Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 05:06 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Who is "they"?

If the guy knowingly lured the animal out of a protected area, yes, he is a POS and deserves whatever comes to him and if that is the case, it will come.

However, if he paid a fee and others did the dirty deed, then he purchased the tags or whatever knowing that the high price he paid in money was purportedly going to help preserve the protected animals, that is how it works.

If there are no people willing to or allowed to buy licenses to shoot some of these animals, the remainder would be extinct already because poachers don't pay a thing and the countries in which these animals are found rely on people like this guy to offset much of the money used to protect the remaining animals.

A lot of knee jerking going on here. Hunting fees pay for a lot of animal conservation. If you want to do something about all this, then send some money to where it can be used to conserve animals otherwise you're talking one story and telling another.
How dare you bring the real world into this !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 05:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The lion was also not in the park. They were in legal territory when they hunted it. Unless they drove infront of the lion through the reserve with a pice of meat ( I doubt it) they are covered in that angle.

The 13-year-old lion was wearing a GPS collar as part of a research project that Oxford University has been running since 1999, making it possible to trace its last movements when it was tricked into leaving the park and shot with a bow and arrow. The hunters then tracked the dying animal for 40 hours before they killed it with a rifle.

Bait, in the form of a freshly killed animal, was used to tempt Cecil out of the park, a technique commonly used so that hunters can “legally” kill protected lions.

- See more at: Two arrested for killing of Cecil the lion while authorities track hunter - Africa Geographic

Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
And in just one sentence, you've exposed your self-righteous bias. You'd destroy him, if you could, even if nothing illegal took place, just because you disagree with him doing what he does. Do you support abortions, by the way ?

If he did knowingly poached, he needs to face the charges. Otherwise, the kind of attitude you have makes me sick.
Yep, I'm pro choice. I hope that makes you sick too, lol.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
So when you go to a third world country you know exactly who is properly licensed and who isn't even thought the official looking certificates all look the same and have the same forms / signatures ?

You do realize that in most places "improperly licensed" doesn't mean they don't have an official license or have a fake one, but that the real license was issued by a corrupt official in exchange for a bribe and without due process ? There's absolutely no way any customer would know whether a license is proper or not.
I generally avoid the company of people who just can't seem to stay out of trouble. It would seem, if what you are reporting is true, that it is wise to stay out of third world countries. Though from what we've seen of this Adonis, he can't keep out of trouble in Wisconsin, either.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:11 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yep, I'm pro choice. I hope that makes you sick too, lol.
Oh, God, the irony !

What makes you different from the Pro-Life people who block the abortion clinics ? At least they are consistent. I bet half of the rabid anti-hunters here enjoy their steak with fries.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
He, of course, lacked the cognitive function to suspect anything out of the ordinary when two folks produced a wild animal in 2 hours while he sat in the blind twiddling his thumbs.

Aren't hunters always talking about the great skill needed to stalk their prey?
That is how some guided hunts often work. The person shooting just walks or travels to where they are told to go or led and it doesn't take long.

Take a good hunter, someone who know the terrain and country and they can find an animal very quickly. Animals are creatures of habit. 2 Hours of quite a long time for a guided hunt once in position.

The more you know the less you question the obvious.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Oh, God, the irony !

What makes you different from the Pro-Life people who block the abortion clinics ? At least they are consistent. I bet half of the rabid anti-hunters here enjoy their steak with fries.

Do you know the difference between being anti-hunter and anti-hunter going after animals that are about to become extinct???

Old 07-28-2015, 05:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Oh, God, the irony !

The anti-hunters prefer to have others do their bidding for them. How it works. It comes in handy when dishing out hypocrisy pie, one side eats while the other condemns.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

A lot of knee jerking going on here. Hunting fees pay for a lot of animal conservation. If you want to do something about all this, then send some money to where it can be used to conserve animals otherwise you're talking one story and telling another.
According to some, it is likely that Cecil's illegal killing is going to lead to the death of a whole bunch of lions, namely the cubs that will now be killed. Can we send this mighty hunter a $50,000 bill for each one? Since hunting fees pay for so much conservation I'm sure you'll find it a good idea.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
According to some, it is likely that Cecil's illegal killing is going to lead to the death of a whole bunch of lions, namely the cubs that will now be killed. Can we send this mighty hunter a $50,000 bill for each one? Since hunting fees pay for so much conservation I'm sure you'll find it a good idea.
You're talking about his pride. His pride is now in danger because he's no longer there to protect them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events