Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:40 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,609 times

Advertisements

All I can say to this gal (and she will never see this thread) is to grow a thicker skin and let other people's attitudes roll off your back.

It also sounds like she has had quite a few employers in her career thus far which doesn't look good on a resume. There may be good reasons for so much job hopping but if she could get with an employer that offers a career path to the management level, her income would likely improve, too. Of course, if she does that her benefits will drop off or stop altogether. So she has to decide which she wants and let criiticism from others roll off her back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 PM

110 posts, read 163,916 times
I am one of the evil people that make judgments in the grocery checkout line. Wasn't always like that but at one point was working 50-60 hrs a week at a job I hated. My husband (self employed) was working 7 days a week. Did we do this for grand vacations and sports cars? No, majority of it was done to pay income and property taxes.

This is my experience in four different stores in two counties. Every time I would go to the grocery store I would see the same scenario: Pregnant female with 2-3 kids in tow and a toddler in the cart. They always had expensive meats, cheeses and non-generic items which was all paid for with a combination of WIC, EBT and big old wads of CASH they would pull out of their designer purses with their manacured nails while making sure they didn't knock their BMW keys on the floor.

HA! Boy would I feel stupid. Dead on my feet, working my a$$ off to follow the rules and all so someone else could reap greater rewards in cheating the system. There were way too many of them for me to try to tell myself this was just a rare occurrence. Did I judge them? Damn right I did. At the minimum I earned the right to do that.

I will say that since leaving Northern California, I have not witnessed the same scenario. I think some states make taking the forced offering of others to easy and inviting.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I'm going to assume your friend was not psychic and did not know she would soon be re-employed. IMO the prudent thing to do would have been stocking up on non-perishable staples, and waiting for steak and salmon to celebrate the new job.

That's not being judgemental, just sensible.
She had like $200 to use up, and she is a single person. She had plenty of staples and still had lots of money to use up after getting the staples. So she moved on to more expensive stuff. Of course, here you assumed she didn't buy "sensible" stuff. $100 buys easily 3-4 months worth of staples for a single person.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterlyHopeful View Post
I am one of the evil people that make judgments in the grocery checkout line. Wasn't always like that but at one point was working 50-60 hrs a week at a job I hated. My husband (self employed) was working 7 days a week. Did we do this for grand vacations and sports cars? No, majority of it was done to pay income and property taxes.

This is my experience in four different stores in two counties. Every time I would go to the grocery store I would see the same scenario: Pregnant female with 2-3 kids in tow and a toddler in the cart. They always had expensive meats, cheeses and non-generic items which was all paid for with a combination of WIC, EBT and big old wads of CASH they would pull out of their designer purses with their manacured nails while making sure they didn't knock their BMW keys on the floor.

HA! Boy would I feel stupid. Dead on my feet, working my a$$ off to follow the rules and all so someone else could reap greater rewards in cheating the system. There were way too many of them for me to try to tell myself this was just a rare occurrence. Did I judge them? Damn right I did. At the minimum I earned the right to do that.

I will say that since leaving Northern California, I have not witnessed the same scenario. I think some states make taking the forced offering of others to easy and inviting.
No, I don't think that is the case. But northern california is one place where housing costs are ridiculous, that it is quite easy to go from doing well to starving. Especially if that was around 2008. I have me a lot of people who went from BMWs to minimum wage in the great recession (and the dotcom bust).

Old 07-26-2015, 03:29 AM

110 posts, read 163,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No, I don't think that is the case. But northern california is one place where housing costs are ridiculous, that it is quite easy to go from doing well to starving. Especially if that was around 2008. I have me a lot of people who went from BMWs to minimum wage in the great recession (and the dotcom bust).
This all occurred up until I left one year ago.

I, too, have friends that were in the same situation. They were on unemployment, stopped looking for a job and would work part time/when they felt like it for cash.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:02 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
People always feel entitled. They think, that If for any reason they can not make it on their own, the government is obligated to support them.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:18 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Taking welfare/foodstamps/snap, etc is taking from someone else who actually worked to earn that money. I don't care if that woman laid with worthless men to pop out bastard babies with no consideration for the consequences. She "deserves" nothing even though she demands the public provide financial support for her bad decisions in life.

So if she takes from the public, then there should be no expectations that she won't be criticized for it as well. If she was a real mom, she'd find the worthless "fathers" and make them support their children instead of dumping it on the rest of us.

I have no issue with providing assistance to those who truly need it, i.e. the elderly, the truly disabled, etc., but no able bodied, working age adult should be on assistance. Period.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I support the existence of food stamps tho I want them to operate under the WIC standards. I do however think shame for using food stamps is entirely appropriate. You are afterall taking money out of your neighbors pocket. Your neighbor has bills, dreams, and financial goals too.
I think Wall Street, the military, and our politicians are taking more money out of your pocket than a single mom on food stamps is.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:05 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
I support FOOD STAMPS, I know people who have been on them. But what gets me are the people who abuse it knowing there are people who wouldn't abuse it that actually needs it!!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:08 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Christine needs to stop thinking about what other people think about her/other food stamp recipients, and live her life. But it seems to me that the true source of her anger might be the fact that she made some poor life decisions, not the fact that others may look down on food stamp use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events