Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
BTW, Florida does not have an Enhanced DL but I suppose with all the ID they want every time, they are probably in compliance.
Florida is a REAL ID compliant state.

The Florida DMV lists October 1, 2020 as the date when a driver's license from a noncompliant state will not be enough to board a federally regulated commercial aircraft.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:13 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,476,238 times
Why stop there? Let's make border checks at every damn state line!

Old 09-26-2015, 01:09 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,051,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you need to use the same logic regarding mandatory passports as voter ID cards....

they need to be free if they are mandated.
Free! Goodness if that happens the costs will soar!

Old 09-26-2015, 05:45 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,656,734 times
If this is the case, they need to make getting a passport take less than a month and less $$. I never had one and husband's expired a couple of years ago. First we would need to go somewhere that takes the proper sized photo for each passport, then make an appointment at a post office that handles passports. Go to that appointment, pay over $500 for two passports and wait 3 to 6 weeks.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:58 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
"

Here's some crazy logic: To get a passport I'll first need to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. And to get a copy of my birth certificate I need only to submit a COPY of my driver's license...a copy, no face-to-face, is-that-really-you! SO...a NY DL isn't good enough for flying but it IS good enough to get a birth certificate which gets me a passport which allows me to fly. This makes me dizzy!

!

Looks like everybody either missed or ignore the stupidity of this.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,146,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post

Here's some crazy logic: To get a passport I'll first need to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. And to get a copy of my birth certificate I need only to submit a COPY of my driver's license...a copy, no face-to-face, is-that-really-you! SO...a NY DL isn't good enough for flying but it IS good enough to get a birth certificate which gets me a passport which allows me to fly. This makes me dizzy!
I'm trying to understand what's so "crazy" about this. If you are ordering a birth certificate to get your passport, that means you WERE BORN in that state, which makes you a US Citizen. Just because you have a driver's license does not mean you were born in that state, or any state for that matter. Plenty of people born in foreign countries hold US drivers' licenses and therefore would not be able to use their license to order a birth certificate... because there is no birth certificate to order.

So I think you are the one with the faulty logic.

Please let me know if I have somehow misunderstood you, but it seems to me that you're thinking only of yourself and those like you -- people who were born in this country and therefore actually have a birth certificate they could order with their driver's license. There is another huge category of people who can't do that.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Exclamation [B]There is NO law requiring ID to fly...[/B]

According to the TSA all of this worry and hand wringing is for naught which makes me wonder what the "real" agenda is in forcing people to get a enhanced ID. Same with a passport to return from a visit to Canada or Mexico. NOT REQUIRED.

TSA Travel Tips Tuesday – Can You Fly Without an ID?
While it is much easier to go through screening with the proper identification, you’re not going to cause a snafu if you don’t have it.

If you’re 17 or younger, no problem… you don’t need ID to travel. If you’re 18 or older, no worries… you can still travel.

The TSA Blog: TSA Travel Tips Tuesday – Can You Fly Without an ID?

Last edited by jimj; 09-26-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 09:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,837,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Why stop there? Let's make border checks at every damn state line!
No...when we leave the county and go into another.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,837,738 times
Maybe we should ask Boehner for help on this one....ooops sorry he's gone.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:04 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,679,795 times
Post REAL ID enforcement is set to start sometime in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Last time I flew from MA to NC--two weeks ago--I needed to show only my driver's license.
REAL ID Phase 4 enforcement is set to start sometime in 2016. Probably on November 9th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While it is much easier to go through screening with the proper identification, you’re not going to cause a snafu if you don’t have it.
Correct.

Even next year, you would be allowed to fly without ID, but as always anybody attempting this is required to undergo the "it's not just meant to humiliate you, that's a side-effect" secondary screening.

You still have a right to fly without ID.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 09-26-2015 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: You still have a right to fly without ID. Just not without hassle and a freedom grope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events