Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,571,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, you don't.
I see it this way. Had the driver complied with the simple instructions the officer gave him he would be alive today. Refusing to step out, closing his door shut when the officer attempted to open it and starting the vehicle in an attempt to flee was just plain stupid on his behalf for such a minor traffic infraction. Now again, the officer did overreact, but the drivers own actions played a big part that led to his own death.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
did you notice that the vehicle did not move until the victim was shot? That's why he was arrested. The cop claimed the car was moving and he was afraid he would be sucked under it which is clearly NOT true.

Also, why not let him go and get a warrant for his arrest? You are aware that the violation was for a "missing front license plate" right?
And how would shooting the guy stop him from being dragged? Clearly the car continued to roll several feet anyway. Wouldn't it be better to just jump out of the way and then get a warrent for his arrest?

Did this guy have a partner with him? There was a second officer "corroborating" his story, so maybe he did. There goes my theory that a second person could make the first person more reasonable.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I see it this way. Had the driver complied with the simple instructions the officer gave him he would be alive today. Refusing to step out, closing his door shut when the officer attempted to open it and starting the vehicle in an attempt to flee was just plain stupid on his behalf for such a minor traffic infraction. Now again, the officer did overreact, but the drivers own actions played a big part that led to his own death.
Overreact? He shot him in the head! That's a hell of a way to describe it. Yes, the guy should have been more cooperative, but that doesn't excuse flat out murder. This is 180 degrees different than the Sandra Bland case. She was uncooperative, but all the cop did was get her out. He didn't shoot her, and he didnt "light her up" with his taser. At least his first instinct was to pull out his taser. This guy's first instinct was to shoot the guy in the head.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
They ex-military that become cops don't have college degrees. Most ex-military with 4-year college degrees go into better paying jobs that police work.
Police may not get paid a lot, but they get side jobs and retire millionaires when they are in their 50's.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Had the cop not shot him in the head he would be alive today.

We don't summarily execute people in the street in this country, no matter what they've done, unless they are a direct and imminent threat. It goes against everything America stands for.

This is horrifying to me. Your sentiment chills me to the bone.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Overreact? He shot him in the head! That's a hell of a way to describe it. Yes, the guy should have been more cooperative, but that doesn't excuse flat out murder. This is 180 degrees different than the Sandra Bland case. She was uncooperative, but all the cop did was get her out. He didn't shoot her, and he didnt "light her up" with his taser. At least his first instinct was to pull out his taser. This guy's first instinct was to shoot the guy in the head.
No he did not shoot her but at the same time she did not attempt to start her vehicle and drive off. Who knows what may have happened had she done that.

I'm not condoning this officers actions. I've stated twice already that he was in the wrong for firing his weapon. All I'm trying to say is, in today's times where there's lots of tension between officers and the black community, why escalate a rather simple traffic stop by attempting to drive off while being questioned by an officer for something a minor as a missing front plate and not having a drivers license on hand? Its just stupid in my opinion.

I'm a minority of latin decent. I have been pulled over many times for a variety of reasons. I've always complied and was courteous and have received the same treatment from each and every officer. Why would I want to give a person with a license to shoot/kill a reason to do just that?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Had the cop not shot him in the head he would be alive today.

We don't summarily execute people in the street in this country, no matter what they've done, unless they are a direct and imminent threat. It goes against everything America stands for.

This is horrifying to me. Your sentiment chills me to the bone.
And please tell me what action led to the demise of this man? Did the cop jump out of his car gun drawn and yelling in an aggressive manor to the driver? ....Or was he courteous and spoke with a calm demeanor to the driver when asked to provide a drivers license? The situation escalated once the driver refused to comply and attempted to flee. Bad decision were made by both the officer and the driver, but one is alive today while one isnt.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,284,515 times
What I saw in the video was disgusting and shameful. You'd think that if you cooperate with these cops, you wouldn't get killed. Disgusting!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
New police slogan in the USA: No longer 'protect and serve' but rather 'comply or die'.

Let's all just act accordingly. Pretend we live in Afghanistan.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
That's true but it doesn't change these facts:

1. He's dead - that's irreversible.

2. The police officer behaved in an irresponsible manner that resulted in a man's death.

3. The punishment does not fit the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.