Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 02:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
If you find your 4 year old son playing with barbie dolls, that's a serious concern.
Two things...

1) Whether or not a child of either gender plays with Barbie dolls isn't the issue, signage is.

ETA - and if you think a sign designating them "girls" toys or GI Joe as a "boy" toy will somehow change who your child is, you're mistaken.

2) Meh...4 year olds play with all different stuff. My son had an older sister thus he occasionally played with Barbies. At almost 22, I can assure you it hasn't hindered his development. He played football and everything.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-12-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 03:04 PM

16,576 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
What if you wanted to get a snow brush for your car. Would that be under "women's automotive items" or "men's automotive items"? How about a yoga mat? Would that be under "women's sporting goods" or "men's sporting goods"? Or an electrical drill? Would that be under "women's tools" or "men's tools"?

Ridiculous, right?
What is ridiculous are the examples you created. As I said in my previous post, I want as much info to help me get in and out of a store as possible. So if I see a big toy section, but I am there looking for a toy to buy my niece, I do not wish to look through all sorts of toys more suited to boys interests. Instead I want the Barbie dolls, "My Little Pony", etc.

I have yet to read a single logical post explaining how having colors or signs informing customers where the items they are looking for are, is harmful in any way?
Hopefully someone will be able to explain it since there seems to be enough liberal/progressives in this thread that like this change.
[Yet I'd bet most didn't care or even give it a second thought,,,,but since it is more attuned to their teams philosophy, they wish to defend it]

`

Old 08-12-2015, 03:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Why do people care, we all know Barbies are mostly for girls and Hot Wheels are mostly for boys with some going against the grain anyway?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What is ridiculous are the examples you created. As I said in my previous post, I want as much info to help me get in and out of a store as possible. So if I see a big toy section, but I am there looking for a toy to buy my niece, I do not wish to look through all sorts of toys more suited to boys interests. Instead I want the Barbie dolls, "My Little Pony", etc.

I have yet to read a single logical post explaining how having colors or signs informing customers where the items they are looking for are, is harmful in any way?
Hopefully someone will be able to explain it since there seems to be enough liberal/progressives in this thread that like this change.
[Yet I'd bet most didn't care or even give it a second thought,,,,but since it is more attuned to their teams philosophy, they wish to defend it]

`
You will never ever have trouble finding the Barbie aisle. Trust me.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:

Now you answer a question for me.
How does always having had those signs/colors harm anything?
When you were a kid growing up and your Mom brought you shopping, did it adversely effect you in any way?
Really, why all the fuss about paint colors and signs letting people know where to better find specific items for a boy or a girl
Oh, it doesn't harm any THING. Only kids, who might be intimidated by the thought of going down a boy aisle if they are a girl, or vice versa. That might not stop a three-year-old (they are pretty much unaware), but may well stop a six- or seven-year-old.

As I said in a previous post, toys are not about adults. Your minor inconvenience is not worth stifling any child's interest.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Target is making the toy aisles gender neutral.

Target Will Stop Separating

Oddly, some people are really POed about this.
Target To Stop Separating 'Girl' And 'Boy' Toys, Some People Are PISSED - Scary Mommy

I think this is a good move!
Doing so is dumb, but it is also insignificant..

Old 08-12-2015, 03:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:

We are talking about kids toys and all you are saying is I, I, I, I.

You play with children's toys?

The problem is, those colors are not only making it easier for you (I, I, I) to find the toys. Those colors are basically saying to girls "this is your aisle" and to boys "this is your aisle".

Don't think kids of a certain age don't take note...

Old 08-12-2015, 03:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
Quote:

If you are looking for a Barbie or a My Little Pony for your niece, do you really need to be told that the aisle has Barbie dolls FOR GIRLS? Is the "for girls" portion really necessary? Why isn't it enough to just label the row "Barbie dolls"? If you can't figure out if a certain toy is intended for boys or for girls, does it occur to you that perhaps it doesn't matter even one little bit and children of either gender could enjoy it? Are you really going to be standing there in the aisle with the legos, lips a-quiver, thinking to yourself, "but which does the castle builder set require to operate, a penis or a vagina??"

Old 08-12-2015, 03:39 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,181 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GgOYO9QZM

From the early days in human development, men and women have been different to be able to survive as a species. Whether it be hunter/gathers vs. nurtures/childrearing, those differences helped us evolve into the dominate species.
However in todays controlled PC society, just the mere mention or implication that men are better at anything, brings derision. Yet say women are better at things(which is true of course), and it is accepted due to a liberal PC hypocritical standard.

`
Of course men and women are different. The thing is it's a sliding scale with significant overlap between the sexes. A girl or boy should be able to make their choices and be whatever they want in life, whether it's a doctor, nuclear physicist, soldier or homemaker. But traditionalist morons keep trying to pigeonhole people into categories and restrict their choices in life because of their gender.

And really, the things these morons usually pass off women as being better at are low-status, low-skilled, low-paying jobs. "You should be taking care of kids and cleaning house like a good little woman. Leave the big, important stuff to us men because your little ladybrain can't handle it."

It's really stupid. I used to hear the argument that "boys are better at video games because they have better spatial awareness" and that argument was used to justify the reason most girls didn't play video games. When the real reason was games were only marketed toward boys and usually focused on subjects and themes boys but not girls were preconditioned to find attractive. Now that more women are playing video games and companies are starting to listen to their input, the men are getting pissy about it.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
A question for those shoppers who are too stupid to find a toy unless it's coded either pink or blue: How do you manage to find such things as boardgames or puzzles or Legos, which don't fall into your convenient 'Gotta have a penis/vagina to play with this toy!' categorization?

Do you just wander cluelessly around stores, feebly calling out "Help! I'm looking for Chutes 'n' Ladders but it's not in any of the pink or blue aisles! Help! Someone help me, please!" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events