Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,275,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, I've forgotten my wallet TWICE. Once in the cart, once when I had a newborn I left the wallet on top of the car and drove off...found it still on the roof when I got to the store.

People forget their phones here at work in the bathroom about once a week.

People forget phones, wallets, purses all the time. Babies are much much harder to forget as you have correctly noted but that doesn't make it impossible.

I do not doubt that in some cases it's malicious but people do on occasion have enormous brain-farts. Sometimes it's because they are impaired by drugs, or an undiagnosed medical issue....but it does happen.

So, until I get the full facts as to why they charged her I'm going to give the gal the benefit of the doubt.

Again, what about the guy that told a pilot to drop a 500lb bomb on top of him? Distracted, stressed, low on sleep? *normally* impossible errors start to happen in those situations.
Look I have ADHD, I forget something or lose something everyday. In fact my sisters often tell me they can't imagine living like me because all I do is "lose" and forget things, and I'm constantly stressed out and disorganized. My brain is a cluttered mess. I've lost my wallet more times than I can count, lost my phone for days at a time, and I've lost important documents, forgot appointments, etc. It happens. Those things are totally understandable. And in the grand scheme of things those things are important and also seem crazy to "lose" but even as crazy as I am I have not ever forgot him, like ever... I can't explain it but I'll be frank it'd be pretty hard for me to forget him, because he is not quiet--never has been. His car seat is huge and takes up the entire backseat, and I can see it in the rearview and I look in the rearview as I drive and on instinct periodically glance at him. And it's pretty difficult to forget he's in the car with me on my way to work, when I just put him in the car 20 minutes beforehand and it's still "fresh on my mind"--to forget something less than an hour after you just "touched it" , "saw it" and "physically" helped it into the car, and perhaps heard it every now and then as you drove, is difficult for me to PERSONALLY understand. I can understand forgetting to a pick a child up from school--because 8 hours have passed since you saw the child, they aren't physically close to you, and you might have gotten caught up in a meeting etc. I can understand forgetting that you were suppose to do something with the child later on in the day. But I can't understand forgetting a child that you put in the car, and saw nearly 20-45 minutes(the average route to work or daycare) beforehand. I can't understand forgetting a baby you just had a couple of months ago in a cart, but somehow remembering to get all the groceries out the car and put them up in the car. I can't understand forgetting that apart of your unload and load ritual includes placing the car seat in the car--because carseats or huge and heavy and it's always annoying having to take a child in and out. To forget that is sort of strange but okay. I also recall that when my son was in daycare, and when he was baby, that I always had a bookbag with a change of clothes, diapers, etc, milk, etc. So I constantly had to lug those items in as well. It was a time-consuming process, getting him into the car with his heavy car seat, filling the diaper bag up, etc, etc. So to forget that I did all of that and get out my car, remembering my purse, coffee mug and lunch pail but completely overlooking the carseat with a baby in it, and the diaper bag, and the fact that my "so" reminded me that I needed to drop him/her off at daycare and remember to do XYZ--well I just can't understand it.

But again what I do understand is that no person is alike and that we all operate differently. And so I don't conclude that this mother did this intentionally, my conclusion is that this mother most likely NEEDS help. She has four kids, she's young, she's tired, she's overwhelmed, and so she's prone to make mistakes. The problem is that some mistakes are too "big" to ignore or chalk it up as "oh well we all do it"--especially if that baby would have been hurt or kidnapped, etc. I don't think these parents should be punished without heavy investigation and whatnot but I do think that the "I forgot" excuse really undermines what's at stake--the child's life because the parent was too busy, tired, stressed, or whatever else to remember they exist. That's a problem--and to me it just indicates that a parent most likely NEEDS some type of help, whether it's a class on how to balance everything, how to manage stress, how to spend more time with the kid, or how to be more organized. But I don't think that this should be passed off as "oh well it happens", because a lot of the time when this happens it results in a child losing his/her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:33 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,866,641 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Peterson says she realized after she got home and one of her older children asked where the baby was what a terrible error she had made. It took Cherish about forty minutes to make the roundtrip journey and come back for the baby and by the time she arrived, officers say she was very distraught with what had happened.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

How can you forget your own son???

IM SICK OF THE SHEEPLE IN THE WORLD TODAY,I REALLY AM!!!!!!! (All they care about is FACEBOOK,SEARCH FOR THE STARS AND HAVING THIER NOSES IN THOSE BLASTED SPY DEVICES!!)

Poor baby

Old 08-31-2015, 07:01 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
I left my purse in the cart one time after unloading the groceries. I wouldn't put it past me.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
my mom had 4 kids under 6 & never forgot about any of us while out shopping/running errands. When the youngest was born, she was 26. No sympathy from me.
Lol, that you know of! Who knows what happened when we were all babies & toddlers!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,881,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Everyone's not me though... I just don't believe that someone that forgets a newborn baby should get to walk away-it opens up the possibility that she might also be making careless smaller mistakes with the child at home... .

This is what I keep thinking too. If this is actually a mistake, it is the type of "mistake" that makes me question mental competence. Should someone who makes such as horrible, dangerous, extreme mistake be allowed around children?

An extreme question perhaps, but really... What else does she forget? Baby in the bath? To feed the kids at meal time? What?

Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 PM

639 posts, read 972,831 times
This happened in my town, in the grocery store I shop at.

For those surprised at the number of kids and her age - this area in particular has a LOT of this. It goes hand in hand with the demographic here. There are a lot of unreasonable expectations for women in this area to get married young and have kids, and a lot of them. One of my neighbors has 9, another has 7. It's the norm here.

She is not a single mom, at least not from the interviews I've seen, it appears the father is in the picture. I would guess that she is overwhelmed.

I have very mixed emotions on this. For one - it's over 100 degrees here right now, and has been for the past 3+ months, so it was HOT. I'm not going to give an opinion on this one way or another other than, I have some compassion for her because I see what many women in this area are expected to do. It's sad in a lot of ways and I wouldn't want to go through that kind of scrutiny. I can't even imagine that kind of daily life pressure that happens in the first place - and then having this happen....I just hope she has a good support system to help her out.

Last edited by sandy6879; 08-31-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
OK look - I am not condoning her mistake, but after watching the video, I can see how it unfolded. I feel sorry for her, I really do. How embarrassing and heartbreaking. I'm glad that her husband is standing by her.

I think it's fair that she faces charges but hopefully she will receive something like community service or some sort of counseling.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:34 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't understand how this can happen at all. My mom had FIVE kids. I can't imagine her ever forgetting any of us anywhere.

I'm wondering if the woman is on drugs? Or is disturbed in some way? There must be some reason. This doesn't just happen to normal people.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,008,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
This happened in my town, in the grocery store I shop at.

For those surprised at the number of kids and her age - this area in particular has a LOT of this. It goes hand in hand with the demographic here. There are a lot of unreasonable expectations for women in this area to get married young and have kids, and a lot of them. One of my neighbors has 9, another has 7. It's the norm here.

She is not a single mom, at least not from the interviews I've seen, it appears the father is in the picture. I would guess that she is overwhelmed.

I have very mixed emotions on this. For one - it's over 100 degrees here right now, and has been for the past 3+ months, so it was HOT. I'm not going to give an opinion on this one way or another other than, I have some compassion for her because I see what many women in this area are expected to do. It's sad in a lot of ways and I wouldn't want to go through that kind of scrutiny. I can't even imagine that kind of daily life pressure that happens in the first place - and then having this happen....I just hope she has a good support system to help her out.
Interesting. What do you mean the demographics? Is it a wealthier area, lots of stay at home moms and husbands with good jobs? Is it a religious area?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:37 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,241,884 times
I hope everyone that posted a bad opinion of this mom, watches the video. I was skeptical till I watched, and I'm convinced she's a good mom who make a terrible mistake. She didn't grocery shop and go home and unload, like some have stated. Because of where she put the flowers and the broken strap for the toddler in the seat section, her normal order of loading the kids was compromised.

And she sure doesn't look like a druggie or baby making machine to me! I used to take care of 9 kids with 4 different school drop offs & pick ups a day. Only 2 were mine and the rest in my daycare. I never forgot a child, so it was hard to imagine this happening until I heard the mom explain. She made a horrible mistake I hope strangers will let her get past, and hopefully the courts will let this one go. Even IF she goes to jail, I get the feeling she'll do her time and be grateful the officer found her baby and kept him safe.

There's enough sad baby car deaths that sound suspicious to many of us, but this case had a happy ending and I truly believe it was an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events