Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 02:50 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't know why we don't just get rid of state IDs and have a national ID with a chip that serves as a single ID for driver's licenses, concealed-carry permits, etc. This is getting ridiculous.
Actually, that's one thing about the Act, last time I looked at it, that I find amusing; one can't use a concealed carry to meet the requirements.

Amusing because when one considers the fingerprints, the background checks needed to get one............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Here in NH I have to show a picture ID in order to vote. As a relatively liberal Democrat I resent the hell out of having to show that I am who I say I am.

IMHO - Having to show a passport or passport card in order to travel internally is the first step on a short walk to "Papers, Please".

Old 09-24-2015, 03:34 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Law isn't new just that as often happens federal government gave a generous time for compliance. That and or allowed delays via waivers.

States that have failed to comply all have their reasons but you notice it is mainly the ones with large illegal immigrant populations *and* that have been doling out various local "ID" cards. Both California and New York IIRC are among the last holdouts.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:35 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Law isn't new just that as often happens federal government gave a generous time for compliance. That and or allowed delays via waivers.

States that have failed to comply all have their reasons but you notice it is mainly the ones with large illegal immigrant populations *and* that have been doling out various local "ID" cards. Both California and New York IIRC are among the last holdouts.
No, California is compliant.

The four non-compliant states were mentioned in the OP: New York, New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Louisiana, as well as American Samoa.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
I thought I heard that Wisconsin was also on the list for needing a passport starting in January?

Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Here in NH I have to show a picture ID in order to vote. As a relatively liberal Democrat I resent the hell out of having to show that I am who I say I am.

IMHO - Having to show a passport or passport card in order to travel internally is the first step on a short walk to "Papers, Please".
I thought that was strange the first time I voted in NH but I just figured nobody cared because the state is mostly made up of white people. Requiring an ID to vote is only a violation of constitutional rights if non whites are required to show ID.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
We'll be changing our residence from NJ to FL. The funny thing is a NJ drivers license cannot be used as a primary ID, you need a passport or birth cert, but a NY drivers license can be used as a primary ID.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:29 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
As an aside, some countries require passports to travel domestically already.
Those must be the same countries that use that pesky metric system

Old 09-24-2015, 05:48 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Sounds like this is a game to pressure these states to get their licenses up to proper security levels.

And to think New York, with all those government employees working at DMV and what happened in 9/11 in NYC aren't up to proper security level on all NYS drivers licenses at this point? A previous post said they are available on request at NYS DMV but still, come on....they should be in people's hands....now. Years ago for that matter in my view.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:36 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I moved from NY to Florida. When I had to renew my drivers license in NY, all I had to do was show my old license.

In Florida to get a first time license as new resident, you not only need to show your BC, but EVERY TIME you renew your license you have to show that ID all over again. Worse, if you are a married woman, you have to bring your MARRIAGE LICENSE too because the name on your BC will not match your married name. Ever consider that one?????

Real pain having to show BOTH ID even to renew license. I have a Passport and last time I renewed my Florida license I brought my Passport as ID, no questions asked.

BTW, Florida does not have an Enhanced DL but I suppose with all the ID they want every time, they are probably in compliance.

Just imagine what JFK will be like once they require this????? New York residents go on these lines, all other state residents come right through?

Edit: I fly back and forth to NY several times a year. Hell, with this or that state's DL. I will just use my Passport. Nobody questions a US Federal Passport.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-24-2015 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events