Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:50 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times

Advertisements

It's all about the money. I am a Christian, but left Organized Religion a long time ago, when I realized this, and some other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:21 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Is it? Source?
Jesus is Big Business in America

When Christianity came to America, it became a business

Old 08-22-2015, 03:09 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,133 times
My heart aches for this woman. I'm sure this definitely will affect her family on how it views this church. I hope she has a big family that attends this hypocrite of a pastor and they all quit attending his church. He obviously doesn't follow the teachings of Christ, therefore isn't really a Christian. I can't begin to imagine how she must feel. At her age, this disgusting act might kill her.

I quit going to church 25 years ago because my Mother was very active in the church and ALWAYS was one to visit the sick. She had what she thought were many good friends through the church. When she got sick with cancer, they turned their backs on her & hurt her deeply. Phony Christians that I chose not to be a part of.

A poster said the Catholic church wouldn't do that. The Catholic church used to shame people by printing monthly what every parishioner gave financially.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:07 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
This makes me sick. This church doesn't even deserve the name.

But, the knee jerk reaction of some who claim ALL churches behave this way and demand money from their members is incorrect. I and my family attended the same church for about 20 years. Once a year, there was a mailing sent to every member soliciting an annual pledge. We never returned it and never pledged a dime. And yet we suffered no consequences, felt no pressure and were never solicited by any means other than the mailing the next year. I can think of dozens of non profits we've donated to over the years who call or send us letters asking for money 3-4 times a year or more. And don't even get me started on Time Warner Cable who sends me at least 1 letter per week trying to win me back as a customer.

Some churches are respectful and welcoming to even those who prefer to not contribute financially. And some are as disgraceful as the one in the story.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:07 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This church should be stripped of their non-profit status. If they're going to demand money for services
In Judaism it is standard to pay for membership in addition to tickets for services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/us...ynagogues.html

Quote:
Let’s say that your religion considers one day a year to be especially holy. On that day, people complete a 10-day period of self-examination and making amends. Meanwhile, God decides what is in store for the coming year. Members of the community — even many who rarely attend services — gather to chant special prayers.

Now imagine that, to be there on that day, you have to pay hundreds of dollars.

That is the situation faced by millions of American Jews every Yom Kippur. At most synagogues, to attend services on that holiday, which this year ends Saturday night, one must have paid annual dues or have bought special tickets. The fees also cover tickets for Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, which was last week.

While nearly all congregations offer discounts or free tickets based on need, the regular ticket price can prompt sticker shock. To take an extreme example, Temple Emanu-El, on East 65th Street in Manhattan, charges $2,970 for the best seats, which includes annual membership.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Hey I found a video of this church's pastor, this could explain a lot.
http://youtu.be/UlWJS1zyl-c

Just one of many reasons I'm an atheist.

Bill

Old 08-22-2015, 06:10 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Its a Baptist church. That's exactly the kind of thing you'd expect.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:05 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
This is what Christianity is all about. $$$

Church I went to was the same. Even though they didn't kick people out for not "tithing", they sure did preach a lot about it, begging us for $$$ all the time. Morning and night.

During Christmas season, that's when everyone started asking question when the pastor was asking for so much.

This is what happen on that Sunday
1) Church pass the plates around for the normal tithing. Nothing wrong.
2) Another plate was passed for "Jesus Birthday". LOL WTF?
3) One last plate was passed to help the church pay for Landscaping Maintenance. WTF!
Um, no, but I'm sorry that you had that experience. The small churches that barely survive financially but don't care because that's not what they're about just don't make the news.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

Short-sighted bureaucrats are with us always --- even in church.
Yep, that's the trouble. Churches often end up mirroring the political practices and the economic practices of their surroundings.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:30 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Religion
Yup, one's relationship with God have nothing to do with these corrupt human organizations. Religions have been nothing but a hind-bound drag to human progress. God is great, but organized religion is nothing but a sophisticated scheme to fool the ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events