Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times

Advertisements

Are people still arguing that they were old enough to be given free reign with the boat? I know some keep saying these boys were old enough at 14 because they're skilled and responsible. APPARENTLY NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:38 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I do believe family can't control all actions but statements like above show they had a role in their disappearance even though family says "teens were not allowed" to go in open sea. Their families simply believed they were almost invincible (and so teens believed they were) and that is clear from their statements they have made over last 10 days or so.
It was a mistake, and unfortunately, one with dire consequences. This is not all that uncommon today. Many Parents believe that dealing with children is like dealing with adults, and if they treat them like adults, they will grow up to be better some how. They allow kids to do things that my parents would never do, in a million years, and way too may times it becomes tragic in the end. A good example is Parents who take small children to firing ranges and allow them to shoot Machine Guns, or put almost Toddlers on 4 wheelers. The Parents think they are doing the right thing, yet they are just throwing dice each time they do it. Now they have to live with that, and that's punishment enough.

I have been caught on open water, with a Storm that popped up out of nowhere, and thought it was going to capsize the 60 foot boat. The Storm came up very fast, with 8 and 10 foot swells, and the engine quit. The boat fell in between the swells and I really thought we where going over. We got lucky and the Storm blew over quickly, but not before it freaked out the two of us on the boat. We got the engine going again (big Hercules diesel) and made it back to shore, thanking our lucky stars. Open water is no place for kids, and no place for small boats. Anyone with any water experience should know that. Bad things can happen very quickly and you control none of it. You can only deal with it.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
And you also won't see that may 14 year old surfers either.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, ok.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
so it must be OK to let these boys go out in the Ocean in what amounts to a row boat.
Why do you keep repeating something that has been known to be absolutely false? You're trying desperately to make a point but just looking like a fool in the process.

Quote:
You can get cute if you like, but there was no post that said they should not be allowed to do anything.
Then you apparently have trouble with logic and reading comprehension as it's pretty much an either/or type of thing. You'd either have to supervise them 24/7 or show a little trust and allow them to do some things alone.

Quote:
Also, if your a responsible Parent with half a brain, you would know what you need to supervise and what you can feel comfortable with. If your 14 year old was going out to play in the yard, you may not feel a need to watch him, but if he asked if he could go up on the roof of your 10 story Condo would you say OK, but stay away from the edge with no rails?
I'd like to think any child that I would ever have would be smart enough at 14 years old to not need supervision near a roof railing. Maybe your kids lack that intelligence, but mine wouldn't.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,144 times
The boat disappearing seems rather bizarre. My first thought would be that those kids would try and stay as close to the boat as possible, and once it was spotted, the SAR would have swarmed all over that site.

I can't appreciate how strong those currents must have been, maybe making it impossible to try and go in a direction other than what the current takes you....but if I survived the the initial capsizing, I would have exhausted every ounce of energy getting back to that boat. Also, wasn't the engine cover that could be used as a flotation found missing? Which would indicate the kids took that from the boat after it went over?

Also, strange any life jackets were found still on the boat - if I felt there was a chance of the boat going over, I would have double or tripled up on the life jackets, and tried to almost make a raft out of it.

Also, just my opinion, but we've had 44 pages of people offering their judgement on the parents - does anything further on that need to be discussed? Would be great to keep this a discussion about what actually occurred or any news.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
The boat disappearing seems rather bizarre. My first thought would be that those kids would try and stay as close to the boat as possible, and once it was spotted, the SAR would have swarmed all over that site.
See posts #425 and #426. Boat was found by CG helo who dispatched a rescue swimmer to investigate and attach beacon to.

Either the boat sank or the beacon became dislodged from the boat. Nothing too bizarre there.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Just a tragedy. I sure hope whatever end came, was quick because those two kids probably wished their parents were there to save them. My sympathy for the parents and hopes for the kids, sometimes miracles are needed.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are people still arguing that they were old enough to be given free reign with the boat? I know some keep saying these boys were old enough at 14 because they're skilled and responsible. APPARENTLY NOT!

Yes, some of us are. People have boating accidents all the time and the vast majority of adults. We just had a rescue here, the guy was lucky because people saw him but it still took 4 hours. Boater Speaks Out After Rescue At Sea Off Coast Of Cape May « CBS Philly

If a 14 year old gets hit by a car on his bike, to you say he was too young to ride a bike? Lemme ask you, do you think has the greater percentage of teen deaths, boating or bikes?

I just saw the line about there not being many 14 year old surfers, you are dead wrong about that!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, some of us are. People have boating accidents all the time and the vast majority of adults. We just had a rescue here, the guy was lucky because people saw him but it still took 4 hours. Boater Speaks Out After Rescue At Sea Off Coast Of Cape May « CBS Philly

If a 14 year old gets hit by a car on his bike, to you say he was too young to ride a bike? Lemme ask you, do you think has the greater percentage of teen deaths, boating or bikes?

I just saw the line about there not being many 14 year old surfers, you are dead wrong about that!

I didn't write that. Quote the person who did or add, "To the poster who said....." otherwise you're making it look like it was my statement.

And yes, I've read the arguments, but they are nonsense to most of us who have kids and know better.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:29 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Why do you keep repeating something that has been known to be absolutely false? You're trying desperately to make a point but just looking like a fool in the process.

Then you apparently have trouble with logic and reading comprehension as it's pretty much an either/or type of thing. You'd either have to supervise them 24/7 or show a little trust and allow them to do some things alone.

I'd like to think any child that I would ever have would be smart enough at 14 years old to not need supervision near a roof railing. Maybe your kids lack that intelligence, but mine wouldn't.
So all you have is personal insults to back your performance? Maybe you would need to watch your litter 24/7 , but normal people don't . They know what needs to be watched and what doesn't. Its called "common sense." Ever heard of it? I am sure you would like to "think" a lot of things, including that your kids would have sense enough not to fall off a building, or not to go out in a rowboat and drown themselves, much like other Parents feel. Doesn't always work out as "you think" does it. This all happened because the Parents acted as you are claiming they should have when you said: " Show a little trust and allow them to do some things alone. " That's all well and good, but you need some common sense to go along with that theory, which some folks must be lacking if they think going out in the Ocean in a small pond or creek boat is cool.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events