Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Users were afraid of this and it has come to pass. New Windows 10 updates cannot be turned off, and users are reporting computer failures because of it.
I wasn't aware that the update is mandatory (per the title of your thread).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
OK, now I am furious.
Apparently Microsoft has attempted to update me to Windows 10 of their own volition.

I did not attempt nor give permission for any update.
Investigating problems with Flash Player I discovered that my security blocked multiple "unauthorized attempts" to access my system.

Checking my Updates I see it was attempting to update to Windows 10 which failed and now has left me with Windows 7 instead.

This machine has ONLY had Windows 8.1 on it since brand new, never anything else.

I did not ask for Windows 10.
Is Microsoft now making decisions for us?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:00 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
OK, now I am furious.
Apparently Microsoft has attempted to update me to Windows 10 of their own volition.

Investigating problems with Flash Player I discovered that my security blocked multiple "unauthorized attempts" to access my system.

Checking my Updates I see it was attempting to update to Windows 10 which failed and now has left me with Windows 7 instead.

This machine has ONLY had Windows 8.1 on it since brand new, never anything else.

So you had Windows 8.1, Microsoft using flash (LOL!) attempted to "break" into your system and update to 10, but then switched you to 7?

It's a conspiracy! lol

Windows has it's own protocol for updates and I assure you it's not through flash

Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I wasn't aware that the update is mandatory (per the title of your thread).
As I understand it, the upgrade to Windows 10 is not mandatory. But after you get Windows 10, further updates are mandatory.

Or am I wrong.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:32 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As I understand it, the upgrade to Windows 10 is not mandatory. But after you get Windows 10, further updates are mandatory.

Or am I wrong.
I just checked last night and you have 30 days after install to revert back go to updates recovery.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Or am I wrong.
No, you are right. Win10 is not mandatory. Once you upgrade to Win10 updates are mandatory. From then on, Microsoft is providing a "service" rather than just upgrading your software with security patches and bug patches like they used to do.
The service supposedly tracks your complete usage to determine your preferences in sites, shopping, interests and whatever else they can. similar to what Chrome does when it's constantly running "Widevine adapter". They're tracking you.
As I stated previously, I installed Win10 on a small partition in my laptop where Win8.1 used to live and I'm glad I did. It's much better than Win8.1. It's really slick, has a lot of convenient features and seems rock solid to me. I just play around with it now to figure it out. The rest of my operating systems are all Win7 professional, 64 bit. I do not intend to upgrade those systems at least for quite a while until some changes are made to Win10.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Paranoid means HEIGHTEND AWARENESS and in todays world,THATS A GOOD THING!!
Wolf39us's comment was a slam to me, although paranoid is a silly choice of words.

And yes, pheteroi, I'm going to skip it altogether since I'm not a Windows fan.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:04 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I put it on my oldest, jankiest computer first to see how it would do...a 4 year old laptop running Windows 7. The install went okay, but only after I found out you couldn't use the taskbar icon to start it....it still too longer than expected...and now the laptop boots faster, runs better and seems okay.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:06 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
OK, now I am furious.

I had a similar experience. When the Win10 upgrade symbol showed up in my task bar, I read numerous reviews from various tech sites and thought it would be a great upgrade for my systems. So I clicked on the "reservation button" in the window and waited about three days. I then received a notice that windows10 was ready to install. By that time I had decided to only upgrade my windows 8.1 software to Win 10 and clicked on the windows 10 symbol in my taskbar with the intention of cancelling my reservation for windows 10 on that computer. Instead it took over my machine and installed windows 10 over the top of windows 7 pro, 64. There was no way to stop it so I watched it install. The install went perfect right up until the finish/restart. Then my monitor started going crazy, turning on and off, with no control over any function, (Dell has a lot of driver updates to do to make their existing products compatable with windows 10).
So like a real tech pro, I panic, and hit the restore button on the start up sequence, hoping to take me back to what I had before the upgrade.
No way, Jose.........It restored me all the way back to Windows 7.0.0.0 released in 2009. I then was faced with sitting around for two days restoring 214 major upgrades to windows 7 before it was updated completely so I could run my backup disks and get my info back.
Moral is..............
Once you get a notice that windows 10 is ready to install, don't click on the Win10 task bar icon unless you want windows10. You can go into your "Action center/recent downloads" and see if and when they downloaded windows 10 and are just waiting for you to install it. Click on the windows10 downloads and then uninstall, and THEN go back to the windows10 upgrade icon and cancel your reservation. You have one year from July,2015 to install Windows 10 for free.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-12-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events