Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:14 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I was behind a woman who STOPPED in the left lane of a highway for a couple of Canada Geese. The height of stupidity!
A couple of Canada geese would do a number on your car if you hit them at freeway speed, could conceivably kill you either blasting through the windshield or causing you to loose control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 08:16 PM

8,116 posts, read 6,806,339 times
I used to get a kick out of a sign on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn that read "Wildlife Crossing". Like I'm going to have a chance to stop while doing the speed limit with guys up my butt and others doing 80 on my sides.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:54 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,119,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I can understand the feelings of swerving drivers, but yes run over the animals or risk killing yourself or other drivers on the road.

Motorists told not to stop for ducks crossing freeway | GrindTV.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kNIkNCmNjs
What a bunch of quacks...

Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 PM

4,855 posts, read 5,861,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Sorry but I'll be stopping for the ducks so keep your eyes open for those behind me.
You're going to stop on an expressway for some animals, on an expressway where people do thrice the speed limit. I would hit you on purpose. I'd rathef run them over, than risk my life, vehicle, insurance, and that of others. Apparently you don't understand the physics of any vehicle at all. Nothing but insanity not to mentions peoples idiotic foot through the floor braking technique.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,321,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
You're going to stop on an expressway for some animals, on an expressway where people do thrice the speed limit. I would hit you on purpose. I'd rathef run them over, than risk my life, vehicle, insurance, and that of others. Apparently you don't understand the physics of any vehicle at all. Nothing but insanity not to mentions peoples idiotic foot through the floor braking technique.
And be dead.

A 5,000 lbs vehicle going at 75 mph is very deadly.

Better hit a duck than being hit by a truck... hey I just came up with a song !

Old 07-26-2015, 10:55 PM

3,654 posts, read 4,539,305 times
Anyone who stops or violently swerves like that from 75+mph for a couple ducks is an absolute moron. A lot of you don't need to have licenses :/ Ducks are cute and all, but it's just a freaking duck. You'll get over it. However...if you stop and get rear ended by a semi that's moving at 65mph you might not get over it so quickly :/ For a duck...stupid, stupid, STUPID

Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 PM

3,654 posts, read 4,539,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
So what size animal should I stop for? Run over a family of ducks but jamb on my brakes for a cow, deer, boar? How about medium size animals? Run over them or stop for a raccoon, possum. How about the small stuff, Turtle, squirrel? In my area there's always a flock of vultures chowing down on road kill. Just drive over them?
What kind of a useless post was this?? Hitting 4 or 5 baby ducks isn't going to kill you or other drivers, but hitting a freaking cow or boar certainly could. Your post is just random drivel.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:09 PM

431 posts, read 452,321 times
Doesn't everyone learn this in driver's ed? For safety reasons you're supposed to run over pretty much any animal besides a moose.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:15 PM

191 posts, read 215,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
So what size animal should I stop for? Run over a family of ducks but jamb on my brakes for a cow, deer, boar? How about medium size animals? Run over them or stop for a raccoon, possum. How about the small stuff, Turtle, squirrel? In my area there's always a flock of vultures chowing down on road kill. Just drive over them?
Actually, there is a hierarchy of mammal types to be considered.

The worst type collision would be with a horse or elk or moose; large animals with legs long enough to roll the carcass into your passenger compartment.

Next would be cattle; still massive but probably low enough to the ground that your auto will take the blow, rather than your passengers.

Next down would be deer or goats or sheep or large dogs; not quite so much mass as the earlier types.

Then comes furbearers like big coons or bobcats and maybe large birds like turkeys or geese or maybe buzzards, and so on down the line

Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 PM

13,583 posts, read 7,548,100 times
I know someone who hit a large dog at 70 mph it about totaled his car his airbags deployed. It rammed his front end in so bad the uni-body was bent. The dog was estimated weight of about 70 lbs. He was driving a sports car don't remember the model or make was years ago. I know he said he radiator burst and shot antifreeze all over his window he had a tough time seeing to pull over with all the steam and dried green radiator fluid. He said he almost lost control and roll it he spun out trying to over correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events