Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM

32 posts, read 25,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Obama’s comment went to air on the BBC a few hours before the latest shooting in America which left three people dead, including the gunman, at the Grand Theater in Lafayette, Louisiana.
“For us not to be able to resolve that issue has been something that is distressing. But it is not something that I intend to stop working on in the remaining 18 months,” he said.

Obama said the number of Americans killed since 9/11 by terrorism was less than 100 while tens of thousands had been killed by gun violence.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-my-presidency

Dylann Roof was named the 21 st american mass shooting killer since Obama became a president.
So today we have the 22 nd.

Tragedy happened in Lafayette is awful... I am praying for all Americans who dead in such terrible accidents.

Gun control that Obama is talking about probably won't solve the problem now.
We live in bleak and unstable times when people are loosing the ground and confidence in the future more often... Who is to blame?
Government, globalization, economy?
People are scared and become mentally unstable, they do not have an adequate health care system and enough money for rehab ...
The country needed to be cured from inside and only after that try to change situation with guns.
Otherwise, people will resist and this will entail even more victims.

But I am sure that our generation won't see it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 11:15 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
He is not at all interested in gun safety, he and his ilk want guns banned, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:19 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
So when is he planning to start sending armed federal agents door to door in the urban ghettos confiscating illegal weapons ?

Oh, wait... "gun control" applies only to those who obey the laws.

I wish there was an administration that could have an honest discussion on violence in the U.S. - reasons, methods, trends. Including a country wide statistic on the number of justifiable self defense shootings. In Detroit alone this stands in the hundreds. Each one represents a crime prevented and someone legally armed not falling victim to a criminal. We could then compare the number of the victims of mass shooting to the number of self defense cases, and to the number of the victims of the crimes committed with illegally obtained guns.

It's like the assault weapons campaign - less than 1% of all shootings are committed with a rifle of any kind, and the semi-automatic assault rifles are less than half of that. Less than half percent. Let me repeat, for every murder committed with an assault rifle there's over 200 committed with other weapons. Yet if you listen to the politicians, the assault riffles present the biggest scariest threat to public safety.

We have a societal problem and they are trying to paint it as a tool access related problem.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
So when is he planning to start sending armed federal agents door to door in the urban ghettos confiscating illegal weapons ?

Oh, wait... "gun control" applies only to those who obey the laws.

I wish there was an administration that could have an honest discussion on violence in the U.S. - reasons, methods, trends. Including a country wide statistic on the number of justifiable self defense shootings. In Detroit alone this stands in the hundreds. Each one represents a crime prevented and someone legally armed not falling victim to a criminal. We could then compare the number of the victims of mass shooting to the number of self defense cases, and to the number of the victims of the crimes committed with illegally obtained guns.

We have a societal problem and they are trying to paint it as a tool access related problem.

Yep.

Cops in every city know where the illegal guns are. Drugs, too. But those won't be the first (or last) places they go to when guns are confiscated. Or, rather, when they try to confiscate them.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:42 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
The problem isn't the guns it is the idiots that choose to use them to kill others. There are plenty of criminals that will always kill each other and sometimes innocent people get in the way but what I want to know is when did it become the rage (pun intended) for some idiot intent on killing himself to take as many people with him as he can?

Is it that the sorry excuse for a human wants to end his life with a bang and finally get some notice so he chooses to shoot up a theatre of innocent people?
He knows the media will be all over it and for a time his life will mean something even if it is only known for evil ?

I think we can all understand how one person can be so mad at another that he kills but to walk in and just start shooting anyone is madness.

Murder will never stop even if all guns vanished tomorrow we would still see evil bringing a homemade bomb to the theatre or that same guy steering his car into a bunch of kids waiting for the school bus.

There is no stopping someone with evil intentions but if the media stopped making it front page news then maybe the killers wouldn't look to make a name for themselves but simply end their own sorry lives.

These mass killings are not about the guns.
Just a thought.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:43 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
It's like the assault weapons campaign
You mean the silly "assault weapon ban" that means I can't have a bayonet lug on my AR-15?

Gotta love when the politicians in AWB states pat each other on the back for those stupid laws

Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I posted this in the theater shooting thread, but it belongs here...

I am pro gun control, not because I think it will stop these kinds of shootings, it most likely won't. I am pro gun control because I think it will help stop the thousands of other gun deaths that occur. Deaths at the hands of criminals who attain their guns through blackmarket channels, almost all of which universally started out as legally purchased firearms. I think there are some very clear steps we can take...

1. All firearms owners/purchasers need to be licensed. This involves taking a test, demonstrating knowledge of basic safety and control, background checks and mental health screenings. It needs to be renewed every so often and that renewal can be streamlined. Think like a drivers license. There would be different levels of license for different types of firearms. This license would be valid in all 50 states.

2. Every individual firearm is registered to its owner in a national database. If you want to sell or purchase a gun private party, the registration needs to be transferred to the new owner. This transfer can be done at a police station or through a firearms dealer. Gun owners are responsible for their firearms at all times and can be charged with accessory if one of their guns is used in a crime if it can be proven that they committed some form of negligence.

3. There would be limits on the types of firearms allowed for private ownership as well as limits on things like magazine size. However, these regulations would be universal to all 50 states and all 50 states would allow concealed carry, assuming the persons license contained the CCW provision and they had been properly trained.

There you go, common sense gun control.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't see any common sense whatsoever in your post

Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I posted this in the theater shooting thread, but it belongs here...

I am pro gun control, not because I think it will stop these kinds of shootings, it most likely won't. I am pro gun control because I think it will help stop the thousands of other gun deaths that occur. Deaths at the hands of criminals who attain their guns through blackmarket channels, almost all of which universally started out as legally purchased firearms. I think there are some very clear steps we can take...

1. All firearms owners/purchasers need to be licensed. This involves taking a test, demonstrating knowledge of basic safety and control, background checks and mental health screenings. It needs to be renewed every so often and that renewal can be streamlined. Think like a drivers license. There would be different levels of license for different types of firearms. This license would be valid in all 50 states.

2. Every individual firearm is registered to its owner in a national database. If you want to sell or purchase a gun private party, the registration needs to be transferred to the new owner. This transfer can be done at a police station or through a firearms dealer. Gun owners are responsible for their firearms at all times and can be charged with accessory if one of their guns is used in a crime if it can be proven that they committed some form of negligence.

3. There would be limits on the types of firearms allowed for private ownership as well as limits on things like magazine size. However, these regulations would be universal to all 50 states and all 50 states would allow concealed carry, assuming the persons license contained the CCW provision and they had been properly trained.

Unfortunately there are already many states in the country with such laws in place. It doesn't make a difference. The people who generally abide by these laws are not the problem

Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I don't see any common sense whatsoever in your post
...and there's the problem. So, you wouldn't agree with people being licensed and having guns registered to owners in exchange for the ability to carry said guns in all 50 states without question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events