

I've always believed that WIC like approach would be best for food stamps. The money should be used toward basic food staples. WIC tends to be more protein based. Food stamps should cover things like flour, sugar, spices, raw meat, canned, fresh, or frozen vegetables and less prepackaged food. Gourmet candies, I know some people think people on welfare should be entitled to whatever people not on welfare have in the way of variety, but that system is not working. My understanding of welfare is that it was meant as a hand up, not a hand out.

The government would do better to put together some basic food recipes and to offer cooking classes on how to cook basic foods. It's the teaching a man/woman to fish rather than giving him/her fish principle.

We don't enough about this woman to know why she periodically needs welfare. If she doesn't think she is abusing the system, she probably needs to develop a thicker skin.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 AM

148 posts, read 131,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Taking welfare/foodstamps/snap, etc is taking from someone else who actually worked to earn that money. I don't care if that woman laid with worthless men to pop out bastard babies with no consideration for the consequences. She "deserves" nothing even though she demands the public provide financial support for her bad decisions in life.

So if she takes from the public, then there should be no expectations that she won't be criticized for it as well. If she was a real mom, she'd find the worthless "fathers" and make them support their children instead of dumping it on the rest of us.

I have no issue with providing assistance to those who truly need it, i.e. the elderly, the truly disabled, etc., but no able bodied, working age adult should be on assistance. Period.
Why do you consistently post... vitriol. You seem detached from any ounce of sympathy, empathy or understanding of an opposite view in anything you post. I have never seen you post anything insightful in my eyes.

Last edited by smart-dumb-kid; 07-26-2015 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: To harsh initially. Changing wording to not be as rude.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:41 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've always believed that WIC like approach would be best for food stamps. The money should be used toward basic food staples. WIC tends to be more protein based. Food stamps should cover things like flour, sugar, spices, raw meat, canned, fresh, or frozen vegetables and less prepackaged food. Gourmet candies, I know some people think people on welfare should be entitled to whatever people not on welfare have in the way of variety, but that system is not working. My understanding of welfare is that it was meant as a hand up, not a hand out.
As someone who has managed a grocery store, I absolutely believe that the list of items purchasable via food stamps needs major work. I used to see women come in with a small army of ill-behaved, unwashed children, buy them energy drinks and sugary snacks with her public access card, and then pay cash for tobacco and booze. It also has always struck me odd that taxpayer funds can be applied towards Red Bull and Krispy Kremes but not Zest and Colgate.

In any case, many items that are purchasable (but probably shouldn't be) are left unregulated at the behest of powerful corporate interests. I often wonder whether or not people actually understand what food stamps really are, because they have very little to do with helping the poor.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:50 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Taking welfare/foodstamps/snap, etc is taking from someone else who actually worked to earn that money. I don't care if that woman laid with worthless men to pop out bastard babies with no consideration for the consequences. She "deserves" nothing even though she demands the public provide financial support for her bad decisions in life.

So if she takes from the public, then there should be no expectations that she won't be criticized for it as well. If she was a real mom, she'd find the worthless "fathers" and make them support their children instead of dumping it on the rest of us.

I have no issue with providing assistance to those who truly need it, i.e. the elderly, the truly disabled, etc., but no able bodied, working age adult should be on assistance. Period.
Not true, just look at the federal "debt" and deficit. Americans dont pay sticker price for their government and food stamps. Also, being able bodied means squat under the system where you have no right to exist, no right to work, no right to provide for your substinence, no right to occupy space. The only right you have is to attempt to sell your wage slaving arse, but there is no guarantee they will be buying.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 AM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
With all the billions we spend around the globe for useless military campaigns, not to mention the billions in equipment we leave in foreign places for our enemies to use when we leave because it costs too much to ship it home, we should take those billions instead and invest in more social programs here at home....just saying...no one would get their taxes increased from what they already are and millions of Americans would have the benefits of the money instead..

There is no stigma that should be placed on anyone using the food stamp program at all..

Old 07-26-2015, 11:58 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
Why do you consistently post... vitriol. You seem detached from any ounce of sympathy, empathy or understanding of an opposite view in anything you post. I have never seen you post anything insightful in my eyes.
It's more insightful than the post your post. Instead of logically addressing what I said, you instead resort to insult and emotion. i.e. Vitriol. Get back to us when you can actually defend yourself.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Not true, just look at the federal "debt" and deficit. Americans dont pay sticker price for their government and food stamps. Also, being able bodied means squat under the system where you have no right to exist, no right to work, no right to provide for your substinence, no right to occupy space. The only right you have is to attempt to sell your wage slaving arse, but there is no guarantee they will be buying.
Oh yes they do. When the government uses "debt" to pay it, then taxes (for the interest) and inflation go up. Nothing is free dear and you can't make it free by printing more money.

I do agree with you as to the rest. Your life and decisions are your responsibility, not the taxpayers. Though if someone views themselves as a slave, then that is all they will ever accomplish in life.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:03 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
So, the woman is angry because the "system" does not value her "skills", which has to do with low paying kitchen work even after her "college" education? And, even as she has never had anything but poor paying jobs in her life, she still had "kids" (multiple) with no partner support, and she is angry at the "system" for keeping her poor? What happened to owning one's personal choice? If you want the freedom of personal choice, then you should not be angry when personal choice yields bad results.

She shouldn't be angry. She should be grateful that there are social welfare programs that exist for her and her kids, despite her very poor and personal life choices.
She should be very angry. The parasites and corporations have totally sold out the American people.

The fact that many college educated Americans can't find jobs that pay enough to feed themselves and their childen is a national disgrace.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:04 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Some posters reminded me about a lady pharmacist constantly beatching about medicare/medicade freeloaders having entitlement mentality and attitude she must suffer through. She is totally fixated on welfare, she "knows" who deserves it and who's not. That's amazing fixation considering that medicaid paid for her two bastard children, as well a major bancruptcy she filed (at least 10 years worth of foodstamps for a family of 4). In her mind she deserved all of that, she is an important person now, she dispenses pills at a pharmacy, she works unlike those freeloaders she deals with. In fact, the only difference between her and those freeloaders is her pharmacist compensation. Exactly the same woman, making exactly the same decisions on.$12/ hr would be in worse shape than the proud food stamp recipient we talk about.

Btw, I dislike vocal entitlement attitude, even if you "deserve" help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events