U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:01 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,667 times
Reputation: 13
Default Moving to Phoenix soon, trying to get my ducks in a row. They're not cooperating. Stupid ducks.

I'm moving to Phoenix from Kansas City somewhere around Jan 10th. I am looking for a temporary place to live when I get there, until I figure out where I really WANT to live. I don't have a job there, don't know anyone there... just need a change (and stuff to do outside. and NO WINTER). I was there in late June to scope it out, and LOVED it. I've had a residential cleaning business here for 15 years and hope to establish one there eventually, but until then I'm willing to do temp work or whatever it takes to keep my head above water. Seems like from what I've seen, the 'east valley' is where I would ideally like to be, but would be willing to be farther northwest or southeast if it were CLEAN and SAFE. I would love input from some 'locals' about where to live, and more importantly, where NOT to live. I have some savings, but looking for $500-$600/mo or so for starters. Don't want a roommate, wish to start my new adventure on my own! I will also be looking for climbing partners, can anyone hook me up with the friendliest climbing club in Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:16 PM
 
1,013 posts, read 1,475,028 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbarbie View Post
I'm moving to Phoenix from Kansas City somewhere around Jan 10th. I am looking for a temporary place to live when I get there, until I figure out where I really WANT to live. I don't have a job there, don't know anyone there... just need a change (and stuff to do outside. and NO WINTER). I was there in late June to scope it out, and LOVED it. I've had a residential cleaning business here for 15 years and hope to establish one there eventually, but until then I'm willing to do temp work or whatever it takes to keep my head above water. Seems like from what I've seen, the 'east valley' is where I would ideally like to be, but would be willing to be farther northwest or southeast if it were CLEAN and SAFE. I would love input from some 'locals' about where to live, and more importantly, where NOT to live. I have some savings, but looking for $500-$600/mo or so for starters. Don't want a roommate, wish to start my new adventure on my own! I will also be looking for climbing partners, can anyone hook me up with the friendliest climbing club in Phoenix?
Please. Please. I cant beg you enough. Stay in Missouri until you get a job lined up. AZ is in awful shape for employment opportunties. The unemployment rate here is barely below 10% and there are many people here who are qualified and cant find work. AZ is overstaurated with people anyways. AZ was not 'designed' to be an urban center, just an empty worthless desert. In fact the local media here is saying the local economy wont turn aorund for several years, and that Phoenix has the 4th worst job market in the country, and how AZ will be among the last states to recover from the recession. The only jobs here, even in good time, are very low-paying service industries that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future. I have been unemployed for many months and cant find work and have agreat education and plenty of qualifications. Do you know how many people come here and think like you, and then go home when things dont work out?? About 90-percent. I am among them. And God forbid if you lose your job here, because AX ranks 49th in unemployment benefits compensation. And the social services here are a joke. With that in mind, your money, esp[ecially not having a job will run out in a very very short time. PLEASE PLEASE think about it ahead of time two, three or four times. You could be making a big mistake. Or at least wait til the economy rebounds. AZ is no better than the rest of the country; its actually worse. That is a fact. Staying in MO is in your best interest for now. Trust me, there are plenty of states you may wunna consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,898 posts, read 6,029,503 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbarbie View Post
I'm moving to Phoenix from Kansas City somewhere around Jan 10th. I am looking for a temporary place to live when I get there, until I figure out where I really WANT to live. I don't have a job there, don't know anyone there... just need a change (and stuff to do outside. and NO WINTER). I was there in late June to scope it out, and LOVED it. I've had a residential cleaning business here for 15 years and hope to establish one there eventually, but until then I'm willing to do temp work or whatever it takes to keep my head above water. Seems like from what I've seen, the 'east valley' is where I would ideally like to be, but would be willing to be farther northwest or southeast if it were CLEAN and SAFE. I would love input from some 'locals' about where to live, and more importantly, where NOT to live. I have some savings, but looking for $500-$600/mo or so for starters. Don't want a roommate, wish to start my new adventure on my own! I will also be looking for climbing partners, can anyone hook me up with the friendliest climbing club in Phoenix?
You can find places that do month-to-month, but the price is going to be much higher, and probably out of your price range.

You should find a job before moving, otherwise you're going to be like the others on here complaining about not finding work. If yoiu want to do house cleaning, you might find a few people that will let you clean their home, but good luck.

We do have a winter, it does get cold, but no snow. Typically it gets down into the 30's for the low on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
 
8,156 posts, read 8,892,358 times
Reputation: 5471
definitely try to line up a job - see if you can latch onto a cleaning service at first until you get the lay of the land

i would definitely recommend a roomate - 2 reasons for this - the 1st is to defray costs and stabilize your share, the 2nd is to network

competition is pretty heavy for jobs though, especially on the manual side of things .... construction unemployment here is well over 20% and a lot of those guys are picking up labor jobs as quickly as they can

i know one guy who started cleaning windows on one story houses for example

climbing is fairly popular out here and i'm sure you could find a club to join
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
4,000 posts, read 5,905,118 times
Reputation: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Please. Please. I cant beg you enough. Stay in Missouri until you get a job lined up. AZ is in awful shape for employment opportunties. The unemployment rate here is barely below 10% and there are many people here who are qualified and cant find work. AZ is overstaurated with people anyways. AZ was not 'designed' to be an urban center, just an empty worthless desert. In fact the local media here is saying the local economy wont turn aorund for several years, and that Phoenix has the 4th worst job market in the country, and how AZ will be among the last states to recover from the recession. The only jobs here, even in good time, are very low-paying service industries that dont offer much of a paycheck or a future. I have been unemployed for many months and cant find work and have agreat education and plenty of qualifications. Do you know how many people come here and think like you, and then go home when things dont work out?? About 90-percent. I am among them. And God forbid if you lose your job here, because AX ranks 49th in unemployment benefits compensation. And the social services here are a joke. With that in mind, your money, esp[ecially not having a job will run out in a very very short time. PLEASE PLEASE think about it ahead of time two, three or four times. You could be making a big mistake. Or at least wait til the economy rebounds. AZ is no better than the rest of the country; its actually worse. That is a fact. Staying in MO is in your best interest for now. Trust me, there are plenty of states you may wunna consider.

Sounds like she, I am assuming, has had a business and has money to live off of for a while and now she wants to "escape" for some time. St. Louis is in worse shape than Phoenix and Arizona and Missouri have the same unemployment rate 9.3; in fact, most of the nation is in much worse shape with unemployment and the like:
Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/20/news..._unemployment/

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/21/news...ion=2009102114

As someone who's very interested in economic indicators, I find it interesting how some national and local news try to make sense of the situation in Arizona. Our rate has not grown unlike 29 other states, the housing supply is shrinking, and new industry are moving in...yet some sources say the housing crisis may still cause more Arizona job losses or could and that Florida, Nevada, and Arizona top that list. I find some of that reporting riddled with faults since foreclosures have fallen in Arizona (and is no longer on the worst list while Florida and Nevada still top the nation), small businesses are still hugely incubated in Phoenix, and the cost of living is cheap. And 90% of those that move here don't leave Phoenix; or else we'd have under a million people here, LOL!

Most jobs now and in the future will require higher education; business, health care, bio-tech, new energy technologies, finance, and education. I think if you want to start a small business like a cleaning venture you may have a little difficulty now but this field is huge in metro Phoenix. If you do come, I assume you have money saved to live off of for some time...

For the rent you are asking for, I'd look for a cute studio in Tempe or Central Phoenix. I don't know of any rock climbing clubs you are asking for, but I am sure there are plenty. Check out a rock climbing gym and I'm sure you'll meet some climbing partners and learn of the clubs and activities fast enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
15,930 posts, read 27,802,651 times
Reputation: 11564
www.meetup.com has tons of groups. Put in your zip code, or zip-to-be, and see what's available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Arizona!
457 posts, read 424,240 times
Reputation: 548
People can't advise you to 'do it' or 'don't do it' because they don't know the details of your situation. If you have some 'gettin by $$' to last awhile you may do just fine. If you are an entrepreneur and a go-getter you may do just fine. Just be honest with yourself as to whether you can risk it.

We are getting ready to move from Ohio to AZ at the end of the school year. I have a job lined up, but my wife doesn't. As soon as she finds one she will likely be interested in hiring your residential house-cleaning services!

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,667 times
Reputation: 13
I'm not really asking whether to do it or not, that decision is already made I just have this amazing window of opportunity to go somewhere else, and I picked Phoenix! I appreciate the feedback though, and maybe I should have filled in the blanks more. I do have a decent stash. Also, I know it will take a while to build up a cleaning business that can support me, so I am going to fill out online apps for every temp service I can google so that I will have that ball rolling before I get there. I don't have any plans to find out what the public assistance is like in Arizona. I am a hard worker, a survivor, and a realist. I don't have much, and I don't need much. I am not a "career" woman; I work so I can play and I do both equally hard. It will be great not to have to drive 5 hours every weekend just to get somewhere with mountains and rocks!!!! And as a bonus, abundant sunshine!

I do appreciate, and consider, ALL feedback, and every one of you have been very helpful. I like to get both sides of the coin. I would appreciate anyone else's comment that wants to chime in!

I'm guessing Scottsdale is going to be the best area for my line of work. What would the commute be like from Tempe? Am I overlooking any area of Phoenix that may be a good target for work, or to live? What about Mesa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 AM
 
Location: South Tempe, AZ
13,498 posts, read 15,566,348 times
Reputation: 5861
Commute from Tempe to Scottsdale depends on where you are starting from and ending up. From South Tempe to far north Scottsdale is more than 25 miles, but it's all freeway if you use the 101. That can be crowded during rush hours, but the rest of the time would be OK. If you hook up with a cleaning service, you could end up working anywhere in the Valley. Tempe has good freeway access, which helps. Distances/commute times from Mesa to Scottsdale would vary too-- Mesa covers a pretty large area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
8,283 posts, read 10,069,197 times
Reputation: 4408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbarbie View Post
I'm not really asking whether to do it or not, that decision is already made I just have this amazing window of opportunity to go somewhere else, and I picked Phoenix! I appreciate the feedback though, and maybe I should have filled in the blanks more. I do have a decent stash. Also, I know it will take a while to build up a cleaning business that can support me, so I am going to fill out online apps for every temp service I can google so that I will have that ball rolling before I get there. I don't have any plans to find out what the public assistance is like in Arizona. I am a hard worker, a survivor, and a realist. I don't have much, and I don't need much. I am not a "career" woman; I work so I can play and I do both equally hard. It will be great not to have to drive 5 hours every weekend just to get somewhere with mountains and rocks!!!! And as a bonus, abundant sunshine!

I do appreciate, and consider, ALL feedback, and every one of you have been very helpful. I like to get both sides of the coin. I would appreciate anyone else's comment that wants to chime in!

I'm guessing Scottsdale is going to be the best area for my line of work. What would the commute be like from Tempe? Am I overlooking any area of Phoenix that may be a good target for work, or to live? What about Mesa?
We have hundreds of degreed applicants standing in lines for jobs at Crispy Creme. I would wait. Well, unless you have family you can go back to when your savings all goes away. It is a great place to explore and live and yes, you might get lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top