Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 10:47 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but being unable to work and having to wait years for a disability decision does not make me ashamed of having to use an EBT card, especially after I paid into the system for 35 years of full time employment. And if you could find a job in under 6 months in 2008/2009, more power to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:53 PM

148 posts, read 132,174 times
I never new just how many people lives was touched and positively benefited by public assistance... My hearts goes out to you guys!

Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Once I saw that she linked to THIS article, I knew it was over with:
A Missouri Republican wants to stop people from buying steak or seafood with food stamps - Vox

No, I don't think there is anything wrong with food stamps when they are used appropriately. It is not OK when you have been on them for 16 years, off and on. That is more than enough time to get your mess together. It is also not OK for you to think you are entitled to have steaks, lobster tails and Red Bulls bought for you on the taxpayer's dime. If you can't make it off of beef, chicken, fruit, vegetables, rice, pasta, etc., then you obviously aren't so hungry that you need someone else to pay for your groceries.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastie View Post
By the way, not every person on a government assistance program is a woman, you know....
The topic is about a woman.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
It's still judgmental when you add in the whole "those who truly need it" . Who gets to decide that?

Everyone gets mad at the people unjustly recieveing welfare. If they don't "deserve" it then why are they approved for it?

Shouldn't this anger be directed at the state and federal agencies that administer and monitor the programs? They're the ones who keep letting welfare queens sign up.
You confuse disgust with anger. Two different things. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being judgmental, as you put it, in this case. When people are paying taxes to support these deadbeats, then they are entitled to judge it however they please.

It's true that people are approved for welfare. It doesn't mean they "deserve" it. The system is broken. When the day comes and these people are tossed off the welfare roles, whether they deserve it or not doesn't change.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
What do you suggest we do to feed children in this country? These women with kids who's father's aren't in the picture, those benefits aren't for them, they are MEANT for her children, she gets control of them because she is the "adult" . Which even I'll admit is not a system that is working.

Given the technological advances with EBT cards if they are able to weed out hot/prepared food and non food items it shouldn't be hard to further restrict the purchases.

Consult the FDA and create a program where for each age of a child there is a nutritionally balanced food list, include recipes with it. Hell, give them a detailed monthly meal plan.

That's what can be bought with the SNAP benefits. Similar to WIC.

Yes the system has massive flaws and unfortunately a lot of parents aren't responsible with their benefits. But I just can't agree to kill the program with no plan for how to still feed the children those benefits are meant for.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:33 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Typical person using an EBT card in line at the grocery store near where I live:

Chatting on a $500 cell phone.

Has $1,500-2,000 in tattoo work on arms and other visible areas.

Mentions their 'vacation' while chatting on the phone.

Has piles of stuff like pizzas, snacks & assorted crap. Rarely any vegetables or things that require effort to prepare.

Acts like royalty, oblivious to the fact they eat for free. EBT - Eatin' Better Today.

Leaves and gets in a new Acura, BMW or Toyota FJ

Old 07-27-2015, 03:40 AM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
I stated the facts from 1st hand knowledge as relates to a family member & what I know & witnessed back in the day. Personally witnessed. Read & understand what I said before trying to use me to spout the standard political rhetoric. This wasn't from TV or any stereotypes. And it didn't include everyone on government/taxpayer aid.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:47 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Typical person using an EBT card in line at the grocery store near where I live:

Acts like royalty, oblivious to the fact they eat for free. EBT - Eatin' Better Today.

Reminds me of the time my wife was let go from her job for a few months. We went to apply for unemployment. This was during the real height of the unemployment mess about five or so years ago. My wife didn't want to do it, and we really didn't have "need" for it, but I told her we have every right to obtain that money like everyone else. So I went with her to the office and of the 20 or so people in line, I count no less than seven or so designer handbags.

I tell people that story and of course the pro-state welfare crowd always chimes in with how they were all likely knock-off bags. It is possible, but unlikely. It would actually be more likely that some were stolen and given as gifts or purchased for cheap (the person likely having a good idea the bag was stolen) than for them to be fake. Of course you do see the most current cell phones being used, fancy nails (not just basic nice looking nails), designer clothing, etc.. I don't think everyone should sell everything if they are unemployed, but the fact remains that when people complain about lack of income, lack of savings, for most their spending choices are the problem.

My wife and I are fairly frugal spenders. We didn't even get smart phones really until the i-Phone 4 was free with a contract. We don't eat out a lot and designer clothing is always purchased with some sort of discounts/rewards. My wife gets a new purse every two years, something decent enough from Amazon or Kohls, for about $30.00. If she wanted a $100 designer purse, sure I wouldn't care if she got one, but I would expect that to be something that is used on special occasions, not a daily purse that will need to be replaced within a year or so.

All this reliance on the welfare state and not making good choices will eventually destroy this country. Technically we are broke, but we just pretend along with the other countries of the world that our debt is manageable.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

Has piles of stuff like pizzas, snacks & assorted crap. Rarely any vegetables or things that require effort to prepare.

Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events