Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 04:08 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

I am all for the toy signs not being gender-specific, but I would still keep the clothing and dressing rooms separate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 04:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Well, my first video game was 'Pong', if that helps.

Video game consoles were originally marketed to whole families, especially considering the price points were the equivalent to spending $1,000 or more of today's money. Games like *******, Tetris, Duck Hunt, Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, City Connection, Pacman, Ms. Pacman,etc., appealed to nearly everyone. It was at least a decade until the immersive 'first person shooter' experience started pulling in the boys for the gratuitous violence to dominate the games market.

It would cost up to $50-$60 for one newly released game cartridge for the Atari, equal to a couple of hundred dollars today.
I don't remember the Atari ads. Just a little young. But the Nintendo Ads were pretty gendered, particular as I got older! Those people whose first console was a playstation? That was when video gaming advertising was for boys only. Maybe right around when I was 13, 14, 15. Games got segregated.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:27 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
take kids to the store they will run and look for their stuff -NEVER look up at a sign -- ever

Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Does Toys R Us actually label toy aisles by gender (I avoided that store even when I had young kids so I have no idea)?

So....the folks complaining about all the extra time and effort they'd need to spend wandering the toy aisles in Target, to try to find a Barbie, would be willing to go to a huge store, 5 times as big as the toy dept at Target? Not to mention often appearing dirty/unkempt and purposefully designed to have you walk through as many aisles as possible?
The poster above you mentioned;I can't help but wonder where all those who plan to boycott Target over this plan to do their shopping. I just made a silly reply.

I never took my kids to toy stores much, waste of money and they would play with most the stuff a few times and stuff it in the closet. I personally think, parents worry way too much about having/finding the perfect toy and keeping up with their kid's friends. I let the grandparents spend their money when they came to visit, made them all happy!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM

103 posts, read 82,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
This might work if your kid is homeschooled or being raised in a Bohemian Utopia, but you REALLY don't want to send a 2nd grade boy to public school wearing makeup, if you don't like bullying.
If I had a child, they have every right to wear makeup in school whether they're a boy or girl. If my child gets bullied, I would simply say, "suck it up, kid" after notifying the school principal. I would let my child know that they shouldn't change themselves to suit society's tastes. Instead, they should simply question why society can't accept them for who they are. I would teach my child to stand strong and be their true self and strive to find good friends that can accept them.
You see, I'm transgender. I grew up as a boy and transitioned into a woman upon getting my first job after college. I am a female in all legal documents now. I've always felt like one and I never gave a sh*t about what people thought from elementary school all the way up to now. My parents disowned me because of this. It's fine though. That's their call. I can't even bring myself to beg for sympathy over this issue because it's who I am and I have to deal with it myself. I want my child to have the same mentality as me.

If my kid is really so mentally weak that they can't even stand a little bullying, I'm gonna have to lecture the heck out of them.

I played with all girls in elementary. I loved dolls and I talked to my boy classmates in the same way that little girls do. I wore loads of makeup in high school that I secretly bought despite being a boy on the outside.

Now that I took hormones to gain the physical appearance of "the girl next door" (breasts, hips, feminine face, softer skin), changed my name, grew out my hair, etc, I am treated differently when I wear makeup because it's "expected" as a woman. I'm 5'3, 100 lbs with small hands and feet, so strangers can't tell I used to be a boy.
But what's disturbing is... these same people would've looked at me with disgust if they saw me in high school with makeup on. They would consider me a "sick" person for doing this or even call me "sick" for condoning little children to do as they please. But I honestly don't care about following society's standards and I don't want my child to care either... (if I ever decide to have one, that is.. lol)

Old 08-13-2015, 08:43 PM

103 posts, read 82,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I pointed out that it's absolutely absurd to expect people to live their lives in such a way that they make choices to avoid being bullied. Instead, maybe we should deal with the bullies?

It is equally absurd to expect someone to hide or change their faith as it is to expect someone to conform to artificial gender norms. What is MORE absurd is that being bullied on the basis of my faith is considered heinous, but a little boy being bullied for wearing a dress is a-OK.
AGREE.
I just went on a rant about this in the previous post.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Oh, it doesn't harm any THING. Only kids, who might be intimidated by the thought of going down a boy aisle if they are a girl, or vice versa. That might not stop a three-year-old (they are pretty much unaware), but may well stop a six- or seven-year-old.

As I said in a previous post, toys are not about adults. Your minor inconvenience is not worth stifling any child's interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
We are talking about kids toys and all you are saying is I, I, I, I.

You play with children's toys?

The problem is, those colors are not only making it easier for you (I, I, I) to find the toys. Those colors are basically saying to girls "this is your aisle" and to boys "this is your aisle".

Don't think kids of a certain age don't take note...
You do realize you are insane, right?

Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I am all for the toy signs not being gender-specific, but I would still keep the clothing and dressing rooms separate.
Ever heard of the slippery slope?
Other kooks/progressives/liberals will feel no differentiation is appropriate for dressing rooms, bathrooms, etc. because previous less absurd "barriers" have already been broken down. Keeping normal traditional standards in place also helps to keep them from constantly looking to push the envelope. Just a few years ago this gender neutral PC crap would have been laughed at.
Now with attempts to appease every behaviorally deviant minority, we make the majority suffer for to 2% or so of the vocal minority.
Heck in some cases no one is offended, but bleeding heart liberals don't want to take a chance that even one out of 320 million might have their poor feelings bruised.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You do realize you are insane, right?
What,,,you think children's toys are about you?

I happened to run to my local Target after work today. I specifically perused the toy section. Legos were together in the same aisle, Barbies and My Little Pony were clearly labeled, just didn't mention gender, "action figures" and Hot Wheels were in separate aisles, just not gender labeled. The shelving was tan/beige. No one appeared lost or confused. There was lightning out but I'm pretty sure it was weather not the Apocalypse.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Ever heard of the slippery slope?
Other kooks/progressives/liberals will feel no differentiation is appropriate for dressing rooms, bathrooms, etc. because previous less absurd "barriers" have already been broken down. Keeping normal traditional standards in place also helps to keep them from constantly looking to push the envelope. Just a few years ago this gender neutral PC crap would have been laughed at.
Now with attempts to appease every behaviorally deviant minority, we make the majority suffer for to 2% or so of the vocal minority.
Heck in some cases no one is offended, but bleeding heart liberals don't want to take a chance that even one out of 320 million might have their poor feelings bruised.
So let me get this straight...in order to avoid this.."slippery slope" you describe and are clearly concerned about, we need Target to spoon-feed us the "correct" gender assignations? If they are so innate and God-given, why does Target need to guide us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events