Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:53 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this is some sort of scam? The church looks closed and apparently they haven't posted anything on their FB page in two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:18 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
That what is all about - and all it's ever been about. Jesus was the exception, but the rule of organized religion has always been about money and power.

It is disgusting, but it doesn't matter. They'll gladly kick this woman out for not paying up, and then get back to singing hymns about how blessed are the poor.

Friggin' hypocritical idiots.
Unfortunately, to quote a leading donor/"important person"/board member at a Jewish nonprofit (not a synagogue though) "we'd love to be egalitarian, but we can't run on love and air." So, there is a real dilemma as to how a religious organization with a building and land to maintain can operate. In nearby Port Chester a bunch of churches have been closing. I suspect the relative poverty of the churches' catchment explains this.

The way my synagogue, and most in the Jewish religion handle things is to charge relatively steep dues (in my case about $3500 a year, give or take a few hundred) and request other miscellaneous funds during the year. There is never an explicit charge to attend services. A person who can't pay that kind of money is supposed to supply a financial statement of some kind. This appears to be a workable compromise.

The problem is in areas where everyone or just about everyone is poor. How would a church operate then?

I do agree with the quoted post and others, though, that all religions are becoming too much about money. Even at my synagogue, where the clergy are relatively egalitarian, they simply don't have much time to comfort or talk to a lonely or upset person, elderly or otherwise. When they walk the crowds after services, when they chat with people they are often looking out for other people. Often they'll excuse themselves by saying "there's someone I have to talk to." I suspect that person is often a well-heeled donor or potential donor.

The problem, of course, is that Jesus or Yud-hey-vahv-hey (phonetic) doesn't write checks for maintenance or salaries. Does anyone have any solutions?

Last edited by jbgusa; 08-22-2015 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 04:10 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The way my synagogue, and most in the Jewish religion handle things is to charge relatively steep dues (in my case about $3500 a year, give or take a few hundred) and request other miscellaneous funds during the year. There is never an explicit charge to attend services. A person who can't pay that kind of money is supposed to supply a financial statement of some kind. This appears to be a workable compromise.
No..

The one and only 'workable compromise' would be telling the synagogue/church/whatever to fukc off. I make a comfortable living and $3500 along with "other miscellaneous funds" is steep even for me.. And for what? The "privilege" of worshiping some imaginary something in the sky?

Not just no, but hell no.

Quote:
Even at my synagogue, where the clergy are relatively egalitarian, they simply don't have much time to comfort or talk to a lonely or upset person, elderly or otherwise. When they walk the crowds after services, when they chat with people they are often looking out for other people. Often they'll excuse themselves by saying "there's someone I have to talk to." I suspect that person is often a well-heeled donor or potential donor.
Well now, imagine that...

Old 08-22-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
No..

The one and only 'workable compromise' would be telling the synagogue/church/whatever to fukc off. I make a comfortable living and $3500 along with "other miscellaneous funds" is steep even for me.. And for what? The "privilege" of worshiping some imaginary something in the sky?

Not just no, but hell no.
There is also a pretty good offering of adult education courses, providers of companionship for people who are in hospitals or shut-ins at home and are suffering and dying. Unfortunately, as I mentioned below, not from clergy, but from other volunteers.

And even if they didn't why have people been practicing religion since the beginning of time?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Well now, imagine that...
I do agree with the quoted post and others, though, that all religions are becoming too much about money. Even at my synagogue, where the clergy are relatively egalitarian, they simply don't have much time to comfort or talk to a lonely or upset person, elderly or otherwise. When they walk the crowds after services, when they chat with people they are often looking out for other people. Often they'll excuse themselves by saying "there's someone I have to talk to." I suspect that person is often a well-heeled donor or potential donor.
What I described is something that I have real problems with.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wonder if this is some sort of scam? The church looks closed and apparently they haven't posted anything on their FB page in two years.
What is interesting is that there seems to be no published response to this media shytstorm. One would expect that they'd have something to say, even if it's that the "church" is also financially struggling.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:26 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Ouch. Their Facebook page is on hell fire!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/First...580?sk=reviews

Old 08-22-2015, 04:32 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksalot View Post
Thought so.

Let me guess, she was no longer able to contribute financially to the maudlin "reverend"'s high-rolling lifestyle?
No doubt!! But there's one thing that bother's me..Since when doesn't the CHURCH support their parishioner's..those in need ..Something is very wrong here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Wow! These "Christians" should be ashamed of themselves.
They may claim they care ( the hierarchy of that particular church) but unfortunately many churches are built on a false foundation it appears!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
"This is to certify, that you, Josephine King has shown non-support towards the First African Baptist Church of Bainbridge, Georgia and are in violation of the Policy III Membership, Section 1.

Evidently, Pastor Derrick Mike wants this 92 year old woman to pay up. Disgusting.
Agree~~ as I posted up above..Since when does a church NOT extend a helping hand to their parishioners....after half century..Yikes..Kind of tells the tale about their Ethics!! They should be ashamed of themselves!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Guess that church doesn't believe in OG status.
Sorry what does OG mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Church members have to pay their church dues!!

Oh, well...you don't need to go to church to be faithful to God.

[take the high ground Ms. King]
I'm willing to bet Ms. King will do that in spades!! I can just hear her.."God forgive them, THEY do NOT know what they do"..She will have a special place in heaven come her time

Old 08-22-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Cor. 9:7)

Perhaps Pastor Mike could preach on this passage next Sunday.
Course he best give the caveat ..Unless you are old and sick and unable to meet your REQUIREMENT's which mean's expulsion....LOL

It's just NOT Christian-like per the teachings of Jesus..So unless this church wishes to rescind their Tax exempt status..They best start ministering to their elderly and sick folks!!

Old 08-22-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
This makes me sick. This church doesn't even deserve the name.

But, the knee jerk reaction of some who claim ALL churches behave this way and demand money from their members is incorrect. I and my family attended the same church for about 20 years. Once a year, there was a mailing sent to every member soliciting an annual pledge. We never returned it and never pledged a dime. And yet we suffered no consequences, felt no pressure and were never solicited by any means other than the mailing the next year. I can think of dozens of non profits we've donated to over the years who call or send us letters asking for money 3-4 times a year or more. And don't even get me started on Time Warner Cable who sends me at least 1 letter per week trying to win me back as a customer.

Some churches are respectful and welcoming to even those who prefer to not contribute financially. And some are as disgraceful as the one in the story.
It certainly isn't my experience in any church I was a part of!! I have been members of various Protestant churches over my lifetime..even taught Sunday School to youngsters during my high school years. I NEVER witnessed anything that even resembles this ..ever!! So I do agree..It's certainly NOT an across the board behaviour !! The only people that use Total encompassing terminology are those who wish to divide or it appears TROLL a subject! It's only my observation anyway!!

But I will say..THIS church's callous letter to this half century parishioner is disgusting!!

Old 08-22-2015, 04:50 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
Quote:
There is also a pretty good offering of adult education courses, providers of companionship for people who are in hospitals or shut-ins at home and are suffering and dying. Unfortunately, as I mentioned below, not from clergy, but from other volunteers.

And even if they didn't why have people been practicing religion since the beginning of time?
Why people practice religion is something for a separate discussion.

Some people want to believe something, and there will always be other people who take advantage of them.

I'll give you another example....

The 9/11 "Truth" movement.. Have you ever listened to, or looked at any of the "truth" websites? They know to the very depths of their souls that George Bush planted explosives in the WTC and destroyed it for a multitude of reasons..

But then dig a little deeper and you'll see eerie similarities to organized religion. Specifically AE911 - or "Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth." They need a LOT of money and have absolutely zero shame in asking for it either. Don't take my word for it though, by all means look it up and see for yourself..

So with organized religion and the 9/11 "truth" movement both continuously needing massive amounts of money, what does that tell us? Neither has anything to do with the other, yet they operate the exact same..

Dunno about you, but to me it's a business model.

"We need money - but how to get it? I know, we'll tell people we 'need' it for reasons XYZ!"

Just like the old snake oil salesmen... "My miracle tonic will cure your bursitis/arthritis/croop/whatever!"

Dig deep and listen to the message... The "salvation," the "cure," the "truth," is all interchangeable with one another. It all needs money... lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of money. All your money. All of his and her money. All of their money! Because they're doing "good work" and it doesn't come cheap!

Like I said though, don't take my word for it. Think about it though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events